DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Gimbal Motor Overloaded" = Worthless Mavic

RC5728

Reactions

I have the same issue as in the video above. Gimbal freaks out and fails to initiate, and says it's overloaded. I tried the fix in that video and it doesn't work for me.

This is the 2nd Mavic in ONE WEEK that has bricked out on me and become worthless because of this issue.

I sent the first one in to DJI for repair, bought another one on Amazon to use in the meantime (currently traveling), and now the 2nd one has also stopped working after a week.

This is piss poor quality control from DJI, and as far as I'm aware there is still no acknowledgement from them of this issue even though a lot of people are experiencing it.

What do I do now? Keep buying a new Mavic every week? And what can I do with the 2nd Mavic? Can I return it to Amazon for a refund?

And is there any way to get back the $200 I wasted on DJI Care Refresh to cover BOTH of these defective drones?

Reactions: Zorrobazz
Have to checked the video cable is not bent and catching? Mine has started to do this and I'm thinking it's a major design flaw.

Reactions: cronkflyer

I have the same issue as in the video above. Gimbal freaks out and fails to initiate, and says it's overloaded. I tried the fix in that video and it doesn't work for me.

This is the 2nd Mavic in ONE WEEK that has bricked out on me and become worthless because of this issue.

I sent the first one in to DJI for repair, bought another one on Amazon to use in the meantime (currently traveling), and now the 2nd one has also stopped working after a week.

This is piss poor quality control from DJI, and as far as I'm aware there is still no acknowledgement from them of this issue even though a lot of people are experiencing it.

What do I do now? Keep buying a new Mavic every week? And what can I do with the 2nd Mavic? Can I return it to Amazon for a refund?

And is there any way to get back the $200 I wasted on DJI Care Refresh to cover BOTH of these defective drones?

It seems unusual that you would get the same problem twice. Is there any chance that you are forgetting to remove the gimbal clamp?

I managed to fix the issue (yes!) by using a small screwdriver and correcting the alignment and un twisting the small ribbon cable of the camera.

It now clears gimbal calibration for first time too and does not knock on startup.

Try it. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaComms and flodi
I managed to fix the issue (yes!) by using a small screwdriver and correcting the alignment and un twisting the small ribbon cable of the camera.

It now clears gimbal calibration for first time too and does not knock on startup.

Try it. Good luck!
Thanks, do you have a picture of which ribbon it is and what it should look like?

I'm driving now but I can try it in a couple hours.

You just told the exact story I went through for last 2 months. I was so pissed when unit arrived. Packed in peanuts and Gimbal lock and cover were not attached!!!
I got second Mavic and DJI Care again. (Glutten for punishment). Gimbal Overload warning 2 times now. Grrrr

Happened to me for the first time this weekend after a 200 mile trip in my bag. Did a restart and did it again, removed the PolarPro ND filter and it worked fine, turned it off and re-installed the filter and it fired up OK. Have traveled with it before and never had this, and I am still on.500 FW.

Thanks, do you have a picture of which ribbon it is and what it should look like?

I'm driving now but I can try it in a couple hours.

This thing. Mine was actually twisted and i was getting overload errors, failing calibration and mid flight shaking and resets due to it stopping the movement of the gimbel.

Now its curved and allows the full movement.

DSF1554.jpg

DSF1554-copy.jpg

This thing. Mine was actually twisted and i was getting overload errors, failing calibration and mid flight shaking and resets due to it stopping the movement of the gimbel.

Mine is already curved like that, not twisted, so maybe we have different problems.

I already initiated a return for refund (thankfully I bought it from Amazon so no issues there), and I will be buying a new Mavic and transferring my DJI Care Refresh to it.

I will be VERY surprised if my 3rd Mavic doesn't start suffering from the same thing though.

DJI really needs to look into this problem ASAP.

Mine is already curved like that, not twisted, so maybe we have different problems.

I already initiated a return for refund (thankfully I bought it from Amazon so no issues there), and I will be buying a new Mavic and transferring my DJI Care Refresh to it.

I will be VERY surprised if my 3rd Mavic doesn't start suffering from the same thing though.

DJI really needs to look into this problem ASAP.

Third time lucky!!?!

DSF1554.jpg

DSF1554-copy.jpg

That ribbon cable being exposed the way it is has always worried me...How did yours become twisted? Was it difficult to untwist?

That ribbon cable being exposed the way it is has always worried me...How did yours become twisted? Was it difficult to untwist?

It's a real weak point. Very fragile. I'm not sure how it got twisted- but did have an incident with a tree :D It could also be the gimbel clamp- as this pushes on it. But yeah- so fragile.

My first MP had a drop onto grass from about 2 meters as the battery voltage dropped dramatically and it didn't self land, it just cut off. After that it had the gimbal obstruction error so I returned for replacement less than 24 hours after buying it. The second one clipped a bookshelf and flopped onto carpet from less than a meter, the gimbal vibration plate broke which would have been an easy fix but that ribbon cable also broke so I returned it for replacement less than 24 hours later. Onto my third one now, I have learnt not to fly under 30%, not to fly indoors and that the gimbal is a very delicate and extremely weak point on this otherwise quite tough machine. I always install and remove the clamp very carefully, I put the clamp straight on as soon as I power off and remove it just before powering on. I think even just handling the MP turned off without the gimbal clamp could damage it but I may be just paranoid now.

My first MP had a drop onto grass from about 2 meters as the battery voltage dropped dramatically and it didn't self land, it just cut off. After that it had the gimbal obstruction error so I returned for replacement less than 24 hours after buying it. The second one clipped a bookshelf and flopped onto carpet from less than a meter, the gimbal vibration plate broke which would have been an easy fix but that ribbon cable also broke so I returned it for replacement less than 24 hours later. Onto my third one now, I have learnt not to fly under 30%, not to fly indoors and that the gimbal is a very delicate and extremely weak point on this otherwise quite tough machine. I always install and remove the clamp very carefully, I put the clamp straight on as soon as I power off and remove it just before powering on. I think even just handling the MP turned off without the gimbal clamp could damage it but I may be just paranoid now.
Yep the gimbal is very fragile.

But in my case, there was no crash or damage involved to either of my 2 mavics.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy