DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Tracking device

Michael Fox, you can find a list of commonly used trackers here. The challenge will be finding a location to attach the tracker.

You would think with DJI being the Industry leader they would have a small compartment incorporated into it? Maybe in the DJI Mavic Pro 2? Even if it was an option I would have bought it.

You would think with DJI being the Industry leader they would have a small compartment incorporated into it? Maybe in the DJI Mavic Pro 2? Even if it was an option I would have bought it.
Don't think the "industry leader' is going to admit that their sUAV's stray and would therefore need a tracker to find them.

i purchased a Trackimo tracking device for my Mavic Pro.

Best 3G GPS Tracker Devices - Trackimo

One note, they make a 2G and 3G version of the device. $139/$179. I reside in Kentucky and most places only carry the 2G version of the device. Our dominate 2G carrier here is AT&T. The carrier will discontinue 2G cell service in January 2017. While the 2G device my still work with T-mobile coverage I will tell you that after checking I found the device may no longer work for me as I have very limited T-mobile 2G service in my area. Here's the link to check the coverage in your area:

Coverage Maps

Since I dont want to be stuck with a device that no longer works for me in a couple of months, I'm in the process of exchangin the 2G device for the slightly more expensive 3G version. I would suggest that anyone looking to purchase one look to the 3G version as T-mobile will discontinue service in the near future as well.

the Trackimo device is a great way to locate your Mavic should it go astray! I plan to mount the device on the back of the Mavic Pro using the included industrial velcro. Hope this helps!

Can't you track it via the remote?

Well yes and no.

Heres what I mean. The DJI Go app will give one a flight path on an included map display when flying. That is as long as GPS "lock" is maintained throughout the flight. The map data is only available if one either:

A. Has a device that they are using with the controller that can send and receive data packets through the cellular network that they are connected to. That way the map can be updated with the location information when one reaches the site they intend to fly at / from. No Cell coverage = NO MAP DATA

B. One chooses to open the Google Maps application from the device they are planning to use with the Controller / Mavic Pro and then finds the location that they will be flying at / from and displays it within the Google Maps app. Once one does this for the specific area then intend to fly at / from that map data will be "cached" or stored on the device.

Situations exist in which one loses GPS signal during a flight. At that point the flight path information can become worthless.

Also even if the map data is perfectly accurate once one zooms in the map to obtain finer granularity the map only zooms so far in and one is left with map data that indicates the drone (Mavic Pro) should be within a certain radius on the map. That radius is not a micro dot pinpoint and more like a city block or more. So one would be on an easter egg hunt potentially through brush , tree's , high grass, and other obstructions to try and find thier craft.

With a Tracker installed that has Cellular data enabled within the tracker itself then one has finer granularity and stands a much better chance of finding the exact spot where the Mavic Pro is located in less time.

Its a secondary backup plan that can alleviate part of the misery of searching for hours for ones prized drone.

There is also another solution that does not rely on Cellular data to track the drone. Marco Polo which uses FM wireless transmission in a certain band that pings the Marco Polo unit that is attached to the drone.

This option is a better one if one is going to be in an area flying that has no or limited cellular data coverage as those areas would not allow a tracker like the Trackimo to function.

If you find this post informational or helpful please click the LIKE button :)

You would think with DJI being the Industry leader they would have a small compartment incorporated into it?
Unfortunately, not all trackers are the same size.

Can anyone guarantee 100% that a tracker will not interfere with any of the onboard systems.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've never heard of a tracker interfering with onboard systems.

Can anyone guarantee 100% that a tracker will not interfere with any of the onboard systems.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

In the Phantom forums there has never been a report that a tracker interfered with anyone's drone. Now if you decided to mount the tracker on the bottom in a way that blocks the VPS system well then that will interfere for sure. Or mounting it in front of the Obstacle Avoidance Sensors (I don't know how you would without some duct tape and weird angling of the tracker)

We take it for granted that people wont mount trackers in this way , but there will be a large influx of new pilots when the Mavic Pro is released in volume.

There's always a few jack-a-lopes!

Something tells I will need to get one of these lol

[QUO TE="msin ger, post: 10739, member: 7"]Michael Fox, you can find a list of commonly used trackers here. The challenge will be finding a location to attach the tracker.[/QUOTE]

Dynamic3Dsolutions.com will design a few GPS tracker mounts for Commonly Used trackers for the Mavic pro very soon.

Where are you thinking of mounting them?

We have a few ideas but until we get the trackers in and run test we have no one spot locked in yet. It will not block any sensors and will most likely be a ~clip in~ design to maintain portability. I would be interested in finding out what will become the most used tracker with the mavic pro.

will most likely be a ~clip in~ design to maintain portability
Clipping a holder onto one of the front arms might be doable. It'll have to be removed each time the Mavic is folded closed though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke