DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got the Mavic! Love it. And I "made" the smallest hardcase possible...

masmole

Reactions
i-gJDr6Xp-L.jpg

This little drone is simply awesome. It flies alot better than my old Phantom 3 and some of that is probably thanks to the better and smaller controller.

I have this really small Nanuk 910 hard case that is often used by DJI Osmo mobile users because it houses the dense foam box that the Osmo came with just about perfectly. I bought one a while back for my Osmo mobile and it's great.

i-L42dQXv-L.jpg

i-qxPfDbL-L.jpg

But could such a small hardcase possibly accomodate my new Mavic Pro and also all the extra batteries and accessories that came with the Flymore combo? The case did originally come with a custom pluck-to-fit foam block which I removed and wasn't using for the Osmo, so why not give it a try...

I'm glad I did not throw out this foam because everything fits!! It's a tight tetris squeeze in there and the case is so thin that I had to orient the batteries on their sides for it to fit. But I'm glad to report that this works and it might possibly be the smallest water-tight pelican-style hardcase you can get for the Mavic and its accessories, which is only appropriate considering the whole point of having a Mavic was to facilitate travelling small and light with a drone.

Mavic, controller, 3 batteries, charging hub, charger brick, car charger brick, powerbank adapter, several cables, extra props. It's all in there. The only thing I won't have room for is the PolarPro filter kit that is coming my way, but I figured I can probably take out the car charger to make room for it since I doubt I'll use the car charger much.

i-dk8Cm4m-L.jpg

i-8XskpvP-L.jpg

The case dimensions are 14.3" x 11.1" x 4.7" and for scale, it has a smaller footprint than a MacBook Pro 15" as shown below. It can easily be tossed inside a backpack with room to spare or inside a carry-on luggage with plenty of room to spare so that the Mavic doesn't have to be your only airline carry-on aside from making it your personal item in addition to a carry-on. Protection and versatility is what it is.

i-tjQtx66-L.jpg

Thank you for posting this. Although I received the other mavic case that is currently available, it is nice to see that you were able to create a case yourself. Well done.

How's the depth? I just ordered this exact case. I'm a little concerned it'll put pressure on the props.

is it big enough to take off from and use it as a flat take off surface?

How's the depth? I just ordered this exact case. I'm a little concerned it'll put pressure on the props.
No issues with the props. The bottom base foam and convoluted lid foam is of the same soft compressible variety as the pick-and-pluck foam in between and it easily gives way to closing the lid without placing any potentially damaging pressure to the Mavic even with the props left on.

is it big enough to take off from and use it as a flat take off surface?
Barely. It's a pretty small surface because it's a pretty small case. You can take off from it with the landing feet just barely at the edges of the lid's face, but it will be pretty impossible to land on it without becoming disastrous as it's nearly imposisble to nail a perfect landing even with some luck as the Mavic tends to bounce a little when landing and you'll have to stick it in an exact spot with no room for error.

Reactions: kykayak
Thanks for posting. I'll be ordering this case since it's really compact compare to the other cases I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thanks man. I think you and I are the only ones to think about this haha. I actually ordered the Nanuk 910 immediately after seeing your set up. Was looking for confirmation, and finally found it.

Happy flying!

I wanna thank the OP for sharing. I ordered the case from amazon and got it last night.
c89d9c89dea651f17daecd9dbf059ec1.jpg

Reactions: Rub
Great idea! Will try this.

How has it been at this size? Nanuk seems to be marketing the larger versions for the Mavick. Maybe just for safety sake. Would you get the bigger one looking back now?

Can you give us some details on how you trimmed the foam to fit? Thanks for any help! Will be ordering one of these tonight.

Very nice! I tucked mine into a pelican 1300...A lot more smaller but less foam protection. My P3 was carried in a similar layout for its size but the mavic seems more robust. The smaller case is very discreet. Either way- anything is better than being slung in a backpack!

Sent from my SM-P900 using MavicPilots mobile app

Very nice! I tucked mine into a pelican 1300...A lot more smaller but less foam protection. My P3 was carried in a similar layout for its size but the mavic seems more robust. The smaller case is very discreet. Either way- anything is better than being slung in a backpack!

Sent from my SM-P900 using MavicPilots mobile app

Can you share a photo?

view.php
[/URL][/IMG]
I just received my polarpro hardcase, its made for the Mavic, lifetime warranty and well made

Great idea! Will try this.

How has it been at this size? Nanuk seems to be marketing the larger versions for the Mavick. Maybe just for safety sake. Would you get the bigger one looking back now?

I did see the bigger version for the mavic first. Was about to pull the trigger but OP posted pictures and decided to go the smaller route instead.

Can you give us some details on how you trimmed the foam to fit? Thanks for any help! Will be ordering one of these tonight.

The foam comes perforated. Basically it's a bunch of cubes all bound together. All you need to do is pluck as many cubes out as needed to make your items fit nice and snug.

The first thing you'll wanna do is arrange all the gear you'll be storing, on top of the foam. This way you'll get an idea of how it'll look and where you need to start plucking. I used a razor to make it look a lot cleaner instead of just plucking.

Hope it helps.

I have the exact same setup. Great minds thing alike! I was able to squeeze three batteries in the case however!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout