DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Cover......DJI say on?!!

chrism

Reactions
So, I know this has been discussed a 1001 times and I know and agree peoples views on removing the cover due to the fan behind the gimbal......but, I've been watching a few official DJI videos and they always seem to have the gimbal cover on (see example video below)

What are peoples views on this - is there official guidelines from DJI on whether this should be removed or not? Personally I remove mine before each flight but now I'm starting the wonder!!

Reactions: Seamus
If you leave it on the footage won't be how they show it ;)

On or off is your choice. Might be good for newbs to leave it on at first so that while they'll get crappy footage it protects the gimbal a bit on their first crashes...

I'm out son.

At no point in that 'example' you've given do DJI show the cover on in actual flight.

Enjoy your Mavic Pro.

it's on in flight at 0:45 ;)

I keep mine on in bad conditions when it snows or when it's foggy, otherwise I keep it off.

Reactions: chrism
  1. I'm out son.

At no point in that 'example' you've given do DJI show the cover on in actual flight.

Enjoy your Mavic Pro.

No worries, it was on multiple times, just in case you missed it.......:)
    1. 43 seconds (2 Mavics),
    2. 45 seconds,
    3. 1min 5 seconds,
    4. 1 min 33 seconds,
    5. 1 min 45 seconds,
    6. 2 mins 10 seconds,
    7. 3 mins 51 seconds
    8. 4 mins 9 seconds

Last edited:
I think they like to show it with cover on to make it look more rugged. But, the instruction manual clearly says to take it off and if you've ever recorded video with it on you'd know that quality is significantly reduced.

In short, do whatever you want :)

Thanks - I haven't tried recording with the cover on yet but can imagine it wouldn't be great!

I'll stick to leaving it off, was just interesting that a number of their videos had it on - maybe it is for the rugged look!

For me - OFF. I don't want anything but an ND filter between the lens and my subject. Too many chances for flares and distortion.

Reactions: Oingo Boingo
From the DJI store ................... "Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight."

Mavic - Gimbal Cover | DJI Store

I would definitely fly with it on while learning if this is ones first drone . I would keep it on in humid conditions or when flight is at high risk of crashing .
It may cause overheating on the very hottest of days but the fan draws plenty of air through the slot and other areas when it is on .

Interesting and agreed - there must be plenty of ventilation for DJI to suggest leaving it on if desired.

So it's ok to leave on to protect if you're exploring and 'zooming' around in sport mode but if you want the best quality picture, you are recommended to remove it.

Reactions: rydfree
I prefer to take it off.... Bit i have flown in rain before when covering MTB events. Then i would keep it on.. But its your call, the dome does give quute a bit of lensflare

The only video issues I have noticed in other pilots videos with cover on, is due to glare. If you use the cover with any @PolarPro filter you will never see any glare. If you do use the cover, then treat it as if it is a lens. Meaning keep it clean and clear as possible.

Btw, several people will post and say to not use the cover per cooling issues. They will say when the cover is on, it will restrict air from entering the Mavic and cause it to run hot, thus shortening the Mavics life.

I have had a chance to do some bench testing on the intake and internal air flow. It may shock some but the air intake behind the gimbal, has nothing to do with cooling the Mavic internally. When the fan runs, it sends air through a small area at the bottom of the fan. Then the air travels in the channels along the very bottom outside of the Mavic. So, the only time the fan does any good is when the aircraft is sitting still, and not in flight.

The 'Official' DJI video has it on.....so in my eyes, they are saying leave it on?

Think about it,putting cheap plastic on expensive optical gear. The quality lense glass (it's of the most expensive type) is never of more quality than something in front of it. So cheap plastic is the quality of photograph taken trough cheap plastic.

Don't you think they would have used cheap material for the lens if this was the case?

Those guys own hasselblad for christ sake. If they say you should keep it on, the world of photography is going down with hasselblad..... ‍♂️

Reactions: larkin
As you wrote, it has been discussed 1001 times, so I would say: do as you want, as you feel it ;-)
Would you like to put any kind of a plastic globe in front of a camera lens for filming or taking pictures? If your answer is yes, then do it.

I'm not agreeing with DJI - all I'm saying is that's it interesting that they leave it on during their official promotional videos....as mentioned in my original post, I take it off :)

Think about it,putting cheap plastic on expensive optical gear. The quality lense glass (it's of the most expensive type) is never of more quality than something in front of it. So cheap plastic is the quality of photograph taken trough cheap plastic.

Don't you think they would have used cheap material for the lens if this was the case?

Those guys own hasselblad for christ sake. If they say you should keep it on, the world of photography is going down with hasselblad..... ‍♂️

This said, I have to add that if I where racing or flying fpv for the sake of flying fpv I would leave it on. But for any photography, stills or videos, take it off or else suck St photography... It really is a matter of choice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura