DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimble going crazy with compass calibrate

Jezott

Reactions
new to mavic. minor crash and now when i try to calibrate compass gimble acts like a bobble-head on speed. tested flight in safe area and mavic turns left to right all the time. any ideas would be appreciated.

We're all in suspense. What was the issue?

not sure if it was how it supposed to work or not but i put the gimbal clamp on and calibrated that way...seemed to work ok. flight tested and it seems all is well.solved the drift issue i was having too.

not sure if it was how it supposed to work or not but i put the gimbal clamp on and calibrated that way...seemed to work ok. flight tested and it seems all is well.solved the drift issue i was having too.
what did u calibrate exactly compass or gimbal? and did you leave gimbal clamp on before u started drone or after?

what did u calibrate exactly compass or gimbal? and did you leave gimbal clamp on before u started drone or after?

i calibrated the compass. after i posted the first message it occured to me maybe i should have put the clamp on before i tried to calibrate. so i started over...with the drone power off i put the clamp on and started the calibration process again.

i calibrated the compass. after i posted the first message it occured to me maybe i should have put the clamp on before i tried to calibrate. so i started over...with the drone power off i put the clamp on and started the calibration process again.
ok that is not advisable to power the drone on with the gimbal clamp in place it will overload the gimbal motor, I suspect your gimbal may have come out from the bottom clips and was floating around (they are easy to relocate) i think maybe putting the clamp on and powering up may have in this case pushed it back into where it should be seated.

Generally do not power the drone up with the gimbal clamp on and do not fly with it on either

Reactions: Former Member
ok that is not advisable to power the drone on with the gimbal clamp in place it will overload the gimbal motor, I suspect your gimbal may have come out from the bottom clips and was floating around (they are easy to relocate) i think maybe putting the clamp on and powering up may have in this case pushed it back into where it should be seated.

Generally do not power the drone up with the gimbal clamp on and do not fly with it on either

the gimbal did come loose after the crash but i reattached it and flew several times after that. this morning i started to notice drift when hovering so i did some research and determined the IMU and compass probably needed to be recalibrated. when i tried to recalibrate compass gimbal started acting a bit odd...which brings us to the present moment. i certainly won't power up with gimbal clamp on anymore but it was the only solution i could come up with.

Sounds like you're on the right path, but - as mentioned above - you really don't want to turn on the Mavic with the gimbal clamp on. This will damage the motor. The odd gimbal behavior during calibration is just the gimbal trying to center itself. Let it flop around for the few seconds that it takes to calibrate the compass. No harm will come to it.

Sounds like you're on the right path, but - as mentioned above - you really don't want to turn on the Mavic with the gimbal clamp on. This will damage the motor. The odd gimbal behavior during calibration is just the gimbal trying to center itself. Let it flop around for the few seconds that it takes to calibrate the compass. No harm will come to it.

thank you for the replies. i apreciate all the support...a little more info, i tried for half-hour and multiple restarts and each time i started the calibration of the compass the gimbal start acting as described above during the entire calibration process at the end i would get an error message. i tried in several different places. i could cancel the calibration and it would stop.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS