DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got taco rc filters, what is the UV filter for?

Pituophis

Reactions
I got Taco rc filters that came with ND 4, 8, 16, 32 and a UV filter.
I've used the a couple of the ND filters and they are great, but what does the UV filter do?

UV filter is pretty much useless. There is already a piece of glass in front of the lens acting as UV filter.

It is more of a 'hey I have one more filter in my kit' marketing thing!

Good point. I guess I'll put the UV filter on when I'm not using the ND filters.

Edit: Or not

Last edited:
Actually putting it on will just add a layer of glass which will cause more flare without bringing any positive side effect. UV filters were use in the film days as certain film stock got a purple colour cast when hit by UV radiation. Modern digital cameras are not having these problems.

A lot of camera shops will still try to sell you UV filters as 'protection' for your lens without ever explaining you that in the best case it will not degrade your image but in many other cases it will. The profit markup on UV filters (Just a piece of clear glass as glass absorbs UV) is huge so it is an aftermarket selling trick!

I have been doing professional photography for many years and never use UV filters as I can see a degradation in the image.

Reactions: Pituophis
Last edited:
Still defeats the purpose.
It all depends on what you hope to gain from such a filter. If you want to protect the glass on the camera and you fear a normal UV filter will add lens flare, then it no doubt would serve that purpose very well.

It all depends on what you hope to gain from such a filter. If you want to protect the glass on the camera and you fear a normal UV filter will add lens flare, then it no doubt would serve that purpose very well.

My experience with UV filters for the sake of protection is bad. I had a very expensive front element of a lens once scratched by a broken and cheap UV filter. I am convinced nowadays that is better to protect a lends by a lenshood. This is especially true for a Mavic as it also would protect the gimbal on a possible impact.

There are hoods available online. They might need a bit of trimming around the edges to work perfectly but in the end they are a good way of protecting from sun, flare as well as physical damage.

My experience with UV filters for the sake of protection is bad.
If someone is in a crash that causes their camera glass to become damaged, they will likely have more to worry about than just the camera glass. For that reason, it doesn't really make sense to use a UV filter for protection. Experiences aside, adding a layer of protection is the only benefit a UV filter can provide.

If someone is in a crash that causes their camera glass to become damaged, they will likely have more to worry about than just the camera glass. For that reason, it doesn't really make sense to use a UV filter for protection. Experiences aside, adding a layer of protection is the only benefit a UV filter can provide.

Not necessarily the case. I have sold 3 camera lenses this past week to people who's only damage was a scratched lens. If they had been using a $10 UV filter from PP or Taco, they could have saved alot of money and time. The Mavic lens is not detachable from the camera body and circuit board. If you scratch your lens, you need to buy the whole body and board, nearly $100.00.

Reactions: Soundtekk
I have sold 3 camera lenses this past week to people who's only damage was a scratched lens.
They all crashed and only scratched the glass on the camera? Color me impressed, sir.

They all crashed and only scratched the glass on the camera? Color me impressed, sir.

2 landed on rocks, another scraped the lens while trying to land on an uneven surface. All landed with gimbal 90 down.

Lesson to be learned, before I land, usually 2-3 feet up in the air, I pitch my gimbal back to horizontal before I touch the ground, especially if landing on a rough or rocky surface. The lenses seem to scratch pretty easily and even a minor scratch could ruin your perfect picture forever. Mavs sometimes land straight down, but a gust of wind could upset that easily.

Ah, well, that is certainly a valid use case since the camera sits so close to the ground. I was thinking more of a crash where the Mavic fell out of the sky.

Reactions: Soundtekk
As others have said, UV filters aren't needed for modern digital cameras since they aren't as sensitive to UV as film. However, I do have a good quality UV filter with anti-reflection coatings on the end of my Nikon f/2.8 AFS VR 70-200mm telephoto lens to protect the big front lens from dust and fingerprints.

UV filter is pretty much useless. There is already a piece of glass in front of the lens acting as UV filter.

It is more of a 'hey I have one more filter in my kit' marketing thing!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A UV filter does one thing mate, it protects the original lens, so i would not say they are useless!
If i am not flying with my Polar Pro Vivid collection series, I am using my PolarPro UV lens! For my new Bird

Anyhow, so far i got the PolarPro Vivid collection filters and love them...
Anyone have any thoughts on the Taco RC, FREEWELL or Pgytech ND filters??

Here is my Video w/ just flying with the UV lens!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots