DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Obstruction. Auto-restarting.

csader

Reactions
I've been flying the Mavic all day, but the last time I tried, I keep getting this error:
"Gimbal Obstructed. Auto-Restart in Progress."

The camera seems like it's trying to turn, but sometimes makes a click and points to the right, like it's jammed or something. I've tried turning off the Mavic and moving it by hand and nothing really seems wrong with it.

I called support and they recommended doing a Gimbal Auto Calibration, but when I try, it doesn't do anything. I don't get the progress bar like it's supposed to give me, I assume because the gimbal is erroring out.

Any ideas?

I've tried resetting factory settings via DJI Assistant, I've recalibrated the IMU. I'm sort of at a loss and don't really want to have to send it off for repair already.

065822q7p111za2wa22yz4.jpg

065821l8hj766dgfj26oe5.jpg

I've been flying the Mavic all day, but the last time I tried, I keep getting this error:
"Gimbal Obstructed. Auto-Restart in Progress."

The camera seems like it's trying to turn, but sometimes makes a click and points to the right, like it's jammed or something. I've tried turning off the Mavic and moving it by hand and nothing really seems wrong with it.

I called support and they recommended doing a Gimbal Auto Calibration, but when I try, it doesn't do anything. I don't get the progress bar like it's supposed to give me, I assume because the gimbal is erroring out.

Any ideas?

I've tried resetting factory settings via DJI Assistant, I've recalibrated the IMU. I'm sort of at a loss and don't really want to have to send it off for repair already.

065822q7p111za2wa22yz4.jpg

065821l8hj766dgfj26oe5.jpg

Ahh man sorry that looks like a possible HW issues.

Just going through the basics,

Gimbal clamp off obviously ?

Gimbal is free to move with no restriction ?

How does it feel, not stiff or catching ?

I would try hooking it up to DJI Assistant 2 PC or MAC app and refresh the firmware.

Then perform an IMU followed by a Gimbal Calibration.

If that does not work and the gimbal is not restricted in any way then it's sadly a hardware issue and would need to go into DJI

I really feel for you as it's a crap position to be in but there will always be random failures, often more so at product launches.

Perhaps Tahoe will have some beret suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic_Man504
Did you accidently fly around with the gimbal clamp on??

Are you able to use the portrait mode?? If it cannot rotate then it will likely be a hardware issue.

And make sure the do IMU when the phantom is cold. DJI states to leave it off for 20minutes.
I hear the that calibration now takes longer as you have to do it on 5 different axisisisis (what's plural for axis?)

Last edited:
Reactions: PilotMan7700
there's bound to be some units that will be U/S on delivery. Not to many i hope.

OK guys -- so I am having the same issue and also the video looks like Jello-vision. The gimbal is totally free to move and the software thinks it's obstructed.

Disclosure: I did not crash my drone. I have only had it since Thursday night. I have only flown it a few times and treated it with kid-gloves.

Troubleshooting:
1.) Updated to the latest firmware as of 11/14/16
2.) Re-calibrated IMU
3.) Re-calibrated Camera

Outcome:
1 time out of 20, depending on the situation, the gimbal will reset properly but never on the first try (when I first turn it on). And even when the gimbal does reset and I can control the movement the video looks like "jello-vision". I have detailed this in a video I made this morning for DJI to look at.

No point in messing with it just go through DJI support for an RMA...

Reactions: Jeff512
Gimbal is hitting the top metal bracket causing the error on startup. Detailed the issue to Tahoe Ed who will send it to DJI. The start up calibration needs to be Slowed down.....

Gimbal is hitting the top metal bracket causing the error on startup. Detailed the issue to Tahoe Ed who will send it to DJI. The start up calibration needs to be Slowed down.....

Sending back to DJI today.

JT

I hear you, mine hit too. I pulled it down physically too stretch it at it seemed to work. It will function fine once it gets past the start up error due to the violent jerky fast sequence of the camera. Make a note to tell DJI to slow down that initialization and it will be fine. In retrospect, they should have given a couple of mm more room.

PS, sent this video to Tahoe Ed. He's an important asset to us and I'm sure he will advocate a firmware update to slow this sequence down. No need for that gimbal to swing that fast and wild IMO.

PS, sent this video to Tahoe Ed. He's an important asset to us and I'm sure he will advocate a firmware update to slow this sequence down. No need for that gimbal to swing that fast and wild IMO.

That's good. It really is fast and violent (and loud) and I think the reason the video becomes Jello-ish is because it's whacking the camera against the metal bracket during initialization. Sucks man, who knows when I'll get a replacement.

Did you accidently fly around with the gimbal clamp on??

Are you able to use the portrait mode?? If it cannot rotate then it will likely be a hardware issue.

And make sure the do IMU when the phantom is cold. DJI states to leave it off for 20minutes.
I hear the that calibration now takes longer as you have to do it on 5 different axisisisis (what's plural for axis?)

Would that be axes?

It's not software related. The camera back hits the metal bracket above it as a result of the initiation sequence.....check out how violent and fast that process happens. It's hitting the bracket causing the obstruction error. Slow the initialization down, problem stops.

Been flying mavic for two weeks with no issues, now I have the same clicking and gimbal obstruction problem as described above. It is hitting the L-bracket. Any solutions? On one startup today I was able to get it to act normally, but not now. I did remove the clear sticker on top of the gimbal. Was I not supposed to do so?

My nervous gimbal twitching problems have been from either the gimbal tab hanging on top of the bracket, or from magnetic interference with the remote. I had a name tag with a magnetic clasp on my shirt abd experienced gimbal twitching, and the Mavic spinning out of control. Gimbal calibration would not complete. But, when I removed the name tag, gimbal calibration worked, and then Mavic flew ok with no camera twitching. Might not be your problem, but make sure to remove all metal objects, especially anything magnetic, from all pockets

If they have not already I do think they need to reduce the calibration speed of the Gimbal ......

If they have not already I do think they need to reduce the calibration speed of the Gimbal ......
I second this. My Mavic was received yesterday at DJI repair. We will see what they say and I'll post DJI's fix / comments here as soon as I hear from them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS