DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to the USA this summer, do I need to register my Mavic?

Ivanovic82

Reactions
I checked the FAA's website and found this:

I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

And honestly, I don't understand... Model aircraft? Non-model aircraft? Anybody knows what they mean? I'm a Spain citizen going to the US in august.

If you're going to be flying for fun (and not commercially to make money), you just need to register here and attach your FAA registration number to your drone before flying.

Reactions: Soundtekk
yes you do but its very simple and only 5 USD. you can use a permanent marker and write your number on masking or painters tape and stick it inside your battery compartment

I was wrong when I posted the registration only applies to us citizens. There is an asterisk after the line in the FAA reg. The asterisk states foreign nationals must register upon arrival in the US. SORRY.

I was wrong when I posted the registration only applies to us citizens. There is an asterisk after the line in the FAA reg. The asterisk states foreign nationals must register upon arrival in the US. SORRY.

No worries! Thanks for trying to help!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom