DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got the Mavic! Love it. And I "made" the smallest hardcase possible...

For those of you that have used this case, how much foam did you leave on the bottom?

I wanna thank the OP for sharing. I ordered the case from amazon and got it last night.
c89d9c89dea651f17daecd9dbf059ec1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I went ahead and did this approach as well. Thanks for the great idea!

Lid pushes pressure down on the gear a bit more than I like, but I think it should be ok.
09cf1c45b407a497c6c13e8fe6ea7e48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Vicrimo
i-gJDr6Xp-L.jpg

This little drone is simply awesome. It flies alot better than my old Phantom 3 and some of that is probably thanks to the better and smaller controller.

I have this really small Nanuk 910 hard case that is often used by DJI Osmo mobile users because it houses the dense foam box that the Osmo came with just about perfectly. I bought one a while back for my Osmo mobile and it's great.

i-L42dQXv-L.jpg

i-qxPfDbL-L.jpg

But could such a small hardcase possibly accomodate my new Mavic Pro and also all the extra batteries and accessories that came with the Flymore combo? The case did originally come with a custom pluck-to-fit foam block which I removed and wasn't using for the Osmo, so why not give it a try...

I'm glad I did not throw out this foam because everything fits!! It's a tight tetris squeeze in there and the case is so thin that I had to orient the batteries on their sides for it to fit. But I'm glad to report that this works and it might possibly be the smallest water-tight pelican-style hardcase you can get for the Mavic and its accessories, which is only appropriate considering the whole point of having a Mavic was to facilitate travelling small and light with a drone.

Mavic, controller, 3 batteries, charging hub, charger brick, car charger brick, powerbank adapter, several cables, extra props. It's all in there. The only thing I won't have room for is the PolarPro filter kit that is coming my way, but I figured I can probably take out the car charger to make room for it since I doubt I'll use the car charger much.

i-dk8Cm4m-L.jpg

i-8XskpvP-L.jpg

The case dimensions are 14.3" x 11.1" x 4.7" and for scale, it has a smaller footprint than a MacBook Pro 15" as shown below. It can easily be tossed inside a backpack with room to spare or inside a carry-on luggage with plenty of room to spare so that the Mavic doesn't have to be your only airline carry-on aside from making it your personal item in addition to a carry-on. Protection and versatility is what it is.

i-tjQtx66-L.jpg
OMGoodness! I just did this very same thing before I saw your post. I have an OSMO Mobile and have the Nanuk 910 for it. So I went online to see if they had a Nanuk for the Mavic Pro. They do and it is called the Nanuk 920. It adds 2 inches on the length, width, and depth. The Nanuk 920 is $120, I paid $53 for the Nanuk 910. Why is the 920 twice the $ for 2 inches? So I started wondering if the Mavic Pro and accessories would fit. I did things a little differently though. I absolutely do not get along with plucking the foam. What I did was pluck the whole inside out of the pluck frame. Put the frame back into the Nanuk 910 and placed all my Mavic Pro stuff in. Here is what it looks like:

I plucked the whole center out
2.jpg

Put the frame in
3.jpg

The Mavic Pro with 1 battery inserted, the remote w/stick guard and LiPo bag with 3 batteries in it
4.jpg 5.jpg

Card holder, charger and plug, Mophie 6000mAh for remote & phone (if needed)
6.jpg 7.jpg

4 battery charging hub, extension feet w/bag, extra props. iPhone, Mophie, and remote cables
8.jpg 9.jpg

Put bag w/extension feet on top of charging hub, slid card holder between charger and Mophie10.jpg

Now that I know it will fit I am going to put my OSMO Mobile back in this black Nanuk 910 and buy the Nanuk 910 in the graphite color to match the Mavic Pro.
11.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at these when I was planning my case but they seemed a bit pricey! i ended up making this after sourcing the case from a local UK company.

310 x 240 x 130mm so sightly smaller than yours but taller, I can store the batteries upright. Best part is it cost less than £20 all in.

2017-04-19 11.43.22.jpg 2017-04-19 11.43.44.jpg

Nice and clean setup!
One question: If I look at my Mavic's gimball when the gimball clamp is installed and when putting it in the Fly more combo bag is that the gimball hangs free when the mavic is oriented front-down. Is this the case with other users as well?

In a setup as shown above, I would reverse the mavic unit so that the side with the gimball (front of the drone) faces the handle of the case. If done so, it will be facing upward when carried, which makes the gimball being properly fixated by the gimball clamp.

Reactions: hanshaw
When my clamp is on my gimbal is solid, no movement whatsoever...Are you putting it on properly? Two small tabs fix into two groves on the actual gimbal to prevent fore and aft movement.

@JoostGT3, here's a good video showing how the Mavic gimbal lock should be attached:

Reactions: JoostGT3
Nice and clean setup!
One question: If I look at my Mavic's gimball when the gimball clamp is installed and when putting it in the Fly more combo bag is that the gimball hangs free when the mavic is oriented front-down. Is this the case with other users as well?

In a setup as shown above, I would reverse the mavic unit so that the side with the gimball (front of the drone) faces the handle of the case. If done so, it will be facing upward when carried, which makes the gimball being properly fixated by the gimball clamp.

My gimbal doesn't hang loose when I put on my clamp. I second you watching the video it shows an easy way to put it on. I just want to add that not only is there two grooves that fit into the back of the camera/gimbal, but there are 2 grooves on the Mavic Pro. If you look on the part of the gimbal clip that meets the Mavic Pro's body, there are grooves that match up there too.

I appreciate the feedback guys, but that's not what I meant.
What I tried to say is that, with the gimball clamp in place, it still has a lot of room if you hold the drone nose-down. If you hold it nose-up, the gimball rests into the clamp. So, I would advise to put the mavic in the case facing with the front towards the handle of the case, not away from it.
I'll try to take some pics to illustrate my point when I get home tonight.

My gimbal does not move at all when the gimbal lock is attached.

Reactions: Soundtekk
So here two pictures to illustrate what I meant.
  1. Mavic hanging nose down, gimball clamp only supports the gimball in sideways direction, but can still jitter around.
  2. Mavic sitting nose up, gimball rests in clamp and is supported in horizontal and vertical direction. No stress on gimball.
My preference is to transport the mavic in nose up position whenever possible, to reduce stress on the gimball parts and to decrease risk of transportation damage.

IMG_20170420_201107.jpg

IMG_20170420_201122.jpg

That looks odd, I'm sure mine doesn't do that, so perhaps you haven't got the clamp in properly or it's misshapen

1. Mavic hanging nose down, gimball clamp only supports the gimball in sideways direction, but can still jitter around.
  2. Mavic sitting nose up, gimball rests in clamp and is supported in horizontal and vertical direction. No stress on gimball.
My preference is to transport the mavic in nose up position whenever possible, to reduce stress on the gimball parts and to decrease risk of transportation damage.

View attachment 11178

View attachment 11179

Can I suggest you go back and watch the video on how to install the clamp because your not using it correctly, that's why your camera is able to move around. Installed correctly the camera will not move as others have already told you.

Your photos are showing the gimbal lock is not correctly attached to the tab on the back of the gimbal.

Your photos are showing the gimbal lock is not correctly attached to the tab on the back of the gimbal.

View attachment 11178

View attachment 11179

As I said before, I second you watching the video it shows an easy way to put it on. Your gimbal lock is not on correctly. I added some pics here to illustrated:

As you can see here my gap is not nearly as long as yours: my gimbal lock is all the way to the back of the camera, all the way up to the screws.
IMG_7439.jpg IMG_7440.jpg
This gimbal lock piece here: IMG_7442.jpg
Slides into the grooves on the back of the camera here: IMG_7443.jpg
Can you see how I slid that little piece of plastic into the groove? IMG_7444.jpg IMG_7445.jpg
The end result is my gimbal lock is all the way to the back of the camera, all the way up to the screws: IMG_7441.jpg

Guys, thanks so much for being patient with me! I had watched the movie at my work without sound and not paying too close attention, as I thought I already knew all of it... turns out I was wrong :D
Installing the clamp now indeed locks it correctly into place and no jiggling around, not even in nose-down position... THANKS! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Guys, thanks so much for being patient with me! I had watched the movie at my work without sound and not paying too close attention, as I thought I already knew all of it... turns out I was wrong :D
Installing the clamp now indeed locks it correctly into place and no jiggling around, not even in nose-down position... THANKS! Thumbswayup
GREAT!!!!!!! We were posting at the same time. Glad you got it working for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty