DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Tracker for Mavic

hkdman

Reactions
Hey All - I have been flying Phantoms for quite a while - getting my Mavic delivered tomorrow. Thinking about buying a GPS Tracker - I have read good things about Trackimo. Anyway - has anyone installed a GPS tracker onto their Mavic? If so - would love to see pics on where you placed it, how well it works, etc.

I have the Trackimo. First just used strong velcro, then bought one of the 3d printed holders that sits on the back legs. Works fine, no problems so far.
Trackimo customer service is rubbish though, be warned.

Hey All - I have been flying Phantoms for quite a while - getting my Mavic delivered tomorrow. Thinking about buying a GPS Tracker - I have read good things about Trackimo. Anyway - has anyone installed a GPS tracker onto their Mavic? If so - would love to see pics on where you placed it, how well it works, etc.

I use the RF-V16, fixed with a velcro band, but I will soon get a holder for it. Works fine. I attached it in the front as the gps sensor is in the back on the Mavic.

Dropbox - Fichier 15.02.17 11 10 46.jpeg

I use Trackimo for my Mavic and like the others its attached to the front w/heavy duty velcro.

My only problem with trackimo is the app for iOS truly sucks all you get is a pin drop on its map you can't click on it for directions no way to port location info into Google maps or Apple Maps from the trackimo app. The only way I've been able to even find latitude and longitude is if you login to your trackimo account from a computer browser and then you have to write it down or text it to yourself as there's no way to cut and paste from the sites map. If I'm missing something here someone else that's using trackimo knows of an easier way to get latitude longitude from the mobile trackimo app please let me know! Now on a positive note the battery life of the trackimo is excellent.

d60a4837435f9a0f0fac27c4b43715c2.jpg

b15a7acff186a0d4a070c79361aef40e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Sparky1963
My only problem with trackimo is the app for iOS truly sucks all you get is a pin drop on its map you can't click on it for directions no way to port location info into Google maps or Apple Maps from the trackimo app. The only way I've been able to even find latitude and longitude is if you login to your trackimo account from a computer browser and then you have to write it down or text it to yourself as there's no way to cut and paste from the sites map. If I'm missing something here someone else that's using trackimo knows of an easier way to get latitude longitude from the mobile trackimo app please let me know! Now on a positive note the battery life of the trackimo is excellent.

This is what I have. I agree battery life is good. While testing my Trackimo (before putting it on the Mavic) i found myself with the app, laptop browser and phone browser all showing a different location for the tracker (all of which were incorrect!). I emailed and messaged Trackimo and still no response. They appear to be hopeless.

Same for me with the trackimo app it often shows a totally incorrect position (like not even close) for the tracker i've noticed if I click the map arrow to update device location then close the app completely and go back into it then it pretty much shows the correct position. The pin drop on its map shows me battery level date and time along with an estimated address. This estimated address is really going to do me a lot of good when I'm nowhere near a residential neighborhood and need to locate my Mavic Pro. Yes trackimo has some serious issues but short of strapping an iPhone to the Mavic lol (btw find my iPhone works great all of the time) really don't have another viable solution right now for a GPS based tracker. Unless someone knows of another product that's out now that they can share ....?

Is that detachable? Or did you just lose the ability to fold in the legs?

Snaps on and off really easy great design because once it is on I'm not worried about it going anywhere it's very secure.

I've found that the best way to use the Trackimo is when inside the app you locate the phone that is running the app and it will show the phone's location almost exactly. I then navigate to the pin drop. Not perfect, but it works. I do use the remote beep also to help find the device. I'll see if things go downhill.

I have 2 trackimos that I use on my jet skis invade they are stolen. When I fly I use one of them in case my mavic develops a mind of its own. I am very impressed with the locating abilities of the TRACKIMO. For the price and small size you can't beat it. I read earlier in this thread a complaint about not being able to direct you to the unit from your location, when getting directions using a gps routing app or software, one of the points must be fixed. And since trackimo is a live tracking unit, both your position and the tracker are variables.

UPDATE:
My problems with the trackimo have all been resolved it was a matter of finding the right apps for my phone. Thought I would share this information for anyone looking at picking up a trackimo. First off there is still absolutely no way to obtain latitude and longitude from the trackimo app itself (let's hope that ability is added in the future update). To get around that I log into my trackimo account using dolphin browser for iOS I can easily update trackimo's location from there and also copy latitude and longitude. Then I paste latitude longitude into an app called Find My Drone i've done two test landing my Mavic in a field quite a ways from the house and every time I was taken within 0.5m of the exact spot my quad was at. Looks like I'll be clipping it on the Mavic Pro's back legs every time it takes off now!

Find My Drone by Communis Tech
Find My Drone on the App Store

I saw an add for a new GPS tracker coming out called "Ping" - looks pretty good. Size wise, it is a little bigger than a quarter. First year monitoring service is included. Price wise it seems reasonable ($100). They come out in a couple of months.

Have any of you, who use a tracker, ever had to find your drone with the tracker? Did it work? Just curious.

I have the RF-16. I have it Velcro'd to the battery. Anywhere else causes Compass errors but I think even on the battery causes GPS errors. Putting it on the legs makes a lot of sense! A holder would be ideal but even Velcro on one leg could work. Would it unbalance the Mavic?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser