DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Camera Vs S-Mode Vs Wind ?

Distracto_o

Reactions
Hey guys,

New to this forum :) I have a concern about the gimbal while its being used in sport mode, in windy conditions (20km/h). Does it damage the gimbal since its quite windy and the mavic in s-mode makes sudden movements ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using MavicPilots mobile app

I have flown flat out in Sport Mode at about 40 MPH with 22 mph winds and my gimbal is perfect!

DJI tests the Mavic out in a variety of conditions to simulate real world flying events and circumstances.

Now crashing is a different story as the position of the gimbal and its mount at the front lower portion of the Mavic Pro puts it in significant risk of damage due to forward crashes.

I have flown flat out in Sport Mode at about 40 MPH with 22 mph winds and my gimbal is perfect!

DJI tests the Mavic out in a variety of conditions to simulate real world flying events and circumstances.

Now crashing is a different story as the position of the gimbal and its mount at the front lower portion of the Mavic Pro puts it in significant risk of damage due to forward crashes.
Thanks for your reply man, was worrying a bit hehe :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using MavicPilots mobile app

I am reading this forum and this kinda starts to scare me. I only did a couple of flights with the Mavic, but already happened to notice flying in high wind, flying in sport mode and doing abrupt maneuvers or any combination of the above manages to jerk the gimbal enough for it to be visible on the footage, and i didn't think it may actually damage it unless i crash it into some wall or a tree, but this kind of posts makes me worry. I really hope the gimbal is designed to withstand the maximum G force the drone can deliver under any conditions, in any mode, except crashes. Hopefully someone can confirm this is, indeed, the case.

I am reading this forum and this kinda starts to scare me. I only did a couple of flights with the Mavic, but already happened to notice flying in high wind, flying in sport mode and doing abrupt maneuvers or any combination of the above manages to jerk the gimbal enough for it to be visible on the footage, and i didn't think it may actually damage it unless i crash it into some wall or a tree, but this kind of posts makes me worry. I really hope the gimbal is designed to withstand the maximum G force the drone can deliver under any conditions, in any mode, except crashes. Hopefully someone can confirm this is, indeed, the case.

Hi mate, i agree with you, but as our friend stated above, DJI beats the crap out of them, so im sure they can withstand the wind, anyways i will not be taking any risks and when its windy i will fly with the gimbal cover on.

I am reading this forum and this kinda starts to scare me...

As you noted, flying faster can increase the stresses put on the gimbal. As noted, DJI also tests the gimbals and devices. If you plan to fly in sports mode, chances are the video quality will not be that good as you are not flying as smoothly as in P mode. With this being the case, you might want to try flying with the clear bubble cover on as a sort of a wind protection. Just a thought.

Touche':D:D:D

First about that bubble, there is an air intake grid right behind the gimbal, with a lot of people on the net saying it's a bad idea to cover it while the machine is powered, which is likely a valid point. Speaking about videos, i have no intention of taking a video while flying aggressively, but i fully expect to be able to switch to gentle/tripod mode, do some footage/stills, switch to sport, move some half a mile horizontally (being scared to death seeing the thing as a little dot in the sky after that), switch back to tripod, shoot some more, then switch back to sport again and return, fast, without causing any damage. I hope my expectation are correct and there is no problem doing that.

Reactions: Distracto_o
That the way to do things. Lift off P Mode. Switch to Sport Mode. Stay low (less wind at lower elevations) and jet off to the location and film in either P mode for more quick shots or slow it way down by shooting in tripod mode. Then click back into Sports Mode and jet back. Mavic can fight the wind better with Sports Mode as there is a higher RPM to the props available as well as an increase "pitch" . If wind is strong P Mode flat out can sometimes just barely make any forward progress.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent