DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Glyphs or Moverio BT-300s ?

Phrede

Reactions
I'm about to pull the trigger on some FPV goggles and am leaning heavily towards the Glyphs. Is this the way to go? The factors, for me... I wear glasses, always. Well, almost always :). I have zero FPV experience. I really like the idea on maintaining LOS, eliminating many "box in your face" goggles / spotters. YMMV

I currently run a Nvidia Shield K1 so HDMI output is no problem. BTW, I wish I never did the Nougat upgrade and am in the process of going back to Marshmallow. Nougat and DJI Go seems to have stability issues and Nougat just seems to not perform as well generally.

I see other uses for the Glyphs away from the Mavic as well in my living room. Also, maybe with my GoPros? The BT-300s not so much, I may be wrong.

I think the image may be better with the Glyphs technology? they have audio and are cheaper.

I may also be trying the Litchi software. I am getting the newest Samsung VR headset with my S8+ at the end of the month, but I'm concern with LOS there. Also, I prefer keeping my phone separate from my flight hardware.

Are the DJI Goggles ever going to happen? The announcement on the 23rd? or is it only the Spark?

Is there something similar other than these two that I'm missing?

Why shouldn't I do it.

Thoughts? Comments?

My opinions:

Glyph Pros
  • Probably better image quality
  • Good quality built-in sound (not useful for drone, but for watching movies etc)
  • Proven compatibility with HDMI output supporting lightbridge devices
  • Appears just slightly less expensive than BT-300
Glyph Cons
  • Bigger/Heavier
  • Must have something that outputs HDMI to use (another device, taking space, consuming power)
  • Blocks vision (can look "around" them easily, but still blocks a lot of your field of view)
  • No ability to use your own choice of headphones, or upgrade for better (or lighter/smaller) headphones later.

BT300 Pros
  • Lighter, smaller overall device
  • All in one device, includes video source (android), no need for a tablet
  • More efficient on power
  • See-through display can still be blacked out entirely if you want, or dimmed with shades. But allows full LOS view, and situational awareness
  • Ability to plug in external headphones of your choice for audio (watching movies, etc)
  • In theory same resolution and "virtual screen size" as the glyph
  • Proven to work with DJI Go 4 app out of the box
BT300 Cons

• Not retinal tech like glyph. Means image "quality" will likely be slightly lower
  • May be limited performance for future uses (android device). Though already proven to have more than enough performance for video playback, and DJI Go 4 app.
  • Slightly more-expensive
  • A bit "newer" so less "tried and tested" than the glyph
I'm personally leaning towards the BT300 myself, but it works well with my intended use, Glyph could be much better fit for others to be honest :)

I tried the "White" goggles and didn't like the total immersion. I bought the glyphs off ebay for 400 new in the sealed box and love them.

I like the ability to see the tablet and things around me by looking under them and have used them on a plane where they really shine, and sound great.

I wasn't aware of the BT300's but for the price these rocked and the N1 Shield makes it easy to use.

C.A.

Haha! Funny enough just was surfing the forum on the bt-300 after watching Thor on netflix(sideloaded). Better call Saul when i hang up here..
There is a good thread about both, i suggest you check this. In the end it's personal totally depending on how you use them. I was about to order glyph as well to compare but already know it will not serve my purpose because:
- need HDMI
- heavier
- might have slightly better picture (or not)
- requires a screen device that runs go4 that will bring me back to "before": the sun blocking my view on the screen, cannot make inputs.
- wireless via chromecast also no option cause it will create interference.
- with the above option likely will not run stable on isolated location.
- have to look around instead of through.
- carry around tablet+mount+ (bigger)glasses....
Enough reason.

So I order my BT300 las night from Amazon. But not being able to use the maps in the DJI app is big turn down for me. I really want them but dont have any experience with andriod and not sure how to load other apps.

Last edited:
Hav
I'm about to pull the trigger on some FPV goggles and am leaning heavily towards the Glyphs. Is this the way to go? The factors, for me... I wear glasses, always. Well, almost always :). I have zero FPV experience. I really like the idea on maintaining LOS, eliminating many "box in your face" goggles / spotters. YMMV

I currently run a Nvidia Shield K1 so HDMI output is no problem. BTW, I wish I never did the Nougat upgrade and am in the process of going back to Marshmallow. Nougat and DJI Go seems to have stability issues and Nougat just seems to not perform as well generally.

I see other uses for the Glyphs away from the Mavic as well in my living room. Also, maybe with my GoPros? The BT-300s not so much, I may be wrong.

I think the image may be better with the Glyphs technology? they have audio and are cheaper.

I may also be trying the Litchi software. I am getting the newest Samsung VR headset with my S8+ at the end of the month, but I'm concern with LOS there. Also, I prefer keeping my phone separate from my flight hardware.

Are the DJI Goggles ever going to happen? The announcement on the 23rd? or is it only the Spark?

Is there something similar other than these two that I'm missing?

Why shouldn't I do it.

Thoughts? Comments?
have a look at Cinemizers....work well with shield. Well I like em...its a personal choice in end.

My opinions:

Glyph Pros
  • Probably better image quality
  • Good quality built-in sound (not useful for drone, but for watching movies etc)
  • Proven compatibility with HDMI output supporting lightbridge devices
  • Appears just slightly less expensive than BT-300
Glyph Cons
  • Bigger/Heavier
  • Must have something that outputs HDMI to use (another device, taking space, consuming power)
  • Blocks vision (can look "around" them easily, but still blocks a lot of your field of view)
  • No ability to use your own choice of headphones, or upgrade for better (or lighter/smaller) headphones later.

BT300 Pros
  • Lighter, smaller overall device
  • All in one device, includes video source (android), no need for a tablet
  • More efficient on power
  • See-through display can still be blacked out entirely if you want, or dimmed with shades. But allows full LOS view, and situational awareness
  • Ability to plug in external headphones of your choice for audio (watching movies, etc)
  • In theory same resolution and "virtual screen size" as the glyph
  • Proven to work with DJI Go 4 app out of the box
BT300 Cons

• Not retinal tech like glyph. Means image "quality" will likely be slightly lower
  • May be limited performance for future uses (android device). Though already proven to have more than enough performance for video playback, and DJI Go 4 app.
  • Slightly more-expensive
  • A bit "newer" so less "tried and tested" than the glyph
I'm personally leaning towards the BT300 myself, but it works well with my intended use, Glyph could be much better fit for others to be honest :)
Not sure where you checked prices or what you consider "slightly". The Glyphs can be had for $450 while the best I've found on the FPV BT-300 is $800.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone ever seen the BT-300s used with glasses? They look like it could be a problem IDK.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone ever seen the BT-300s used with glasses? They look like it could be a problem IDK.

You have a couple of options on the BT-300 and glasses. You can use the included nose piece that allows for you to wear the glasses and the BT-300 at the same time. You also have the ability to add your own prescription lenses with the included mount or an option more professional Rochester option for prescription lenses. I personally use the BT-300. I am not a fan of Android on the DJI since iOS actively is more stable and updates are released first on that platform. BUT using the BT-300 I have stopped using my iPhone 7 Plus and the iPad mini 4. I cannot see myself EVER going back to a tablet or phone on my DJI. I tested the Glyph from a friend just yesterday and I can tell you it is not for me. I do not need a glass for movies and other tasks. I want FPV glasses specifically for my Mavic. It is very important for me to have a stable environment to fly the drone and a single device setup like the BT-300 has been solid for me. Using a K1 which still requires you to access it's controls on the tablet screen while wearing the Glyph and having the tablet hard to see because you are in the sun defeats the purpose. Also the added bulk of a tablet, LARGER mount was not ideal. Also wireless through chrome cast is not ideal since you are adding additional 2.4ghz interference which again my main priority is to have a stable SAFE drone flight.

The BT-300 is not perfect but it is so far the most ideal setup if you don't want the bulk and also don't want to try and still see a tablet in the sun to control certain functions where as the BT-300 is all in your view and the small controller is pretty easy to use once you use it for a while.

Reactions: stratos and MacIak
Let me add to this. I think the Glyph / K1 combo is a functional setup especially if you have a K1 already. But I also had an iPad mini 4 I was using with my Mavic which now I am not using since the BT-300 removes any need to look at another screen for functionality.

Also if you are looking for a glass to be used for other taks like movies etc the use of Glyph is also a nice setup, BUT so is the BT-300. I think the display quality of Glyph is not that much better than BT-300. Yes they are better but not enough for me to say oh wow my BT-300 sucks in comparison. Also I have a bluetooth keyboard / trackpad combo ($20) setup with my BT-300 that I use when I want to do any kind of extended setup (when not flying) or if you really want to use it for other purposes like browsing or watching movies etc. I loaded the Amazon App Store onto it and downloaded Netflix, Hulu, and other movie apps that I have used to watch movies and with my bluetooth headphones I was able to watch some movies and enjoy it's display. But personally I am not a huge movie / TV watcher with head mounted glasses so I know I will not be using it for that but it was very pleasant when I did use it.

Last edited:
Hav have a look at Cinemizers....work well with shield. Well I like em...its a personal choice in end.

I also have the Cinemizer. I can tell you the quality compared to the BT-300 or Glyph is not even close. It was great before I ever experienced the BT-300 or the Glyph. Yes personal preference is key on a lot of these glasses.

Reactions: deanbuxton
Not sure where you checked prices or what you consider "slightly". The Glyphs can be had for $450 while the best I've found on the FPV BT-300 is $800.

Sorry was basing off of MSRP straight from manufacturer. Not third party pricing (was comparing apples to apples, instead of trying to find best possible price for each).

But that does make sesne the Glyphs have been on the market longer, so more likely to have deals available, the BT300 is still pretty much limited by supply/demand right now as they are pretty new.

Well I use glasses and you can get an insert for getting you glasses done and fitted into the frame. Mines arrive on a couple of days. Will let you know how they feel.

Well I use glasses and you can get an insert for getting you glasses done and fitted into the frame.
You could also swap the nose pad with the included nose pad that's designed to be used with glasses.

Reactions: stratos
Sorry was basing off of MSRP straight from manufacturer. Not third party pricing (was comparing apples to apples, instead of trying to find best possible price for each).

But that does make sesne the Glyphs have been on the market longer, so more likely to have deals available, the BT300 is still pretty much limited by supply/demand right now as they are pretty new.
Those are prices from the MFG. not a third party. I decided to go with the Glyphs after lots of research. I think it's a better fit for me. I ordered directly from Avengant using a $50 discount code found on a YouTube review video. $449.00 total price including shipping. $499 MSRP.

Those are prices from the MFG. not a third party. I decided to go with the Glyphs after lots of research. I think it's a better fit for me. I ordered directly from Avengant using a $50 discount code found on a YouTube review video. $449.00 total price including shipping. $499 MSRP.

Hmm, you appear to be right. Maybe I'm just crazy lol... I could have sworn the Glyph was $599 and BT300 $799...

But I stand corrected :)

Either way I personally feel unless you happen to have a device with HDMI out to power the glyph (such as the shield) the BT300 being a complete device with android already is a more "elegant" solution. but that's totally just my personal preference.

Also the point raised by another poster earlier that you still have to control the glyph from the touchscreen (which is hard to see in the sun, and requires you to look away from the screen on the glyph, but on the BT300 you never have to look away from the screen overlay. That's handy.

Reactions: deanbuxton
Hmm, you appear to be right. Maybe I'm just crazy lol... I could have sworn the Glyph was $599 and BT300 $799...

But I stand corrected :)

Either way I personally feel unless you happen to have a device with HDMI out to power the glyph (such as the shield) the BT300 being a complete device with android already is a more "elegant" solution. but that's totally just my personal preference.

Also the point raised by another poster earlier that you still have to control the glyph from the touchscreen (which is hard to see in the sun, and requires you to look away from the screen on the glyph, but on the BT300 you never have to look away from the screen overlay. That's handy.

I was aware of those points in my making my decision, thanks for reminding me. I thought the superimposed concept of the BT-300s would be disconcerting and maybe even distracting. The either or method of the Glyphs is my believed preference.

I do have a K1 already. Sun glare at special times may indeed be a problem, but I'm not sure why the same method of using an external pointing device couldn't be applied. Considering that a K1 is about $200 and my mount was about $25, one could add those to the price of a Glyph and still be more than $100 under the price of the BT-300s. Not that price is everything. Some of the other features of the BT300s offset that.

The fact that the BT-300s have a dedicated Android front end was a con for me, and I'm an Android fan. HDMI is a more universal interface that seems to be more future proof and makes more sense for an interface device.

It certainly is a close call. I also looked at the Cinemizer, Vuzix I-ware and some more conventional goggles. I'm excited to get them and enter the world of FPV. I'm also interested in using head tracking to control the gimbal, which doesn't seem to have much written on it if possible on the Mavic at all. Not sure I'm ready for the risks of immersive mode.

Now I am looking for a cheap place to buy a holder for the CPU unit, a bit disappointed that it doesnt come with it.
I was thinking on just using a piece of wood with velcro and stick it right there. The 3D printed mounts look quite expensive to what they are and dont have a 3D printer.

Does anyone has the 3D file? Would like to check if someone in australia can print it for me.

Thanks fellas

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS