DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to NYC next week...Want to fly

Canes76

Reactions
Heading to NYC next Tuesday for the opening of "Drones" at the The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. I will have some hours to explore...I have looked at Airmap, but has anyone flown legally in areas they would like to share? I want to do it legally and fly out of the Class B, etc. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!

Don't get your hopes up - its pretty much illegal in all of the five boroughs due to the high concentration of airports, heliports and other No Fly Zones (TRUMP tower, etc). Even if you are in what you consider to be a 'legal' flying area (referenced in apps such as HOVER & B4UFLY), don't be surprised if a cop or park ranger cuts your fun short real fast. Believe me, they do not care what your opinion is on whether its legal or not. Its really (sadly) not a good place to fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Blue
While you can fly in New York, (legally in some cases) I would not expect to fly anywhere without risking trouble. Certainly not in Manhattan, although people do it all the time.
On top of that, no one wants tourists coming here to fly.

I would focus on other stuff while in New York. The Intrepid is awesome, for example. I am going to the Drone exhibit next week.

As someone who fly all over the place. I suggest being more sneaky about it. If your going to fly. Make sure you go as high as you can as quick as you can and start moving. Or find a bench and sit down. The more you stand around with it making noise. brings more attention. I've flown a lot of place. Even in Manhattan. It's easy.

Reactions: M4RK
I don't have the link, but if you google it, there's some NYC website that lists a few parks where it's legal

As someone who fly all over the place. I suggest being more sneaky about it. If your going to fly. Make sure you go as high as you can as quick as you can and start moving. Or find a bench and sit down. The more you stand around with it making noise. brings more attention. I've flown a lot of place. Even in Manhattan. It's easy.
Check out this guy Jam he is all over seems like he sits on a beach too LOL

Fly it over the Hudson or East rivers. Launch from the shore and keep it over water to get nice shots of the skyline. Try from Battersea Park, you get good shots from the southern tip of Manhattan

Fly it over the Hudson or East rivers. Launch from the shore and keep it over water to get nice shots of the skyline. Try from Battersea Park, you get good shots from the southern tip of Manhattan
As someone who flies in questionable areas of nyc. You can take off any where. As long as you keep it high. No one will even hear or see it. And with a range of 4.3 miles. You can do alot sitting on a park bench.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu