DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my Mavic repair back from DJI today.

0gMatt

Reactions
Upon first use after a month of waiting for my replacement... The gimbal alignment is screwed up. Even after calibration, it is not level. I also was getting warning messages that there were objects in front of me while I was flying in wide open space. This after paying $79 and using 1 of my DJI Refresh replacements for what I consider was a faulty gimbal motor in the first place that should have been warranty repaired. Pretty clear their replacement was a refurbished unit that they passed off on me as new. Even the box it came in was dented up really badly as opposed to what I sent them... Very disappointing. My experience with my Mavic so far... It is absolutely great, until you have a problem.

The first few months I owned my Mavic I thought it was the greatest drone ever. Now I'm starting to wish I had held out for whatever comes next... This thing is going to spend half of it's first year undergoing repairs, not to mention it is impossible to schedule any real travel to get good footage when you don't know if you're going to have a working Mavic that month or not.

Mavic, it's a great drone when it works. If you have to experience the disappointment of getting a "replacement" Mavic that is nothing more than someone else's reject with obvious faults that somehow passed their rigorous "testing", I feel your pain.

Hopefully manual gimbal adjustments and trying my best to ignore all the faulty warnings until the next time it needs to be replaced will allow me to at least get some footage with this thing in the meantime.

I really wish I was able to have a brand new one sent to me, and return this one upon receipt. No reason with Refresh that I shouldn't be able to. I'd be fine to have them charge my credit card and refund me when the first unit is received. Having to be without my brand new toy for another month would suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: kona
Did you check to see if the FOA sensors stickers were on there? That would cause error messages even when there is nothing in front of you. Also, make sure you arent in sport mode, that will turn off the sensors.

Can i ask what you originally sent it in for? Faulty gimbal? What error messages prompted you to send it in?

Sorry to hear about the problems with DJI Refresh. There must be some good stories to tell? I purchased DJI Refresh not knowing they don't honor it in Thailand. I dropped my controller from a height of 2 feet to the pavement. The camera gimbal wheel was jammed. It would not turn. SYNNEX does the service here in Thailand.I took it in for repair and three days later it was returned. The gimbal wheel works and the cost was $40.

Reactions: cjsecus
Sorry to hear about the problems with DJI Refresh. There must be some good stories to tell? I purchased DJI Refresh not knowing they don't honor it in Thailand. I dropped my controller from a height of 2 feet to the pavement. The camera gimbal wheel was jammed. It would not turn. SYNNEX does the service here in Thailand.I took it in for repair and three days later it was returned. The gimbal wheel works and the cost was $40.

I could be wrong, but I dont think Refresh covers the controller anyway, so you didnt lose anything by paying out of pocket.

Did you check to see if the FOA sensors stickers were on there? That would cause error messages even when there is nothing in front of you. Also, make sure you arent in sport mode, that will turn off the sensors.

Can i ask what you originally sent it in for? Faulty gimbal? What error messages prompted you to send it in?

I've checked and don't see any stickers. First thing I did when it landed was clean the sensors thinking they may be dirty. I'll have to fly again in the morning to see if it repeats the behavior. I can't remember if I had it in sport mode or not when it was failing to give the messages. That would certainly explain that.

I originally sent it back because I was getting the gimbal motor overloaded error.

One positive thing... My original Mavic used to get the memory card stuck in it something horrible and would never pop it out. I'd have to use tweezers to remove it. This replacement pops the card out no problem. :)

You forgot to mention that in addition to stealing $79 plus $99 out of your pocket for the refresh, they also stole at least $100 out of your pocket for the monthly cost of ownership, assuming you won't replace it in more than a year. They stole almost a third of the initial cost of the drone from you, for nothing. You should be upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Youser
You forgot to mention that in addition to stealing $79 plus $99 out of your pocket for the refresh, they also stole at least $100 out of your pocket for the monthly cost of ownership, assuming you won't replace it in more than a year. They stole almost a third of the initial cost of the drone from you, for nothing. You should be upset.

I am upset, hence my story. I've owned enough electronics to know that six sigma manufacturing standards went out the window long ago. All I can do now is fly it like I stole it and hope the next replacement is better.

Reactions: kona
So they didn't send you a "NEW" Mavic ??? If I bought the Refresh and then was sent a used pcs of crap they would be getting a ear full from me, I have heard that DJI cust service is the worst so hope i dont have to find out first hand.. sorry for your issues!

If youre planning travel with drone footage in mind you might consider getting a second backup drone/Mavic.

Its obviously not ideal but if you have to get the shot.....

Man...I have DJI Refresh and hope I never need to use it. My unit has been flawless (knock on wood), but anything can happen: like me crashing it through error.

I could be wrong, but I dont think Refresh covers the controller anyway, so you didnt lose anything by paying out of pocket.

DJI Refresh isn't available everywhere. I could try contacting DJI the next time but they will have be mail it to SIngapore or Hong Kong. Sounds simple until they mail it back and Thai customs confiscates it until I can produce an importers permit and RPA license with insurance. Best to check how (or if) DJI Refresh works where you live BEFORE you purchase it.

Got my MPP back today after being repaired by DJI following a crash into tree branches. Following crash it flew pretty well, but there was a slight rightward wander when coming to a stop from forward flight, which a novice or layperson would probably not even notice. Took a few days to get to DJI. I’m not sure what they diagnosed but they ended up replacing both left rotor arms. Took five days to get back to me. Flew it yesterday for a quick flight.. the problem appears fixed and otherwise it seems to fly like new. On return to me, it had stickies applied to forward cameras and on top of the gimbal, which I removed. I refreshed firmware and recalibrated. New NFZs were uploaded and DJI appears to be getting even more intrusive in their monitoring of flight data. I suspect that will continue. Still love being able to fly though.

That's why I have not updated anything on the AC or Controller, or batteries since I cracked the box over 16 months ago.
Only to activate the unit, was the only time it was allowed to "phone home"......

Reactions: genesimmons
That's why I have not updated anything on the AC or Controller, or batteries since I cracked the box over 16 months ago.
Only to activate the unit, was the only time it was allowed to "phone home"......
yes,,,, this,,,, i was very inexperienced and i updated and followed all warnings etc, then i decided to downgrade to modify some paremeters, it took me a long time so this bird will never see the internet again haha, i dont want to have to go thru the work again

Reactions: Flycaster
Wow if I didn’t know any better I would sware you stole this exact same story from me. I can only accept that DJI is a fraudulent company and that’s who they are and what they do to consumers. What a shame to the industry and hobby.

Fraudulent, dunno.
Trying to cover their ***es with Governments, yes, for sure.
As to the "service" aspect, they just got in over their heads with production demand, which in time fed into the "repair" demand.
It all cascaded from there......

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S