DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimble Lock Reminder

jamiemink

Reactions
So, I have tied an old sunglasses retainer to the arm of my Mavic as a reminder that the gimbal lock is on before I power it up. I'm curious what other visual mechanisms the form is using so as not to forget to remove the gimbal lock.
a7fffd9b7daa54adcd8710e4f8db69b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think whatever "reminder" you use should be attached to the gimbal lock itself. It's no good if you just absent-mindedly remove the reminder without removing the gimbal.

I think whatever "reminder" you use should be attached to the gimbal lock itself. It's no good if you just absent-mindedly remove the reminder without removing the gimbal.

Very good point. I couldn't agree more. Anyone doing such? I'd love to see some ideas.

For me, its all part of my "Pre-Flight" checklist. I always use the checklist before flying. I don't fly until I "check-off" each item. "Remove Gimbal Clamp" is an item on my Mavic Pro checklist.....

Being that I work with airplanes, I'm with Anthony. I have a ton of those streamers. Some are the kind you purchase in a gift store as he shows above, others are re-purposed circuit breaker flags used when we lock a system out for whatever reason.

Reactions: jamiemink
This is what I was referring to above...I think this particular one came from one of the first 787s we had in the flight test fleet.

20170116_184654.jpg

Ok. So this is my first "mod" if I can call it that? I looked into buying the the tags and cables and whatnot. My reasons for doing it the way I did were:
1. Shipping costs and long wait times for delivery.
2. I also wanted something very light.
3. And I did not want to drill holes in any part of my Mavic.
So, I decided to resort to guerrilla tactics.
These were my step if they are not evident from the photos.
I cut part off part of a plastic tie on a garbage bag. Folded it over and put a pop rivet through the top. Then drilled out the remaining nail in the rivet then took a small piece of twine, stuck it through the rivet, tied a knot and sealed it with a lighter to keep it from unraveling. I sealed the other end of the twine without a knot. This and the next step were done to be a quick release when the flag inevitably gets snagged on something and rips off the gimbal lock. I simple taped the not-knotted end of the twine to the back of the gimbal lock. That's it. I know it's really low budget but my intent was to alert me to the gimbal lock.
03a99a659460c81fa67b5abd31afff16.jpg
b6319c8abd3f4e90fed4e5eb8e98b8f5.jpg
f0f752e0f6f5b4daaa7ddc936b204802.jpg

I made the mistake of powering it on with the gimbal lock in place. What kinds of issues might I have as a result?

I made the mistake of powering it on with the gimbal lock in place. What kinds of issues might I have as a result?
Don't worry about it, it will be absolutely fine. I've done it a few times and it will still work perfectly. Just try not to forget too much. But I guarantee you'll forget again haha

Awesome...thanks for the quick response. I'm new to this product to say the least.

A simple red ribbon super glued to the lock is about the easiest . I have the remove before flight on mine but I would not use the heavy metal keyring to attach with . It can bind when in a case and damage the lock or camera . Best to tie it on with some sewing thread or use something else lightweight that can fold away easily .

Reactions: kolect and Jaysjob
Hi,

Great to see all these ideas.

just thought I'd share my solution to this: paint it bright pink! I was careful to only paint the parts that don't touch the drone, so it doesn't mark it, and so for I've only had one tiny dust size spec fall off.

20170812_221350-01-social.jpg 20170812_221612-02-social.jpg 20170812_221708-03-social.jpg

Glad it's not just me. I actually bought one of those bubble dome / gimbal lock combos. I don't usually forget to take off the bubble as is right out there, unlike the tiny hidden gimbal clamp.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada