DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Giving video to local news

Kevin Cummings

Reactions
If I'm out flying and come across a newsworthy incident such as a traffic accident or fire and capture it on video. Can I give that footage to a local news station without violating the commercial rule as I am flying as a hobbyist?

If I'm out flying and come across a newsworthy incident such as a traffic accident or fire and capture it on video. Can I give that footage to a local news station without violating the commercial rule as I am flying as a hobbyist?

Your not selling the video so its no different then you taking the video on your iphone. The problem is idiots flying their drones close to accident scenes & interfering with emergency services.

...CAUTION! - grey area! - money changing hands is not the only, or even the most important, determining factor - if you give the media outlet content, who's to say that isn't to gain a better status with them so they might hire you later or for you to get a better reputation as a local content provider? - and the issue isn't what device took the footage, it's whether it was done from a UAS - and that is where the FAA will most likely have a slightly different opinion on determining whether the flight was recreational or commercial...use caution and for best results, always try your best to do your research on legalities BEFORE you fly! ;)

...and PS, please please please NEVER EVER EVER fly above or anywhere near an accident/fire/incident unless you are working closely with law enforcement!!! - it is pretty much TOTALLY FORBIDDEN and is the drone usage that pisses off LEOs the most and is the quickest way to get EVERYONE regulated out of flying just about anywhere besides your own backyard!!! (...and I don't own a backyard!) - THANK YOU!!!

Thanks Zander, it was a theoretical question and I pretty much figured the answer was as you laid out.
There is a new UAS commercial firm nearby that was started up by a former law director. I'm going to check in with them to find out the legalities of this question. The company they run is called DroneWerx.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

...that's great, will be most interested in their take on things as this is such a fluid area of law right now! - please keep us apprised, thanks!

...hi kevin! - wondering if you learned anything good from DroneWerx? - thanks!

Working with law enforcement not withstanding, giving the footage to a news group even if not for compensation may still require a certificate.

I believe this is why: The FAA considers your flying commercial even if not being compensated because it sees the video as a "betterment" of a business.

I just don't want anyone to have potential issues when they think they are doing something nice/useful etc.

Please update this if I am mistaken and good luck.

-SR

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007