DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go App Radar Compass Problem

Mavicsailor

Reactions
Ive recently been having issues with the compass on the Radar in the Go App, or any other compass on the iPhone being affected by moving the sticks on the RC, when the RC is stationary. This occurs whether the RC is turned on or off. Occasionally the iPhone compass calibration routine shows up, and I calibrate it, but the problem still exists. Sometimes moving the sticks doesn't make a difference, sometimes it can change the compass very substantially. This is the case if the phone is tucked tightly into the RC, or mounted in the holder as far down as the wire will reach. No problem with the iPad because it's a distance away from the RC because of the mount holder.

We know the sticks use magnetic actuators to operate, so it makes sense that it would affect the iPhone compass that's used for orientation on the radar, but I just don't recall it having this much affect, or any real affect in the past. The "N" in the radar compass should point north to orient your world correctly as directed by the iPhone, then the Mavic compass should adjust the center triangle Icon to show the direction of your AC. I frequently use the radar for orientation and to bring the Mavic home, but the above problem makes this difficult.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've spent a fair amount of time attempting to troubleshoot the above problem, and want to share my findings with others just in case you encounter this problem.

What I found is the problem occurs often when launching the DJI Go App when the phone is already mounted to the RC. It appears the app takes its initial compass reading from the phone when first launched, and you pick "Enter Device". If the app is launched when already mounted at least 50% of the time the control sticks affect the orientation of the compass, and the compass starting point is off. However, if the DJI Go App is launched prior to mounting, and you pick "Enter Device", THEN mount the iPhone to the RC, there were no issues.

I could reproduce this problem and solution with any app that displays a compass regardless if the RC was on or off.

Last edited:
I've spent a fair amount of time attempting to troubleshoot the above problem, and want to share my findings with others just in case you encounter this problem.

What I found is the problem occurs often when launching the DJI Go App when the phone is already mounted to the RC. It appears the app takes its initial compass reading from the phone when first launched, and you pick "Enter Device". If the app is launched when already mounted at least 50% of the time the control sticks affect the orientation of the compass, and the compass starting point is off. However, if the DJI Go App is launched prior to mounting, and you pick "Enter Device", THEN mount the iPhone to the RC, there were no issues.

I could reproduce this problem and solution with any app that displays a compass regardless if the RC was on or off.
Excellent work Mavicsailor, I have seen this issue posted a few times here.
Regards,
-d.

I will try to pay more attention to this. I have not seen this issue. I mount the iPhone into the holder. I turn on the controller. I turn on the Mav. I open the App. I don't have to "Enter device", it does so automatically. I always check to be sure the AC orientation matches the radar triangle before taking off. My iPhone is always at least 0.5 inches from the RC.

Is this the issue you are talking about?
Mavic Radar Red Arrow Error and Fix?

It does seem that distance or orientation of the phone to the controller does make a difference.
Yep, same issue and the greater the distance the phone is away from the RC the better. The RC sticks work with magnetic actuators and in some cases they affect what the radar compass shows as north as seen in the video. The phone compass needs to be oriented correctly with your world before it can correctly show the correct orientation of the Mavic. You need to know where north is in your area to determine if the phone is correct. Id bet if the operator moved the sticks in the YouTube video you posted, the orientation of north on the radar, and the subsequent orientation of the Mavic would jump around. In the experiements I did this issue can be resolved either by moving the phone farther from the RC, or initializing the compass in the app prior to mounting it in the RC, and even then the orientation to north was not always perfect, but was far better than initializing the compass while mounted in the RC.

Last edited:
Yep, same issue and the greater the distance the phone is away from the RC the better. The RC sticks work with magnetic actuators and in some cases they affect what the radar compass shows as north as seen in the video. The phone compass needs to be oriented correctly with your world before it can correctly show the correct orientation of the Mavic. You need to know where north is in your area to determine if the phone is correct. Id bet if the operator moved the sticks in the YouTube video you posted, the orientation of north on the radar, and the subsequent orientation of the Mavic would jump around. In the experiements I did this issue can be resolved either by moving the phone farther from the RC, or initializing the compass in the app prior to mounting it in the RC, and even then the orientation to north was not always perfect, but was far better than initializing the compass while mounted in the RC.

The Video I linked was actually uploaded my myself a while back. I have posted it on here and the official DJI Mavic forum with very little response from anyone.
I don't know about other Mavic pilots but I use the Radar arrow frequently and when I had my P3 Pro I heavily relied on it. I think it is "one" of the most important features of the Mavic's telemetry.
I'm on my 3rd Mavic now because of faulty cameras with my previous 2 but this issue has been constant on all of them.
It would be good if you could also post your findings the the DJI Mavic forum so maybe we can get one of the Mods involved?
If you want to add to my thread here is the link Mavic Radar Red Arrow Error and Fix? or go ahead and start one of your own.

I'm assuming this is just an iPhone problem? Mine is iPhone 7 latest IOS.

For the time being my fix is to orientate the phone the other way up and plug it into the bottom USB socket, it's been faultless so far connected this way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929