DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Obstruction. Auto-restarting.

I'm looking at jello-y Mavic video too. Mainly when facing into the wind above tree level. No jello when inside, almost none when outside and not facing the wind.

It looks to me as though the gimbal is seated properly... (these photos were taken less than a minute after landing from a flight affected by jello video.)

I have had my Mavic for 4 days, and flown it outside maybe three times. I have been paranoiacally gentle with every touch and movement involving it.

Last night I took the issue to DJI-Ken (Mavic Pro Tutorial videos) and he recommended a gimbal calibration.

Can anyone explain how one calibrates a Mavic gimbal? I don't want to mess up and do it wrong, so I'm asking here ahead of time.

After I calibrate the gimbal this evenng and fly, if the jello persists, I'm going to call the number he gave me and pray for this quad's salvation.

Attachments

• 20161122_161711.jpg
    20161122_161711.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 102
  • 20161122_161718.jpg
    20161122_161718.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
Problem may be with IMU. At direction of DJI folks I calibrated IMU and it seemed to fix the problem initially, but as soon as you turn it off and on again the problem re-occurs and you have to go through the calibration once again. Meanwhile, the gimbal continues to beat itself to death. Returning to DJI
today.

Problem may be with IMU. At direction of DJI folks I calibrated IMU and it seemed to fix the problem initially, but as soon as you turn it off and on again the problem re-occurs and you have to go through the calibration once again. Meanwhile, the gimbal continues to beat itself to death. Returning to DJI
today.
Have you done a gimbal re-calibration after a successful imu calibration? Once done, exit the app first then turn off mavic. This ensures the settings are written to the mavic. If you power down mavic first then controller, then sometimes the settings will NOT apply.

Usually the JELLO happens when there is contact with the drone and the gimbal. The wind can blow it a little I suppose.

The test should be put the dome on and see if it does the same thing at the same height etc.

If the dome stops it, your gimbal must have some mounting issues

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've had the same problem with the gimbal after I left the unit on for a while to test the new app on my Samsung S7. I'm guessing it was an overheating issue. DJI support had me recalibrate everything. Gimbal wouldn't recalibrate until after the IMU and compass. I noted the two compass readings were quite disparate prior to recalibration. It's working now but if this happens every time the Mavic is used for an hour that will be no joy!

I've had the same problem with the gimbal after I left the unit on for a while to test the new app on my Samsung S7. I'm guessing it was an overheating issue. DJI support had me recalibrate everything. Gimbal wouldn't recalibrate until after the IMU and compass. I noted the two compass readings were quite disparate prior to recalibration. It's working now but if this happens every time the Mavic is used for an hour that will be no joy!

I have recalibrated the IMU, compass, and Gimbal. When that works, the clicking stops....until you turn it off and on again, at which time it starts all over again! On the other hand, if I just turn it upside down during startup, that seems to fix it too... go figure. Will probably send it back anyway.

Haha. The old upside down trick. I'm sure that would mean something to the DJI engineers. I'd return that one. Hopefully mine was the overheating.

Mine was more or less the same situation as above. It at first would not start properly and had the gimbal error, I found that if I turned it upside down it would start up correctly. After I started it 2 or 3 times I now get Jello video.

Same issue here after 2 days, I had a crash with mine and broke a tip off one of the blades and the gimbal problems started after that.
Will try some of the calibrations mentioned and turning upside down but a trip back to DJI may be on the cards.
Sounds like this issue could become a big reason for returns unless one of us finds a solution.
I will post if I find any fix.

Called today to check the status of my RMA. They have approved a replacement Mavic even though I did not have DJI care. I have requested a refund because they don't have a Mavic to give me nor can they give me an estimate on a ship date. I waited on the phone with DJI for over an hour going back and forth over my order and they are submitting my case through a "process" to be refunded.

Called today to check the status of my RMA. They have approved a replacement Mavic even though I did not have DJI care. I have requested a refund because they don't have a Mavic to give me nor can they give me an estimate on a ship date. I waited on the phone with DJI for over an hour going back and forth over my order and they are submitting my case through a "process" to be refunded.
Thanks for that update. Argh. I was worried about that. My gimbal is working again for the moment. I had to calibrate everything twice. Hopefully it stays fixed. I will wait to return when they can guarantee a time frame. Good luck and sorry for your loss!!!

Is there any chance the problem you guys are having it related to this? (see 0:20)

Is there any chance the problem you guys are having it related to this? (see 0:20)
Definitely not the problem in my case. No hard landings and I checked that right away. Either overheating, magnetic anomaly, or a hardware problem.

Reactions: Boscobrown
Hi
I have recalibrated the IMU, compass, and Gimbal. When that works, the clicking stops....until you turn it off and on again, at which time it starts all over again! On the other hand, if I just turn it upside down during startup, that seems to fix it too... go figure. Will probably send it back anyway.
I'm having the same problem, when you say Turn IT upside down, did you mean the drone itself? I tried, no luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929