DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal problem followed by motor overload warning.

Pedro

Reactions
Just out for quick flight this evening and after 5 minutes the gimbal started dancing about. Landed and tried again and it was fine. I can't recall when it popped up but the dreaded gimbal motor overload warning did show. Hopefully it was a one off but had anybody else had this happen? Any thoughts?

Btw the clamp was obviously off and the gimbal is seated properly..

Thanks.

Last edited:
At about 1m4s you gimbaled down, gimbaled up, then did a 270° yaw to the left, gimbaled down, and then the gimbal started pitching. Not sure that caused the enexpected pitching and Im not saying its not the equipments fault, but I usually make my yaws more gradual to help the gimbal keep up with the aircraft.

Reactions: Pedro
You probably already know this, but the gimbal overload message will usually appear when one of the gimbal motors is binding and not able to reach the axis your are inputting from the controller. This happens alot after a crash when one of the motors or potentiometers on that motors' circuit board has been damaged. In normal flight it shouldnt happen unless the pilot is placing an undue load on the gimbal motors and they cant overcome the force to adjust correctly. It happens sometimes in level flight on windy days when turning, especially when winds are in excess of 15mph. It also happens when pilots fly in sport mode WOT and then jam on the brakes.

It happens most times when the pilot forgets to take off the gimbal clamp, but yours was already off.

tons of issues with the gimbal. i had this message too on an even surface not at flight without ever damaging the Mavic or changing anything, also had the gimbal twitching issue when in flight and now that is gone too after i upgraded to FW .0400 but still got my cam knocking on the gimbal limits during start up. it is a very delicate device the gimbal and one of the weakest parts on the mavic.
i am going to open and RMA to DJI Monday as i am begining to feed up with all of the issues that my gimbal had even though i take grate care of my mavic and i am an experienced user of DJI drones.

Last edited:
At about 1m4s you gimbaled down, gimbaled up, then did a 270° yaw to the left, gimbaled down, and then the gimbal started pitching. Not sure that caused the enexpected pitching and Im not saying its not the equipments fault, but I usually make my yaws more gradual to help the gimbal keep up with the aircraft.

Thanks but the video was speeded up at 4x at that point, I have my gimbal pitch speed set very slow and my yaw exp at 15 so there was nothing very fast about the movements there. I'll try her again later, hopefully it was just a glitch and not the start of a problem as this Mavic has been perfect in all respects so far..

My first Mavic developed a gimbal issue after 3 months and I started getting the gimbal motor message plus it had the out of focus patch so that went back to DJI. This one isn't the replacement that DJI sent me, I sold that and bought another new one, this one.

I've added the speed to the video now:

tons of issues with the gimbal. i had this message too on an even surface not at flight without every damaging the Mavic or changing anything, also had the gimbal twitching issue when in flight and now that is gone too after i upgraded to FW .0400 but still got my cam knocking on the gimbal limits during start up. it is a very delicate device the gimbal and on of the weakest parts on the mavic.
i am going to open and RMA to DJI Monday as i am bringing to feed up with all of the issues that my gimbal had even though i take grate care of my mavic and i am an experienced user of DJI drones.

Regrettably, I think that you're quite right to open a case with DJI..

Reactions: Mr Spock
Have done a camera reset and gimbal auto calibration just for luck, will see how it is later on..

So I did an 8 minute flight this evening and no re-occurrence so fingers crossed it was just a glitch..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest