DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Roll Snapped to 45 Degrees Mid-Flight

BigSky

Reactions
I was flying in moderate wind and the horizon suddenly snapped to 45 degrees. It corrected itself but the next time I launched I received a "gimbal obstructed error". At this point I no longer receive the error but something doesn't seem quite right with the gimbal. It's slower to respond and doesn't seem to hold a level horizon consistently.

Has anyone seen or heard of this happening before? I'm thinking I need to send it back but hate to part with the old girl!

It might be your roll motor is out of synch, or possibly damaged. Try doing a gimbal autocalibration and if that doenst work you might need to send it in for factory repair.

Sound like this happened with my Mavic today too. Latest firmware and iOS devices. I was recording video when it happened and it stopped recording by itself just before the gimbal got twitchy. Then it automatically recorded two seconds showing the heavy tilt like you are describing. The gimbal panned up and the camera rolled on a 45 degree angle to the right. Fingers were not on the record or gimbal pan buttons. I finished the flight and brought it home for inspection. No issues. Never crashed either, prefer to be operating above everything to prevent that anyway.

So after inspecting I put a new battery in and flew it with no issues. I've never received any gimbal warnings. I've never left the gimbal clamp on either. Part of my pre flight is that the gimbal clamp has to be in my hand before a battery is put into the Mavic. I pulled the dat file for the bad flight and it does show rapid gimbal movements for a very brief period. Since I couldn't get the problem to repeat I'm unsure what to do right now. If it happens again, I suppose I'll sent the dat file to DJI for review and get their opinion. My Mavic has 6 hours of flight time and I received it 2/2/17.

Any ideas? Should I go ahead and contact DJI? Or wait for another incident?

Other than this odd occurrence this drone has been fun to fly and I've really enjoyed operating it!

My gimbal did this last night. Taking video, and all of a sudden the camera showed a large tilt. The quad was also not behaving very well, not quite it's responsive past self but no problems landing it manually.

I brought it home, and didn't see any obvious error messages.

Changed the battery, took off, and the gimbal when off center again after a few minutes.

I will try some of the fixes noted on here lator today.

Happened to me too. It was my first flight after .500 update. I've had no issues before. Did you do an update recently? I just want to rule that out if it has nothing to do with the gimbal.
Gimbal obstructed

Happened to me too. It was my first flight after .500 update. I've had no issues before. Did you do an update recently? I just want to rule that out if it has nothing to do with the gimbal.
Gimbal obstructed

No updates. I received the it March 1, and figured it had the most recent version, but I will check.

Reviewing this website, and YT videos, it appears this is a fairly common problem.

Interesting, I had no issues until I panned the camera all the way down 2 days ago. I was over a boat marina with vertical pilings, boats, and water. I was wondering if these "non flat", vertical things the camera was filming somehow caused conflict? IE, it became confused as to its true verses perceived horizontal axis?

i have the same issue with my mavic pro gimbal camera view being 45 degrees out of sync. I've tried to recenter and re-calibrate but after each power down/up the camera view is the same. No crashes etc so I'm really concerned about flying the drone after what seems to be a widespread issue after a software update. is the only option to send the drone back to DJI?? (app info is 4.2.16 both aircraft and RC 0.1.04.0300) any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60