DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got caught by sudden wind and snowfall. Mavic handled it like a boss!

masmole

Reactions
Woke up this morning with forecasts of light snow not due to start until at around 11am. Went out at 10am to see if I can squeeze in a flight while the kids ride their bikes around the park.

Halfway into my flight, the snow arrives early, accompanied by some strong winds.

The little Mavic handled it like a champ and remained stable in flight as well as hovering 200 feet in the air despite the swirling winds between the tall buildings nearby.

GPS strength remained solid (12+ satellites) despite the heavy clouds, but even though the Mavic was flying well in such conditions, the responsible thing to do was to bring it back in one piece. That and the snow was getting heavy so I didn't want the moisture to possibly get in the shell and mess up my new electronic flying toy.

Left the clear gimbal cover on for this flight so this may have impacted image quality a bit as you can see snow flakes melt onto the gimbal cover in the footage.

I take it you had the dome on the Mavic ?

Burrr!

The dome worked good. Thanks for posting!

"The little Mavic handled it like a champ and remained stable in flight as well as hovering 200 feet in the air despite the swirling winds between the tall buildings nearby."

Do you have the 107 certificate for flying near buildings like this?
Do you have insurance?
You do realize this is illegal don't you?
FAA can fine you big time for this. They are always perusing You Tube for videos Like yours.
Please take the time to review the rules so flying can be safe for everyone. I would also suggest removing the video as to not incriminate yourself otherwise you may get a knock on your door from the FAA!

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
"The little Mavic handled it like a champ and remained stable in flight as well as hovering 200 feet in the air despite the swirling winds between the tall buildings nearby."

Do you have insurance?
FAA can fine you big time for this. They are always perusing You Tube for videos Like yours.
Please take the time to review the rules so flying can be safe for everyone. I would also suggest removing the video as to not incriminate yourself otherwise you may get a knock on your door from the FAA!

I wonder if Casey Neistat has ever been hassled by the FAA, especially with the amount of views his videos get. I'm just speculating but I don't think he has a Part 107 certificate AND he makes money off of his videos.

Crazy how beastly this little bird is, right. Love it.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

I have to say I would have put that thing down likety-split... when the snow kicked in. On a side note.. don't worry about the DP that was a pretty harmless video there.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Wait to you guys see how icy props get in the winter:eek:
Potatoe starch for the cheapest:p
Water repellent for the novice:cool:
Be careful and do some homeworkThumbswayup

I wonder if Casey Neistat has ever been hassled by the FAA, especially with the amount of views his videos get. I'm just speculating but I don't think he has a Part 107 certificate AND he makes money off of his videos.
He's famous, nobody bothers him. You and I ? The FAA would show up at our doors if we did 1/10th the stuff Casey does.

Do you have insurance?

Let the FAA do their job !
They dont need a spokeman to speak up for them !
They have things called Computers and the Internet so dont insult them by commenting on their behalf.
They have bigger fish to fry !!!

Another post where inciting fear and bullying on people from coyping and pasting the same nonsense !!

Reactions: llamalu1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61