DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Tracker for Mavic

Have any of you, who use a tracker, ever had to find your drone with the tracker? Did it work? Just curious.
Why any of you who use tracker, not to use DJI Go4 app Flight Log which have all the GPS location recorded in your phone/tablet?

Last edited:
I have a Trackimo 2g which I use on my P3S and my car. The first year contract is soon ending and they want £155 to upgrade to the 3g for the next year.
I now also have the mavic
I was considering attaching a apple Iwatch to the mavic and using ' find my iphone ' app to track the drone.
S1 Apple watch can track in wifi only
S2 Apple watch uses gps

Last edited:
When I put my first quad (p3s) into the air for the first time, some time ago I was way more scared than I could possibly imagine I would. I didn't want to crash or loose the bird like the guys on the forums (I've noticed that those who **** up make a forum post, not those who don't. Explaining the amount of war stories here)

I figured to use GPS tracker and stick it on the phantom before flight. I love in iceland and not all things are available that close to the north pole. [emoji16] one of those unavailable things are those "mmini " gps trackers. And if I ordered I could have lost my drone while waiting for arrival of the tracker. So I had to think myself trough the problem and suddenly remembered that I bought a GPS watch for my son (kids tracker) before traveling to Spain few summers ago. That might work. So I took all parts of it that were not needed. Used double tape to mount it under the phantom and voila... It saved my *** few days later in a quite scary fly away.

Now it's on my mavic.

It has alot of functions like Geo fence and stuff but what I find useful about it is that I can :

-locate it
-Call it (if someone have it after finding it)
-My cell being called by one button press.
-make it play loud annoying sounds to find it in that places the GPS told you it was (sometimes that area is large enough to have to use sounds when finding)
-Alerts me by sms when : batt low, turned off, or removed from my drone.
(Provides gps location in these sms)

It has apps for both android and ios and has all settings changed from the app.
This works for me and only costs few dollars and have more function than many $100 trackers.

Here it is mounted on my mavics arse!

f3ed1d53d77d14d2d9238fdebd297b9e.jpg
21d0628fd50d35e568c52b7c2f7e38c7.jpg
8be895a3ac07b329415a6cfb8a578446.jpg

Last edited:
I bought an RF-V16 GPS-tracker, which by the way works excellently. Haven't tried it on a flight yet. What is the best location for the tracker with the least impact on the drones GPS? I understand there're at least following options for the Mavic:
1) On top of the nose, with Velcro
2) On the battery, with Velcro
3) On the back (arse), with Velcro
4) On the back prop-arms, using a holder

I like the last option most, but where can you get such a holder, I haven't a 3D-printer?
And of the other options, is Velcro really safe? The tracker weighs 27 grams?

Following up on this thread. Is it a good idea to wait for that new tracker people mentioned? I got my mavic yesterday and don't want to lose it. For all the cons I've read about the trackimo, the $140 price tag doesn't seem worth it. Is there a universally recommended tracker to buy?

I paid about $35 for the RF-V16 tracker, made in China. I have tested it a few times, works like a charm and it's easy to manage with the iPhone app. I have attached it with Velcro on the nose of the Mavic. I set the tracker on purpose to a once per 30 s location transmission, just to get a maximum data interference for testing purposes.
The first time the Mavic alerted of magnetic interference and required a compass calibration, which I performed before the flight. Flight went well, no problems.
Later when I removed the tracker and started the Mavic, it required a new compass calibration, so it seems like the magnetic interference detection works perfectly on the Mavic.

Reactions: al-bailey
My only problem with trackimo is the app for iOS truly sucks all you get is a pin drop on its map you can't click on it for directions no way to port location info into Google maps or Apple Maps from the trackimo app. The only way I've been able to even find latitude and longitude is if you login to your trackimo account from a computer browser and then you have to write it down or text it to yourself as there's no way to cut and paste from the sites map. If I'm missing something here someone else that's using trackimo knows of an easier way to get latitude longitude from the mobile trackimo app please let me know! Now on a positive note the battery life of the trackimo is excellent.

d60a4837435f9a0f0fac27c4b43715c2.jpg

b15a7acff186a0d4a070c79361aef40e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Can I ask where you got that holder? Much prefer it to the one that hooks into the rear landing gear, as that stops me using my legs.

Mike

2G in Canada is going to be dead by the end of 2017 from what I heard, and I am sure the US would be sooner. there may be some limited support for it until all devices are off that network. Its old technology. This is why there is a million 2g trackers for sale, they are trying to get rid of them before they literally will not work anymore.

Personally I think the Cellular uplink locating method is not the best, as you may not have that coverage wherever it lands/crashes. A separate RF link for the tracking device is the best and will work when you are in the middle of no where, since that is the only place we can still fly in Canada... soon not even there :-(

Hey All - I have been flying Phantoms for quite a while - getting my Mavic delivered tomorrow. Thinking about buying a GPS Tracker - I have read good things about Trackimo. Anyway - has anyone installed a GPS tracker onto their Mavic? If so - would love to see pics on where you placed it, how well it works, etc.

DJI Mavic Pro just came out with Find My Drone in the DJI Go App! Pretty Awesome!

When I put my first quad (p3s) into the air for the first time, some time ago I was way more scared than I could possibly imagine I would. I didn't want to crash or loose the bird like the guys on the forums (I've noticed that those who **** up make a forum post, not those who don't. Explaining the amount of war stories here)

I figured to use GPS tracker and stick it on the phantom before flight. I love in iceland and not all things are available that close to the north pole. [emoji16] one of those unavailable things are those "mmini " gps trackers. And if I ordered I could have lost my drone while waiting for arrival of the tracker. So I had to think myself trough the problem and suddenly remembered that I bought a GPS watch for my son (kids tracker) before traveling to Spain few summers ago. That might work. So I took all parts of it that were not needed. Used double tape to mount it under the phantom and voila... It saved my *** few days later in a quite scary fly away.

Now it's on my mavic.

It has alot of functions like Geo fence and stuff but what I find useful about it is that I can :

-locate it
-Call it (if someone have it after finding it)
-My cell being called by one button press.
-make it play loud annoying sounds to find it in that places the GPS told you it was (sometimes that area is large enough to have to use sounds when finding)
-Alerts me by sms when : batt low, turned off, or removed from my drone.
(Provides gps location in these sms)

It has apps for both android and ios and has all settings changed from the app.
This works for me and only costs few dollars and have more function than many $100 trackers.

Here it is mounted on my mavics arse!

f3ed1d53d77d14d2d9238fdebd297b9e.jpg
21d0628fd50d35e568c52b7c2f7e38c7.jpg
8be895a3ac07b329415a6cfb8a578446.jpg

Same for me with the trackimo app it often shows a totally incorrect position (like not even close) for the tracker i've noticed if I click the map arrow to update device location then close the app completely and go back into it then it pretty much shows the correct position. The pin drop on its map shows me battery level date and time along with an estimated address. This estimated address is really going to do me a lot of good when I'm nowhere near a residential neighborhood and need to locate my Mavic Pro. Yes trackimo has some serious issues but short of strapping an iPhone to the Mavic lol (btw find my iPhone works great all of the time) really don't have another viable solution right now for a GPS based tracker. Unless someone knows of another product that's out now that they can share ....?

Oh man, I've got an iPhone 5 I'm not using. I'm going to chip it again and see if it will work! Cheaper than Trackimo, more useful too! I even have a waterproof bag to hold it in! Thanks for the idea!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929