DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my mavic... how to exit full screen mode during flight? and other Questions not in the manual

Fazz

Reactions
Yo guys, got my mavic... in China, the manual is all in chinese, but i've downloaded the pdf manual and there's some questions that isn't covered there...

How do i exit full screen mode during flight? i pressed the take picture button and my cellphone (galaxy s7 edge with Android 6.0) suddenly got on full screen mode and i didn't knew what to do, except landing safety and press anything on screen to get out of full screen, so how do i get back to my normal screen navigation...

How do i move the camera left/right? i only know the wheel on my upper left can move it up/down and i can move it left/right when in house when not flying(was trying to replicate the full screen without flying)

Does the controller make sound? like charging or having a fan? i listened to that when indoors, but outdoors when I flew it i didn't listened or i didn't paid attention

the movie, does it record it to my cellphone or to the mavic? (because the pictures are stored in my cellphone)

Low battery at 30%: what does it means, should i get back or it still destroys the battery when it drops lower than that

I flew at 100 meters... and got terrified, is the mavic strong against wind? how do i measure how strong is the wind for the mavic ? (i know how strong is an hurricane, you know the drill)

thanks guys! i think i'll have even more questions when i come back tomorrow, i flew it today for the 1st real time(the 1st time was testing the mavic on dji store)

How do i exit full screen mode during flight?
Swipe up/down on the screen.

How do i move the camera left/right?
The camera cannot be moved left/right. You need to yaw (turn) the aircraft instead.

Does the controller make sound? like charging or having a fan?
Yes, there is a fan inside the remote controller. It's probably too hard to hear when outdoors.

the movie, does it record it to my cellphone or to the mavic? (because the pictures are stored in my cellphone)
The video is always stored on the memory card in the Mavic. You can also store a low quality version of the video on your mobile device by enabling the "Cache during video shooting" setting in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Cache-Video.jpg

Low battery at 30%: what does it means, should i get back or it still destroys the battery when it drops lower than that
It's just a way to alert yourself that the battery is getting low. If the battery reaches the critically low level (which has no specific percentage), it'll auto land at its current location. So, you should make sure you get back to the home point before the battery reaches that level. See more details here.

is the mavic strong against wind?
It does pretty well in the wind. However, if the wind is too strong, your Mavic will drift backward as you're flying into the wind.

Reactions: Mako79 and Fazz
Swipe up/down on the screen.

The camera cannot be moved left/right. You need to yaw (turn) the aircraft instead.

Yes, there is a fan inside the remote controller. It's probably too hard to hear when outdoors.

The video is always stored on the memory card in the Mavic. You can also store a low quality version of the video on your mobile device by enabling the "Cache during video shooting" setting in DJI GO.

View attachment 14861

It's just a way to alert yourself that the battery is getting low. If the battery reaches the critically low level (which has no specific percentage), it'll auto land at its current location. So, you should make sure you get back to the home point before the battery reaches that level. See more details here.

It does pretty well in the wind. However, if the wind is too strong, your Mavic will drift backward as you're flying into the wind.

Thanks, is there any way to know when to NOT fly mavic, i was wondering if i need to fly on the ocean, how do i know that past over there is safe? or it is an risk i will always take?

About the camera... it seems to be fragile and like about to break, it is like that always? and should i always use the thing that goes under the camera? i want to take the bubble only, it is ok that way?

so the controller fan, i should not pay attention to it?

is there any way to know when to NOT fly mavic, i was wondering if i need to fly on the ocean, how do i know that past over there is safe?
You're always taking a risk when flying over water. Check to make sure everything is in working order, the settings in DJI GO are set correctly, you're battery is fully clicked into the Mavic, etc. before taking off. Also, make sure you're not flying into a strong headwind on the way home so it doesn't run out of battery power and auto land in the water.

About the camera... it seems to be fragile and like about to break, it is like that always?
The camera is the most fragile part of the Mavic. Handle it with care. And make sure you always attach the gimbal lock and bubble when you're transporting your Mavic.

should i always use the thing that goes under the camera?
The gimbal lock? That must be removed before powering on your Mavic. While you can fly with the bubble attached, you won't get the best video/photos with it attached.

so the controller fan, i should not pay attention to it?
Right. It's job is to keep the remote controller cool.

To expand on what @msinger said about aiming the camera left/right:

The camera is fixed pointing in the direction of the aircraft's heading. Heading is the compass direction the front of the aircraft is pointing.

There is a different metric, course, that refers to the compass direction the aircraft is moving. Heading and course are often the same, but not always -- like when flying laterally (sideways).

There are times when you'd like to have the aircraft fly and stay on a particular course direction, while you freely look around with the camera in any direction. To do this with the Mavic you need to use a feature that locks the flight path regardless of the yaw orientation of the AC.

Take a look at the Course Lock feature -- this will allow you to set the AC pointing in a desired direction, lock that as the course, then start flying using the right stick to translate the AC forward/back, left/right, relative to the course line, all the while pointing the front (and the camera) anywhere you want 360°, without affecting the straight-line movement along the course direction.

CL in effect simulates a fully independent 3-axis gimbal.

You're always taking a risk when flying over water. Check to make sure everything is in working order, the settings in DJI GO are set correctly, you're battery is fully clicked into the Mavic, etc. before taking off. Also, make sure you're not flying into a strong headwind on the way home so it doesn't run out of battery power and auto land in the water.

The camera is the most fragile part of the Mavic. Handle it with care. And make sure you always attach the gimbal lock and bubble when you're transporting your Mavic.

The gimbal lock? That must be removed before powering on your Mavic. While you can fly with the bubble attached, you won't get the best video/photos with it attached.

Right. It's job is to keep the remote controller cool.

what i tried to say is.. it is always looks like it wants to breaks apart? it always moves like a Jelly
The Gimbal lock, (what is a gimbal? the camera/ or the thing that moves it?) can I only use the bubble in most of the cases while transporting? does it moves a lot?

Thanks for the remote control, i thought that thing was going to burn....

To expand on what @msinger said about aiming the camera left/right:

The camera is fixed pointing in the direction of the aircraft's heading. Heading is the compass direction the front of the aircraft is pointing.

There is a different metric, course, that refers to the compass direction the aircraft is moving. Heading and course are often the same, but not always -- like when flying laterally (sideways).

There are times when you'd like to have the aircraft fly and stay on a particular course direction, while you freely look around with the camera in any direction. To do this with the Mavic you need to use a feature that locks the flight path regardless of the yaw orientation of the AC.

Take a look at the Course Lock feature -- this will allow you to set the AC pointing in a desired direction, lock that as the course, then start flying using the right stick to translate the AC forward/back, left/right, relative to the course line, all the while pointing the front (and the camera) anywhere you want 360°, without affecting the straight-line movement along the course direction.

CL in effect simulates a fully independent 3-axis gimbal.

omg... that seems that an advanced setting that i haven't tested yet, like point and click into a flight path and just watch the camera?
i think i'll check that a bit later when i get into more advanced settings

I bought the mavic with 3 batteries, I tried to fly in a park in china, to learn and test controls, but it suddenly got so crowded that i moved away and had my battery at 35%, so i must find other places to test the aircraft more, so i'm looking into other places

What do you suggest about: watch video or watch the mavic? if i watch the video i can control it easily, but then im not aware of surroundings

what i tried to say is.. it is always looks like it wants to breaks apart? it always moves like a Jelly
Yes, the camera will bounce around a lot. You just don't want it bouncing around while the Mavic is powered down. That's why it's important to reattach the gimbal lock after powering the Mavic off.

can I only use the bubble in most of the cases while transporting?
Make sure you always attach the gimbal lock before transporting the Mavic. Otherwise, you might damage the gimbal.

What do you suggest about: watch video or watch the mavic? if i watch the video i can control it easily, but then im not aware of surroundings
At your stage of the game, you should be flying watching the aircraft, and ignoring the streaming video.

You need to learn how to fly it first. You gotta do this watching the Mavic to see how it behaves as you give it control inputs, how far it takes to brake at different speeds relative to the ground, etc.

Also very important is learning how to control it instinctually when pointed toward you and all the controls behave reversed compared to how the bird moves. This takes some practice.

Large, open, flat fields are a great place to practice and learn. And if you find a good place like this, don't be afraid to play around with some of the more "advanced" features like Course Lock -- you don't have to wait until your an expert pilot. Wide open spaces are your friend, and are very forgiving of mistakes.

No matter what, remember one thing: Let go of the sticks, and the Mavic will stop and hover in place. If you get overwhelmed and flustered, it's not heading where you "felt" it should from some stick input (probably because of relative orientation), just let go of the sticks.

Then, you can decide what to do next. If you're worked up a bit, just use RTH to bring it back.

At your stage of the game, you should be flying watching the aircraft, and ignoring the streaming video.

You need to learn how to fly it first. You gotta do this watching the Mavic to see how it behaves as you give it control inputs, how far it takes to brake at different speeds relative to the ground, etc.

Also very important is learning how to control it instinctually when pointed toward you and all the controls behave reversed compared to how the bird moves. This takes some practice.

Large, open, flat fields are a great place to practice and learn. And if you find a good place like this, don't be afraid to play around with some of the more "advanced" features like Course Lock -- you don't have to wait until your an expert pilot. Wide open spaces are your friend, and are very forgiving of mistakes.

No matter what, remember one thing: Let go of the sticks, and the Mavic will stop and hover in place. If you get overwhelmed and flustered, it's not heading where you "felt" it should from some stick input (probably because of relative orientation), just let go of the sticks.

Then, you can decide what to do next. If you're worked up a bit, just use RTH to bring it back.

that's the part that i'm working on, when im moving it in front of me im ok
but when im moving it, towards me, i get a bit slower, and also facing left side, and right side... it's like trying to learn 3 different control, but looking at the video it is much easier doing that, and also trying to remember the places where im I am

Try and picture yourself flying the drone from inside it looking out. When you get use to doing it this way it will help you with proper stick movements. Regardless of how the drone is facing.

that's the part that i'm working on, when im moving it in front of me im ok
but when im moving it, towards me, i get a bit slower, and also facing left side, and right side... it's like trying to learn 3 different control, but looking at the video it is much easier doing that, and also trying to remember the places where im I am
Yeah, looking at the video is MUCH easier for connecting orientation with what's going to happen when you move the stick -- that's why you need to utterly ignore that perpspective right now.

You need to be able to fly it well from Line of Sight. If something happens to the streaming video (and it does fail all the time -- just read this forum for a few days), you can't be crippled with poor LOS flying skills. You could very well lose your aircraft, or worse, crash it into someone and injure them.

So, what you're doing now is perfect. And yes, you'll be slower to react when it's coming at you at first, because you have to consciously THINK about what to do with the sticks -- and right now, a lot of the time what you do is the opposite of what you wanted to have happen.

That gets better -- way better. At some point flying around, you'll almost start to feel like you're in the bird, and the orientation stuff will just go away.

To get there, though, you've got to do a lot of just zooming around. Fly ovals. Figure eights. Fast flybys. Practice bringing it in for a landing right in front of you from 50-60 feet up and 100 feet away by descending an flying backwards toward you (so left/right orientation is natural). Practice this over and over until you can make a nice, controlled, diagonal path descending to land 5 feet away. Once you get a particular distance and altitude down, mix it up -- start higher, closer, farther, etc. Steep descent angles and shallow.

Then, flip it around and do it with the aircraft point at you, so that orientation is now reversed.

It turns out this angled-path, landing exercise is among the best training tasks, because it requires the coordination of both sticks to control the aircraft properly. While you'll rarely, if ever need to do this maneuver -- RTH covers this need -- you'll find you'll do it all the time if you've gotten skilled at it, because it's just really cool. Also, it makes for some great cinematography.

Try and picture yourself flying the drone from inside it looking out. When you get use to doing it this way it will help you with proper stick movements. Regardless of how the drone is facing.

isn't the same as watching the video?

Yeah, looking at the video is MUCH easier for connecting orientation with what's going to happen when you move the stick -- that's why you need to utterly ignore that perpspective right now.

You need to be able to fly it well from Line of Sight. If something happens to the streaming video (and it does fail all the time -- just read this forum for a few days), you can't be crippled with poor LOS flying skills. You could very well lose your aircraft, or worse, crash it into someone and injure them.

So, what you're doing now is perfect. And yes, you'll be slower to react when it's coming at you at first, because you have to consciously THINK about what to do with the sticks -- and right now, a lot of the time what you do is the opposite of what you wanted to have happen.

That gets better -- way better. At some point flying around, you'll almost start to feel like you're in the bird, and the orientation stuff will just go away.

To get there, though, you've got to do a lot of just zooming around. Fly ovals. Figure eights. Fast flybys. Practice bringing it in for a landing right in front of you from 50-60 feet up and 100 feet away by descending an flying backwards toward you (so left/right orientation is natural). Practice this over and over until you can make a nice, controlled, diagonal path descending to land 5 feet away. Once you get a particular distance and altitude down, mix it up -- start higher, closer, farther, etc. Steep descent angles and shallow.

Then, flip it around and do it with the aircraft point at you, so that orientation is now reversed.

It turns out this angled-path, landing exercise is among the best training tasks, because it requires the coordination of both sticks to control the aircraft properly. While you'll rarely, if ever need to do this maneuver -- RTH covers this need -- you'll find you'll do it all the time if you've gotten skilled at it, because it's just really cool. Also, it makes for some great cinematography.

yeah, i was thinking about improving my flying screen without thinking about the camera in case something happens(already happened, the thing went full screen mode and i panicked), and also i can watch the drone from a 3rd person point of view to avoid any problems

what is LOS? line of sight ? and flybys? those exercise you are saying seems that it cant be done in without tons of hours of practice, I was practicing figure 8 before, but with the toys, i think i should practice with reversed orientation for one day... and another day left side orientation... and another day right side orientation

doing the angled path doesn't auto turn on the turn off aircraft?

btw, i just turned on the simulator.... that thing consumes mavic battery and the control battery... and my cellphone battery...

I wasn't referring to watching video. I was saying watch the drone while picturing yourself flying from inside.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys