DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal goes off by 10 degrees when flying forward.

Harry P

Reactions
Hi
my Mavic has a problem with it's gimbal when I go forward the image tilts to the right by ten degrees. It always sorts it's self out again when i stop.
Does anyone know how this could be fixed?

You can adjust gimbal roll while in the air by using gimbal roll adjustment. Tilted horizon problem has been a common one throughout the Phantom and Mavic series. Or if you have 2 weeks to spare, send it in.

This is normal with cross wind. I was test flying my Mavic before selling it and it was doing the same thing. I then flew a brand new Mavic the exact same path and it did the identical thing.

I'd wait. IMU, Compass and Gimbal calibrations. Do it on a completely level surface. Use a bubble to measure. Make sure you Gimbal roll is set to zero when you do it. I'm sure this will get better with time or firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

When you are hovering in a sideways wind the Mavic will tilt into the wind to maintain its position. You can verify this is caused by wind by turning around 180 degrees and it should tilt in the opposite direction. If it's consistently in the same direction you can adjust it, but otherwise, this is completely normal. I flew two completely calibrated factory reset Mavics and both did the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Guys, the gimbal can only turn left right, up down. There is no third axis for tilt (the gimbal tilt adjustment in the settings adjusts the image not the camera). So, when you are hovering in a sideways wind the Mavic will tilt into the wind to maintain its position. You can verify this is caused by wind by turning around 180 degrees and it should tilt in the opposite direction. If it's consistently in the same direction you can adjust it, but otherwise, this is completely normal. I flew two completely calibrated factory reset Mavics and both did the exact same thing.
My understanding of the Mavic with an advertised 3 axis gimbal.

Pitch Gimbal (camera up and down mostly for stabilization during starts and stops). Yaw Gimbal(camera moves left and right). The yaw stabilization only works a few degrees to minimize the jerky motion sometimes seen during rotation. (Enable gimbal sync follow). The third gimbal axis should compensate for roll. It does this by rotating the camera. If you hand hold the Mavic and roll side to side the camera will compensate by turning to stay level.

This roll axis is what many seem to have a problem with as the AC turns. There is a lag in its ability to compensate for a tilted horizon. In some cases the roll axis compensates and brings the horizon level after a delay. In other more severe cases the roll axis will not completely compensate and the horizon remains off level. I always thought (but will have to confirm) that while adjusting the gimbal tilt in the software it was very slightly mechanically moving the rotation of the camera a small amount to achieve level.

What I don't understand is the acceptance of this problem as being normal. A 3 axis gimbal should compensate for roll, pitch and yaw. In the case of cross winds where the AC may have to roll a bit to compensate, the roll Gimbal should also compensate to keep the camera and image level. Same with turns where the AC may roll a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobertD and rfc0001
I think in my situation, the wind exceeded its ability to level it out, as even hovering it was tilted, and doing a 180 it was tilted the opposite direction. All I can say is this consistently repro'd on two Mavics in the same conditions, including one brand new out of the box, and the other having been factory reset and re-calibrated (vision sensors, compass, gimbal). YMMV.

I think in my situation, the wind exceeded its ability to level it out, as even hovering it was tilted, and doing a 180 it was tilted the opposite direction. All I can say is this consistently repro'd on two Mavics in the same conditions, including one brand new out of the box, and the other having been factory reset and re-calibrated (vision sensors, compass, gimbal). YMMV.
That would make sense if the cross winds were extreme enough. The camera is only able to rotate in the roll axis so far. Did yours also have tilt issues with no wind after a turn?

Interesting the feedback on this. Some state it tilts after turns then corrects (mine), some say it won't correct and stays tilted, some say tilting is all normal, some say normal and FW will eventually correct, and the lucky group at the end say no problems at all. A DJI rep on the other forum is now saying it should be level at all times regardless of maneuver. There are many reported cases of this which means there is a real QC issue and DJI will be very busy with warranty work because of their lack of QC.

That would make sense if the cross winds were extreme enough. The camera is only able to rotate in the roll axis so far. Did yours also have tilt issues with no wind after a turn?

Interesting the feedback on this. Some state it tilts after turns then corrects (mine), some say it won't correct and stays tilted, some say tilting is all normal, some say normal and FW will eventually correct, and the lucky group at the end say no problems at all. A DJI rep on the other forum is now saying it should be level at all times regardless of maneuver. There are many reported cases of this which means there is a real QC issue and DJI will be very busy with warranty work because of their lack of QC.

There was a delay correcting the tilt at rest and after turning AFAIR. Happening with 1.03.02 and 1.03.03 firmware. Upgraded to 1.03.04 today - haven't flown yet to see if I can repro.

Last edited:
Just tested this in similar wind conditions with 1.03.04. The tilt was not as pronounced, and quickly leveled off after stopping. The tilt sill occurs while flying perpendicular to wind in Sports mode (the gimbal doesn't seem to correct itself while flying in Sports mode - only after you stop). Not sure if this is a "feature" of Sports mode?

Thanks for the follow up.

I've come to believe that Horizontal Tilt is an issue many are experiencing, although at this point based on the responses on this forum and others, the percentage of pilots experiencing this is difficult to determine. I believe many have not noticed it (some cases are more severe than others), or it simply doesn't bother them.

Just for curiosity, I may post a survey when time.

I disagree. I have tilted the mavic in my hand until the gimbal can't correct its self. the needed angle is 55 degrees. If i was flying then by this point the drone would of crashed.

stupid question time......
I take it you are in FOLLOW mode and not FPV mode?
not wishing to upset anyone if this question is dumb, sorry if it is.....

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

My understanding of the Mavic with an advertised 3 axis gimbal.

Pitch Gimbal (camera up and down mostly for stabilization during starts and stops). Yaw Gimbal(camera moves left and right). The yaw stabilization only works a few degrees to minimize the jerky motion sometimes seen during rotation. (Enable gimbal sync follow). The third gimbal axis should compensate for roll. It does this by rotating the camera. If you hand hold the Mavic and roll side to side the camera will compensate by turning to stay level.

This roll axis is what many seem to have a problem with as the AC turns. There is a lag in its ability to compensate for a tilted horizon. In some cases the roll axis compensates and brings the horizon level after a delay. In other more severe cases the roll axis will not completely compensate and the horizon remains off level. I always thought (but will have to confirm) that while adjusting the gimbal tilt in the software it was very slightly mechanically moving the rotation of the camera a small amount to achieve level.

What I don't understand is the acceptance of this problem as being normal. A 3 axis gimbal should compensate for roll, pitch and yaw. In the case of cross winds where the AC may have to roll a bit to compensate, the roll Gimbal should also compensate to keep the camera and image level. Same with turns where the AC may roll a bit.

I totally agree! Just because the camera "does the same thing" doesn't mean it is normal or correct. A three-axis gimbal camera is designed, or should be, to compensate for vibration and unstable flight conditions. Not every movement will be eliminated, but if the camera jumps 10 degrees when rolling in flight, that needs correction. Gimbal parameters can be set [compensate] to match fight parameters.

I disagree. I have tilted the mavic in my hand until the gimbal can't correct its self. the needed angle is 55 degrees. If i was flying then by this point the drone would of crashed.
I agree. I haven't taken the time to look at the amount of correction of the roll Gimbal (to correct horizontal tilt), but if it can correct up to 55 degrees then it should be able to compensate for any cross wind

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada