DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles without phone/tablet.

Peregrine

Reactions
Hi all. Theoretically, the goggles are able to negate the need for a phone or tablet. Has anyone tried using just the goggles and controller? If so, would they like to share pros and cons? Also, would just using the goggles be a way of side-stepping the Go 4 update?

Hi all. Theoretically, the goggles are able to negate the need for a phone or tablet. Has anyone tried using just the goggles and controller? If so, would they like to share pros and cons? Also, would just using the goggles be a way of side-stepping the Go 4 update?

I've flown with controller and goggles without a phone/tablet. It work fine, but I don't like information overlay in the goggles. There's no map nor compass. It simply has home point, direction craft is pointing, pitch and roll indicator, and speed/distance in metric. I need the compass, maps, and detailed battery details. Oh yeah, it also doesn't have the tachometer/power meter which I need for my distance runs.

Reactions: Jaysjob
I flew mine yesterday with just the goggles as when i got to my area of flying i had forgot my phone i had left it on charge at home so thought i would give it a try i had no problems at all

I agree a map would be nice also a tach. But I would also like to not have to do math all the time. Imperial versus metric conversions is hard for us Americans.

I wish I could just flip over to Metric but it's hard

Reactions: Jaysjob and rigor
I might pluck up courage and try the no-phone combo. My phone battery gets eaten up real quick when flying the Mavic.

Flying without the phone/tablet is fine , I did a couple times . The goggles were designed for VLOS with a spotter so I'm sure that's why they don't have a lot of the telemetry features on screen .

Reactions: superdave5050
well with Litchi, your phone in your VR goggles with HD screen you have maps too, just set up a back c button to return to main screen and there you'll see all your warnings , maps and telemetry...oh and its virtually free as you already have a phone and the goggles are about $15, these DJ goggles are too big, bigger than the mavic to carry, they need to be small and compact

these DJ goggles are too big, bigger than the mavic to carry, they need to be small and compact

That size is the price you pay right now for that awesome pixel free display . My VR One Plus headset doesn't even come close to comparing in image quality .

The maps come from your phone/tablet and I don't believe the goggles interface with the phone or tablet at all. It communicates directly with the Mavic and possibly the RC only. So no firmware update is going to gain you a map view

Reactions: sacballa and FPVme
I flew mine yesterday with just the goggles as when i got to my area of flying i had forgot my phone i had left it on charge at home so thought i would give it a try i had no problems at all
But you would have been restricted to 30m high and 50m out.

I didnt have any restrictions at all i flew out at least a mile on that day and did four different flights as i have four batteries :)

Yes i forgot to say im still on 200 so i have no restrictions and i never connect to the internet

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60