DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal slow to stop moving?

seqiro

Reactions
Hello!

I'm new to the Mavic and this is my first post so first, hello everyone!

So living in Massachusetts I haven't had a lot of great weather for flying until recently so I'm just getting started with taking pictures and video now that I've learned to fly it. So far I have been pretty happy with the results and having a great time flying, but last night I had some trouble with twilight/night photos and I'm looking for advice.

Basically, except for the first picture I took, none of my pictures came out clear. Even getting to a 0.6 sec exposure they were blurry. Now I knew things weren't going to be perfect since this isn't the P4P, but I was surprised how bad they were. There was no noticeable wind. But the problem definitely looked like motion blur and not focusing problems (which I did have at first). And why did the first shot come out ok?

So today I experimented a bit. I had the Mavic sitting on my table not moving at all and attempted to take a 2 second exposure. It was fine, so I turned it to take a picture of something else. This one came out blurry! I checked some things, and took another picture and it was fine. Ok... now I was confused so I experimented with turning it and here is where I think the problem lies. It takes a good 45-60 seconds (or longer) for the gimbal to stop moving. If you look at the screen carefully, you can see this. It very, very slowly drifts back to the centered position after the Mavic turns. Now it makes sense why the first shot came out ok. I had gotten the Mavic where I wanted it and then went into the settings in Go 4 to make some changes, so of course the Mavic was sitting there doing nothing for probably more than a minute.

Is this normal behavior? I haven't had a chance to take the Mavic up again at night and might not for a few days to test this theory, but I'm almost positive this is why my pictures came out bad. I certainly wasn't waiting a minute or longer after positioning the Mavic before taking my shot and I didn't notice the drifting on the screen at the time.

Basically I'm trying to find out if there's a setting I missed that could resolve this (I experimented with the gimbal settings but nothing seemed to change the behavior), if this is normal and I just have to get used to waiting a minute before snapping a photo (a bummer), or if I should be sending my Mavic in for repair.

Thanks everyone!

First picture that came out ok:
DJI_0003.jpg

I can actually see a similar issue on my 1 week old Mavic. If I put the Mavic on a table, and then lift it up, tilt it from side to side and put it down again, it takes around 7-10 seconds for it to go from tilted horizon to leveled horizon. This renders all my captures tilted.

Did you find a fix to your problem?
How fast "should" The gimbal level out?

Hello!

I'm new to the Mavic and this is my first post so first, hello everyone!

So living in Massachusetts I haven't had a lot of great weather for flying until recently so I'm just getting started with taking pictures and video now that I've learned to fly it. So far I have been pretty happy with the results and having a great time flying, but last night I had some trouble with twilight/night photos and I'm looking for advice.

Basically, except for the first picture I took, none of my pictures came out clear. Even getting to a 0.6 sec exposure they were blurry. Now I knew things weren't going to be perfect since this isn't the P4P, but I was surprised how bad they were. There was no noticeable wind. But the problem definitely looked like motion blur and not focusing problems (which I did have at first). And why did the first shot come out ok?

So today I experimented a bit. I had the Mavic sitting on my table not moving at all and attempted to take a 2 second exposure. It was fine, so I turned it to take a picture of something else. This one came out blurry! I checked some things, and took another picture and it was fine. Ok... now I was confused so I experimented with turning it and here is where I think the problem lies. It takes a good 45-60 seconds (or longer) for the gimbal to stop moving. If you look at the screen carefully, you can see this. It very, very slowly drifts back to the centered position after the Mavic turns. Now it makes sense why the first shot came out ok. I had gotten the Mavic where I wanted it and then went into the settings in Go 4 to make some changes, so of course the Mavic was sitting there doing nothing for probably more than a minute.

Is this normal behavior? I haven't had a chance to take the Mavic up again at night and might not for a few days to test this theory, but I'm almost positive this is why my pictures came out bad. I certainly wasn't waiting a minute or longer after positioning the Mavic before taking my shot and I didn't notice the drifting on the screen at the time.

Basically I'm trying to find out if there's a setting I missed that could resolve this (I experimented with the gimbal settings but nothing seemed to change the behavior), if this is normal and I just have to get used to waiting a minute before snapping a photo (a bummer), or if I should be sending my Mavic in for repair.

Thanks everyone!

First picture that came out ok:
View attachment 6992

I think you may need to turn off the Gimbal Pan (Yaw) Synchronous Follow. You may also need to adjust the gimbal pitch smoothness. Both of these settings are adjusting the movement of the gimbal in yaw and pitch to remove the sudden stops, they allow some small movement to smooth it out.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
One of the reasons i rolled back my FW to .400

I think you may need to turn off the Gimbal Pan (Yaw) Synchronous Follow. You may also need to adjust the gimbal pitch smoothness. Both of these settings are adjusting the movement of the gimbal in yaw and pitch to remove the sudden stops, they allow some small movement to smooth it out.

Love that photo

There is an option in the camera settings to lock gimbal during exposure.

Indeed synchronous follow off might help.

Synchronous follow should not take 45-60s to stop the panning.

If you bank left and right, does the image stay tilted (rotated) for a while before going back to leveled?

Seems like this guy has had a couple of exchanges due to tilted horizon, and it got better with his 2nd or 3rd exchange, but not perfect.
it starts at around 11:30.
He has more videos with examples.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000