DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a New Mavic Pro and I can't get my propellers to even spin...

hanjinsahn

Reactions
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum, and new to Drones altogether. Hope to learn a lot here! Sorry to jump right into asking questions, but I can't wait to get going with my new Mavic Pro. Also, pretty sure this topic has been discussed countless times so if anyone can send me a helpful link, that would be appreciated.

So far,
  • I got my DJI Go 4 app installed on my iphone 5se
  • I've completed the IN App registration with the DJI Go 4 that kicks off my warranty
  • Batteries on both the RC and Aircraft have been fully charged
  • The Mavic Pro is set to its default Beginner setting
  • Control Mode Switch is set to RC (not Wifi)
  • Ran through the Simulation, which only simulated hover and landing. Was hoping it would simulate actual flight.
  • Somewhere along the line I remember a message saying the Motors were unlocked
  • RC displays, 'Ready to Go'
  • I have not yet registered with the FAA (I don't this would matter)
  • Also, front left wing has Wifi password and QR code that I've done nothing with.
  • Regardless, Once outside of the simulation menu, I clicked on Enter Device
  • Image captured by the gimble appears on my iphone, including all the telemetry.
  • I've taken some short vids and stills already (which I've confirmed)
At this point, I figured if i gently nudge the left joystick up, the propellers would start to spin. But it doesn't. Wondering what I've missed. And the quick start guide is pretty bare bones when it comes to someone like me who needs step my step instructions. I.e. I have no idea what to do with that QR code. Thanks in advance!

Right... sorry to say but read the manual. Because if you haven't even figured out the proper way to take off then chances you will smash it into the nearest wall are pretty high and your second post ever will be "My Mavic crashed, what did I do wrong".

//rant over.

You have to start the motors manually. It's called a "CSC" which basically means Combination Stick Control. See page 54 of the Mavic User's Manual for more detailed info.

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
Indeed, to save you the agony of a smashed Mavic read the manual and watch the tutorial videos first.

You need to CSC, both sticks, down and in.

A couple things....
Be in an open area outside. Not inside!!!!!!
Set your Return to home point above the highest point. 30m is often not enough.
Don't fly it over water or out of sight until you have some decent flights under your belt.

On your first take off, let it hover, watch what it does, spin it around and land it.
Do this a few times until you understand it

Then while like 10 feet in the air, fly it around, back and forth, to you and away. Learn the sticks, specially while reversed so that left moves it right and vice versa. Use up a battery or two getting comfortable.

Thanks everyone for all your comments! I appreciate every single one! So I reread the quick start guide, and YES, "start the motors manually", was actually in there. It just didn't register in my head the first time I read it. Also, did the initial calibration, per some Youtube videos I found. Thank you, msinger, for the link to the full manual. I will definitely download! I actually got the Mavic to hover for a short time in the middle of my living room. Could stop doing :rolleyes:, haha! And landed it without incident. Time to install the propeller guards and go outside with it.

Slightly off topic - Is registering with the FAA (in California) still required? I thought I saw a local news segment stating the governor vetoed this bill. I know I ask a lot of dumb questions, but, your comments will help me get more educated. Thanks again!!

Reactions: newguy
Thanks everyone for all your comments! I appreciate every single one! So I reread the quick start guide, and YES, "start the motors manually", was actually in there. It just didn't register in my head the first time I read it. Also, did the initial calibration, per some Youtube videos I found. Thank you, msinger, for the link to the full manual. I will definitely download! I actually got the Mavic to hover for a short time in the middle of my living room. Could stop doing :rolleyes:, haha! And landed it without incident. Time to install the propeller guards and go outside with it.

Slightly off topic - Is registering with the FAA (in California) still required? I thought I saw a local news segment stating the governor vetoed this bill. I know I ask a lot of dumb questions, but, your comments will help me get more educated. Thanks again!!

Welcome to the forums. The FAA recently ruled that registration is no longer required. Are you in the Bay Area?

Please, please do not fly inside. You may have got away with it this time but I can assure you that your next post will be "I crashed my Mavic into the walls what went wrong".
Read up first, even use the flight simulator.
Then go outside into a nice big field with no one around, make sure you are in beginner mode in the app. Then practice taking off flying around on a short area and landing.
Too many just want to take off and fly as far and high as they can before learning the fundamentals.
If you know someone experienced with drones get them along to help you.

Congrats on getting a Mavic. It's a brilliant little drone.

But you didn't even know how to start the motors and having specifically been warned not to you made your first flight indoors? :confused: FFS! :D

Also those prop guards are mainly made for indoor flight. Did you not put them on when you flew indoors?

I don't mean to be harsh but I have to agree that unless you properly read the manual there's a high chance of your Mavic ending up in bits.

Reactions: hanjinsahn
Right... sorry to say but read the manual. Because if you haven't even figured out the proper way to take off then chances you will smash it into the nearest wall are pretty high and your second post ever will be "My Mavic crashed, what did DJI do wrong".

//rant over.
Fixed that for you.

Welcome to the forums. The FAA recently ruled that registration is no longer required. Are you in the Bay Area?
That's what I thought I heard. I'm in Los Angeles. I don't suppose you can provide a web link confirming this? I'd like to take this outside for a low altitude (10') practice run without having to deal with my 'difficult' neighbor... sigh. I intend to get this Mavic registered all the same, since I'd like to get FAA certified in the near future; Just don't think I have to feel obligated to do it tonight, just so I can practice fly it tomorrow. Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

Congrats on getting a Mavic. It's a brilliant little drone.

But you didn't even know how to start the motors and having specifically been warned not to you made your first flight indoors? :confused: FFS! :D

Also those prop guards are mainly made for indoor flight. Did you not put them on when you flew indoors?

I don't mean to be harsh but I have to agree that unless you properly read the manual there's a high chance of your Mavic ending up in bits.

No worries! I appreciate the harsh tones. Left side of my brain is telling me to take my time. The right side is telling me to, 'FLY THAT **** NOW!!', ...and it won :oops: I got lucky; Hoping it will stay that way. Just gotta encourage my left brain to exercise some initiative. Appreciate your comments. Thanks!

Reactions: Pablo
No worries! I appreciate the harsh tones. Left side of my brain is telling me to take my time. The right side is telling me to, 'FLY THAT **** NOW!!', ...and it won :oops: I got lucky; Hoping it will stay that way. Just gotta encourage my left brain to exercise some initiative. Appreciate your comments. Thanks!
Been there had the crash lol (very minor) take your time

What an informative thread and (cross fingers) a happy and understanding finish.

Its good to take your time... I have same feeling now after over a month (I've just opened flight modes), so you definately will not run out of WOW moments... so long as you take it carefull and a step at a time. The online videos are great... I spent two weeks just watching everything I could.

Enjoy... the Mavic is a keeper.

Reactions: Oconnb910
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929