DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my new MP today, and have already introduced it to the wall...

cplmac

Reactions
So my Mavic arrived from Amazon today, yay! First flight outdoors was perfect, no problems at all just getting used to it. Second flight was indoors so I could try and make some camera adjustments. Wasn't even flying it around, just tried to put it up at hover and it started floating backwards and I couldn't stop it. Hit the wall soft but rode it down to the floor. Popped a blade off but it's not broke, lot of paint from the wall on all the blades and some on the top of the body. I don't think there is any actual physical damage besides the edges of the blades being slightly rougher than they were. Gimbal looked weird and out of position but it's working fine, all sensors seem to be fine. I probably lucked out but I'll know tomorrow when I take it OUTSIDE for a flight with GPS. Now I have to get skins, the scrapes on the back aren't coming off...probably need all new sets of rotors too. It does still fly with the current rotors but they aren't as good looking as they were when I took it out of the box five hours ago.

Live and learn.

Sorry that happened, but now you know how it can happen and hopefully wont be doing that again...

Right?

Reactions: flodi
I realise it might seem counter-intuitive but flying indoors is far more dangerous to your Mavic than flying outside. For a start you probably don't have GPS and the tendency to drift in ATTI Mode makes for a poor relationship between the Mavic and, say, your TV set.

Any accidents I've ever had have been indoors.

Colmac: very sorry to read this happening to you. Just a quick question to you - when you were flying the Mavic indoors on your second flight: did you 'perhaps' approach your MP from the front?

If so.....it's possible that the front sensors 'saw' you and caused the MP to drift back towards the wall?

It won't happen again, I won't fly indoors again unless its a very large building with high ceilings like a warehouse. That's exactly what happened Ziggy, no GPS flying ATTI and it just slow motion drifted into the wall. I'm really hoping I got off without any real repairs required. Now I have to figure out how to use the camera controls, how to get 4k video and how to play it on my TV.

BC I think I was approaching from the front, not sure if the OA was functional though because it was very low light. Could be it though. Worse thing about these drones is that you just can't snatch them out of the air when you see something like this happening in slow motion, at least not from the top.

Reactions: shuddee
Colmac: very sorry to read this happening to you. Just a quick question to you - when you were flying the Mavic indoors on your second flight: did you 'perhaps' approach your MP from the front?

If so.....it's possible that the front sensors 'saw' you and caused the MP to drift back towards the wall?
For this to happen you must enable the function to fly backwards in case the vision system detects something too close.
By default this is off.

Had this happen to me when I had the GoPro Karma (returned it and got Mavic). Knee jerk reaction when I couldn't shut it down and it was approaching expensive household items was to smack it down with my hand. Sliced my fingers open pretty bad and bruised the bones. Still hurts a number of months later. Careful inside.

It's unbelievable how many crashes happen indoors, both from new pilots and very experienced pilots.
DJI should just put a giant sticker on the box that says "DO NOT FLY INDOORS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE"
I admit, before I got a mavic, I had aspirations of flying it indoors some days if the weather was bad. Then I got on this forum and started reading about all the epic fails.

I'd be curious to know how many people have actually flown their mavics inside their house who HAVEN'T ever crashed it, if any. You're just asking for it. I wish I had a dime for every post I've read that said, "The only time I've ever crashed was indoors." Sorry for your crash cplmac. At least you have the luxury of saying you didn't know, being new here. And know that you're definitely not the first one to make that mistake. I bought a cheap $70 drone to fly indoors, when I'm Jonesing to fly and the weather is bad (and I crash it all the time).

...probably need all new sets of rotors too. It does still fly with the current rotors but they aren't as good looking as they were when I took it out of the box five hours ago.
DUMP THEM (you should have a spare set with the Mavic anyways), not worth the potential issues

Best to fly in Opti mode indoors.. and a cheap set of propeller guards helps prevent severe damage..
All in all, it happens.. Live and learn.
:)

First thing I did - it was raining so I couldn't resist. Had it in OPTI mode though, so it was solid as a rock. I've also done my share of crashes with the smaller quads. Highly recommend getting a cheaper quad with no GPS to learn your ATTI chops - will come in handy later most likely.

same thing happen to me, do not fly indoors because there's a lot of electronic devices that can interfere with the rc signal, the drone losses signal and tried to return home by flying to RTH altitude set, dji should made a setting option to choose from flying indoors or outdoors, for now there's no other way to disable gps unless you cover the mavic's butt with some shielding to disable it's gps

The VPS has Problems in low light conditions because there are not enough diffrent Contrasts. I saw this somewhere in the Manual.
And I think it's good to turn off the Obstacle avoidance indoors.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
So my Mavic arrived from Amazon today, yay! First flight outdoors was perfect, no problems at all just getting used to it. Second flight was indoors so I could try and make some camera adjustments. Wasn't even flying it around, just tried to put it up at hover and it started floating backwards and I couldn't stop it. Hit the wall soft but rode it down to the floor. Popped a blade off but it's not broke, lot of paint from the wall on all the blades and some on the top of the body. I don't think there is any actual physical damage besides the edges of the blades being slightly rougher than they were. Gimbal looked weird and out of position but it's working fine, all sensors seem to be fine. I probably lucked out but I'll know tomorrow when I take it OUTSIDE for a flight with GPS. Now I have to get skins, the scrapes on the back aren't coming off...probably need all new sets of rotors too. It does still fly with the current rotors but they aren't as good looking as they were when I took it out of the box five hours ago.

never fly indoors mate, like never. Sorry that it happend mate but I can think on 100 things that can you wrong of lying inside.

I learned my lesson with a cheap $50 Syma. I NEVER EVER fly indoors. Sorry it had to happen. I started reading this forum before I even got mine 3 days ago. So many things that I learned and glad I did before I fugged up.

Where in the settings did you go to set the Mavic to OPTI MODE before flying ?
I've never seen this setting.
I also would like to see where to set this mode.
From what I know there's only 2 user flight mode selectable by SW,
1.Beginners Mode
2. Multiple Flight Mode
Sport Mode is engaged via switch.

Yes that is correct. And you can also change the setting from "RC" to "WIFI" via the hard switch on the side of the mavic.

But there is no where you can choose which flight mode to put the mavic in.. i.e. OPTI, ATTI, or GPS. This is determined by the mavic only - it will choose what it thinks is best in a given circumstance and there is no way you can over-ride it (and it can switch modes whenever it feels like it, which is what makes it so unpredictable to fly indoors).

My point being, it's a little misleading to say that it's "best to fly in OPTI mode indoors", because this is something you have no control over.

*** There are TWO WAYS you can determine what the current DJI REFRESH total turnaround time is:
1) Ask someone in this forum
2) Fly indoors.

I recommend method #1.

Reactions: cplmac
I still have a scar on my arm from when I tried flying my first phantom inside for the first AND last time. Also, very likely the props are out of balance now which would cause excessive vibrations during flight, and possible you'll get shaky (jello effect) video, so I would replace those right away. Glad there was not too much damage!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada