DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal clamp - when to use?

harfordhawk

Reactions
I understand the gimbal clamp is important to use, but when? When I fly from my house, I don't put it on and off, just walking outside and back in. Is it okay to just leave it off unless I take the mavic out in my car , etc transporting it some distance? I do try to be gentle with the craft while moving it around, but not totally gentle of course .. Any thoughts?

Mine is always on when the drone is packed away for transport.

Reactions: Kilrah
For the sake of the few seconds it takes to put it on/remove you may as well have it in at all times you aren't using the mavic, can't hurt.

Reactions: joet and MavicMo
The clamp on my P3P fits like a glove and is easy to take on and off. Am I the only one having issues the the Mavic clamp? I feel like I'm knocking around the camera when trying to put it into place.

The clamp on my P3P fits like a glove and is easy to take on and off. Am I the only one having issues the the Mavic clamp? I feel like I'm knocking around the camera when trying to put it into place.

I agree with you, that clamp truly is the spawn of the devil.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Just a reminder that neither the clamp or bubble/dome have a positive locking mechanism. They will pop off on their own if the MP is dropped with sufficient force for the camera/gimbal to push it off. When you 'transport' or ship the case, make sure you either tape the dome on, or have enough padding under the dome so there isn't any open space between the floor of the case and the dome. Once both come off, the gimbal and camera are completely unprotected for the rest of the transport/shipment.

I actually find the MP one much easier and more effective, my P3P one was often falling out and of the 3 I had delivered over time all of them arrived with it off, I have had 2 MPs, one of which arrived with a dented box having clearly been dropped and in both the clamp was firmly place on arrival.

I found the trick is to slightly nudge the camera so its facing more straight forward (there is no resistance once its powered down) then to push the clamp up ensuring the slot aligns with the notch on the camera base.

I turn the Mavic upside down, hold the camera lens barrel with one hand and insert the clamp with the other. it is very easy to install this way and the camera will not dodge the clamp as it will otherwise.

Reactions: KevinT and Kennetf
I turn the Mavic upside down, hold the camera lens barrel with one hand and insert the clamp with the other. it is very easy to install this way and the camera will not dodge the clamp as it will otherwise.

That's exactly what I do, but half the time I end up wrestling with it. Must be too clumsy.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I actually find the MP one much easier and more effective, my P3P one was often falling out and of the 3 I had delivered over time all of them arrived with it off, I have had 2 MPs, one of which arrived with a dented box having clearly been dropped and in both the clamp was firmly place on arrival.

The retail packaging of the MP has a black plastic dish in which the MP sits. That dish conforms to the dome covering the camera, and therefore provides the upward support. Most cases have a flat bottom in the cutout where the MP rests. That means there's >1/2" of clearance between the floor and the bottom of the dome.

The retail packaging of the MP has a black plastic dish in which the MP sits. That dish conforms to the dome covering the camera, and therefore provides the upward support. Most cases have a flat bottom in the cutout where the MP rests. That means there's >1/2" of clearance between the floor and the bottom of the dome.
Indeed, but still I have never had the clamp fall out yet, but it happened a lot on the P3P, I think it's a better design overall, just takes a bit of practice to get used to putting it in and out.

If you're the one transporting then I think it wouldn't come off. But ship it, or check it as baggage, it's more likely. It did for me when I dropped my case from a couple feet up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3