DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles - Jury still out..........

Peregrine

Reactions
The goggles...........

So far, they are annoying me more than I am enjoying them. Took them out for their 1st proper test today. Prior to this they had only been out for a bit of a hover test in the garden. Put my Mavic into the air, and let it hover a while to record it's homepoint accurately. When I started to move off, the goggles' display wasn't updating. It had just froze at hover point. They then switched themselves off, and performed an auto reset, which meant watching the DJI logo, and the spinning cubes intro. Had to flip the goggles to spot my Mavic whilst all of this was going on.

Well, I was in a big, open space, that I had all to myself, so was happy of a retrieve should things go awry. I pressed on. Several times the goggles glitched out, but, luckily, didn't do a full reset, so I was picture-less for a second or two. This was within 900m of homepoint, in the clearest air. No obstructions, and excellent signal strength all round.

Yawing at full rate in normal GPS mode was just one giant jerk-fest. I really slowed things down after that. I was trying to record in 4k, which meant the 2.7 option being the best I could obtain. I was already aware of this so was fine with it. However, the screen never looked in focus, and each time I tapped the side touchpad, it dropped out of video mode and took a photograph!! Then I had to faff about to reinstate shooting video. Consequently, to focus I had to keep opening up a gap on the goggles to peer down my nose, and try to tap focus on my phone.

Even when the goggles were behaving themselves, I never felt fully aware of the Mavic's spatial situation. I came down lowish, to where I know there are telegraph cables. I could see the poles clearly, so was able to ascertain where the cables should be, but couldn't see them on my goggles screen. I requested my Mavic back, and hit RTH. It came straight home at it's current altitude, not bothering with the rise to 60m that I had asked for. Luckily, it was downhill all the way back, so no dramas. My Mavic has never, ever failed to execute a RTH before, in the manner it's been set.

And the final kick up the ar$e? When it performed it's mid-air reset, it defaulted back to shooting the video in 1080p, completely overriding the 2.7k I'd begged for. I'm pretty sure that some of the above is down to user error and unfamiliarity. But an awful lot of it is not. I'll give it one more outing before the weekend, then decide to ebay or keep.

Jury still out on that report? :confused: ...As I read it, the trial is finished, as far as I am concerned.

What is not funny at all is that, while flying on the latest FW, a few days ago, I also experienced several video freezes in my tab, something that never happened before (...how smooth and reliable the video down-link used to be was one of my biggest bragging points when commenting on the Mavic to anyone else...).

As it was happening, I couldn't tell if the actual recording was OK but, after checking it back home, it was, which means that only the video link was affected.

There were other factors that affected that sortie, which I had to drive about 45 minutes in and out for but, if I had to cancel the session only on account of that (...and I would have had..), I would have been severely pi**ed off.

For the sake of their own continued bussiness DjI must understand that these are leisure/production oriented products, not perpetual-testing, "let's see how it works today" devices. :mad:

MK

Reactions: Peregrine
That's odd. I haven't noticed these issues on my maiden voyage of the goggles. I was even playing with them, while lying in bed last night.

Reactions: Robbyg
Mine arrived yesterday morning and quickly had them charged and linked up with the Mavic . So far they have been amazing . I have and have had many different sets of goggles and headsets for FPV and these pack some serious awesomeness . The widescreen display without any screen door effect is great .

I think mine are great too ive been out twice with them now i got into a panic at one stage i was thinking i was going to fall out of the sky my brain thought i was really up there and today my legs were going weak i wasent sure where i was and what way i was facing but im sure i will get used to it :)

Reactions: Robbyg and rydfree
I think mine are great too ive been out twice with them now i got into a panic at one stage i was thinking i was going to fall out of the sky my brain thought i was really up there and today my legs were going weak i wasent sure where i was and what way i was facing but im sure i will get used to it :)

When flying FPV I have found it helps to have something touching you so you can keep your bearings . I normally lean against my truck tailgate when flying with goggles and that little feedback lets me know if I have turned one way too far so I can align myself back up with where the drone actually is at the time . If you're just standing in the open it is easy to get turned around .

Reactions: sacballa and rigor
When I ordered these I was hoping screen glare was thing of the past and figured I'd use these all the time....now I'm not so sure. They are great for flying around but usually when I'm flying, I'm filming and doing so in 4K. Being limited to 1080p is very disappointing. I never shot in 1080p since getting my Mavic and now I have to if I want to use the Goggles? I know there is a work around to getting the Mavic to shoot over 1080p using startup sequence and settings so hopefully a firmware update will address what I think is keeping this product from going from good to great. I was hoping to be blown away and only felt a slight breeze. As they are now they are a novelty item not a tool I can use for taking my videos to the next level as I hoped.

You dont have to film in 1080 im still filming in 4k it just that you cant play it back on the goggles
Same here. I only played with the goggles for a few minutes before putting them on the charger since they just showed up but that was one of the first things I checked since a lot of users have been saying you can't record in 4K but you can. Not sure why so many are saying this? I haven't tried playing any footage back but the setting to record in 4K is there.

Reactions: rigor
DJI has a all sales final policy afaik, so are you thinking of selling them if you don't like them?

Don't fit my face, air gap around bottom plus my eye glasses hit the hard plastic inside. No adjustment for in and out , guess I need to be 25 again. Progressive lens will have to change to single for close up viewing.
Might just sell them and give up on FPV.
Bummed but not giving up just yet.

DJI has a all sales final policy afaik, so are you thinking of selling them if you don't like them?
If you're asking me, selling is on the table. I didn't buy it directly from DJI so I could return it but figure IF I sell em there are folks here and elsewhere that might be waiting for them to be back in stock. They're still charging and I haven't given up on them just yet. I'd sell em for what I have into them and not try to take advantage of anyone IF I decide to.

I'm pretty sure using normal startup procedures your Mavic will only film in 1080, but I haven't messed with the goggles much as they arrived later in the day yesterday and by the time I got them charged I only had about 20 minutes before I had to leave for work, and today I only had a small window without rain and again got less than a battery of flight time. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am I apologize for the misinformation, I'm more going off the many YouTube videos and message board posts than actual 1st hand knowledge. I saw a couple posts about using startup procedure that would allow you to film higher than 1080 but it was a workaround not the normal startup. They also said any adjustments of the camera or screen after starting up the Mavic would switch back to 1080 and you'd have to shut down and perform the procedure again to get back to 2K or 4K. The fact that you can trick the Mavic and Goggles means this isn't a hardware issue and a firmware update could make it possible under normal circumstances. Again I'm more going off what others have said than actual personal knowledge. I hope to get some time this weekend to put the Goggles through some real testing. Another oversight on DJI's part, at least IMHO is the lack of a focus adjustment. I wear contacts and I'll have to either wear readers or remove my contacts when using the Goggles. Oh well maybe I'm getting too old (52) for toys.

Can't get screen to show sharp focus. Is there a way to sharpen the screen in addition to the IPD knob?

Can't get screen to show sharp focus. Is there a way to sharpen the screen in addition to the IPD knob?

No . If the screen is not clear then you probably need reading glasses . I use a pair of +1.75 and makes them perfectly clear . My 27 year old daughter has no issues without glasses .

Reactions: BillinAnchorage
I'm pretty sure using normal startup procedures your Mavic will only film in 1080, but I haven't messed with the goggles much as they arrived later in the day yesterday and by the time I got them charged I only had about 20 minutes before I had to leave for work, and today I only had a small window without rain and again got less than a battery of flight time. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am I apologize for the misinformation, I'm more going off the many YouTube videos and message board posts than actual 1st hand knowledge. I saw a couple posts about using startup procedure that would allow you to film higher than 1080 but it was a workaround not the normal startup. They also said any adjustments of the camera or screen after starting up the Mavic would switch back to 1080 and you'd have to shut down and perform the procedure again to get back to 2K or 4K. The fact that you can trick the Mavic and Goggles means this isn't a hardware issue and a firmware update could make it possible under normal circumstances. Again I'm more going off what others have said than actual personal knowledge. I hope to get some time this weekend to put the Goggles through some real testing. Another oversight on DJI's part, at least IMHO is the lack of a focus adjustment. I wear contacts and I'll have to either wear readers or remove my contacts when using the Goggles. Oh well maybe I'm getting too old (52) for toys.
This fellow does an excellent job of explaining the camera settings and limitations. At 2:40 he touches on it and at 4:13 explains it more in depth. I'm sure you'll have a better understanding as I did after watching his video. Be sure to give him a thumbs up! Thumbswayup

Reactions: MisterMavic
I was even playing with them, while lying in bed last night.

I am trying not to make a comment, I am trying very hard;):D
Never has a line from Cyberpower been this hard to resist :p

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterMavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member