DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Tracking device

Clipping a holder onto one of the front arms might be doable. It'll have to be removed each time the Mavic is folded closed though.
The two little rear legs have slots where it looks like you could clip in something that you could mount your holder onto. This could probably extend the legs a little as well to add some clearance. I'm just visualizing.

The problem with the rear legs is that they are very close to the ground. I don't think there is going to be enough clearance there for any of the commonly used trackers.

I'm using the RF-V16 for my P3.

For the Mavic I've ordered this new tracker for $21, it's in Preorder to try it out
Smart Mini GPS Tracker Anti Lost Anti Theft Vibration Alarm Phone Alert for Bike Electric Power Bike Mountain and Road Bike

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Niceun
I'm using the RF-V16 for my P3.

For the Mavic I've ordered this new tracker for $21, it's in Preorder to try it out
Smart Mini GPS Tracker Anti Lost Anti Theft Vibration Alarm Phone Alert for Bike Electric Power Bike Mountain and Road Bike
I'd cancel that order if I were you.
1. Can't see a weight quoted anywhere in the specs so you have no idea what it will do to your MTOM
Edit: OK, I have now found out the weight is around 18g so no big deal. (#2 below still holds though)

2. It appears to have a strong magnetic fixing (to attach it to bike frames etc) this will make it useless for use with the Mavic since it will skew the compass.

Last edited:
1. Can't see a weight quoted anywhere in the specs so you have no idea what it will do to your MTOM
Edit: OK, I have now found out the weight is around 18g so no big deal. (#2 below still holds though)

2. It appears to have a strong magnetic fixing (to attach it to bike frames etc) this will make it useless for use with the Mavic since it will skew the compass.

I'm with the editor on this one.
You don't want anything interfering with the compass.
That's how fly away's can happen.

Last edited:

Good point thanks :)
Although I do wonder if it's just a magnet, I can simply remove that and mount it with DB tape.

Good point thanks :)
Although I do wonder if it's just a magnet, I can simply remove that and mount it with DB tape.
Depends if it's actually the case I guess - suppose you could always remove the guts from the case altogether.

The problem with the rear legs is that they are very close to the ground. I don't think there is going to be enough clearance there for any of the commonly used trackers.
I'm picturing that the holder will attach to the rear legs with some kind of spring arms with tabs on them that would slide in between the legs and lock. The holder itself would hang below and have its own legs on the bottom, which would raise the whole drone and create the clearance. Some extenders could be added to the front legs to level it back up. This would also solve the problem of low ground clearance, while providing storage space for the tracker. I have to draw something up.

I'm picturing that the holder will attach to the rear legs with some kind of spring arms with tabs on them that would slide in between the legs and lock. The holder itself would hang below and have its own legs on the bottom, which would raise the whole drone and create the clearance.
It sounds like you're saying the tracker would be positioned beneath the Mavic's body. If so, that wouldn't be ideal since there are sensors along the entire length of the Mavic's belly.

It sounds like you're saying the tracker would be positioned beneath the Mavic's body. If so, that wouldn't be ideal since there are sensors along the entire length of the Mavic's belly.
Yes, the holder would be underneath but sticking out the back so as not to cover the bottom sensors. The two arms would slide between the rear legs and latch into the slots. Here is a very quick and crude drawing.mavicrear.jpg

RF-V16 is solid. I use it on all my P3's. A small strip of 3m Dual Lock holds it solid even after I've ditched it 2mi away in a wheat/soy field. It also allows you to detatch and use on other drones, or devices or your GF/wifes car.

8f6UQRK.jpg

Reactions: WheezyDabs
I've owned a few trackers for my drones and this is by far the best and smallest I've tried. I now own 4 of them 2 for my drones and 2 for my kids. It is basically a mini cell phone that you can program to call or text specific numbers. It costs me $10.00 for 3 months as long as the kids don't use it to talk a lot. The tracking function doesn't seem to use your minutes and that's why it is only $10 dollars for the 3 months. I also put a small label on my drones If found press A button. Which automatically sends me the exact location and calls me. You can find it on amazon and eBay but gearbest is the cheapest. The one from gearbest also comes with a wrist band for the kids. Hope this helps some of you out.
RF-V16 GPS Tracker SOS Communicator

I'm planning to use an old APM 2.0 Flight Controller with a 3DR mavlink radio to act as my Mavic tracker. I have one left over from a quad build I did a few years ago. The APM 2.0 has GPS, magnetomter/compass, barometric sensor, and accelerometers. The newer APM boards no longer have the integrated gps. The 3DR radio I have has a range of about 1 km LOS, although you can buy higher power ones with greater range . The APM, 3DR and a battery weigh about 75g total, so the Mavic should be able to handle it OK. I will use a Galaxy tablet running AndroPilot as a ground station. This will give me an independent real-time telemetry readout and moving map display. So it will be useful both as a tracker in case of failure of the Mavic controller, and as verification of the Mavic telemetry data.

APM 2.0 boards are rare on ebay, but I've seen APM 2.5 boards with external gps on ebay for about US$120 - APM 2.5.2 Flight Controller Board W/6M Ublox GPS, Multi-rotor Copter ARDUPILOT | eBay

Reactions: Cjgeno
Michael,

I'm using the Marco Polo system on all of my birds (5). I really like it, a bit spendy but no subscriptions or fees and its pretty small. You just have to get within 2 miles of your bird to find it. I did some decent tests and actually had to use it on one occasion and it works great. I put one on my Mavic, on the back of the battery but I'm not thrilled with the look. I'll figure out a better way to mount it after I break my bird in!

Jerry

MPTracker01.JPG MPTracker02.JPG

Reactions: Loz
Just bought the mini gps tracker tk102 v2 for €59,- put a Prepaid card in and works like a charm.
Just give it a call with your cellphone and it will send you it's coordinates for google maps and BANG right on the money!
Uses gps/gprs and is accurate up to 5m. with a s#*¥ load of options to configure like geofence, mph/km alert, monitor .....and so on.

Michael,

I'm using the Marco Polo system on all of my birds (5). I really like it, a bit spendy but no subscriptions or fees and its pretty small. You just have to get within 2 miles of your bird to find it. I did some decent tests and actually had to use it on one occasion and it works great. I put one on my Mavic, on the back of the battery but I'm not thrilled with the look. I'll figure out a better way to mount it after I break my bird in!

Jerry

View attachment 1954 View attachment 1955

Looked at this one but not cheap and hard to get here, so went for the tk102.

Michael,

Jerry

View attachment 1954 View attachment 1955

I was thinking on top of the battery as well... would not cover anything up...sensors, compass, gps etc... Although it might not look totally clean, I'd take function over form any day Thumbswayup

I fear the last 50m or so when searching for the Mavic, as the Mavic is difficult to recognise in gras or bushes compared to a white and bigger Phantom. So I have attached a Loc8tor transmitter by velcro above the read LED. The GPS position should be available from the GO4 or Litchi app, too.

Marco Polo here, all you guys getting the gps trackers better hope you crash or auto land in a spot with a cell signal, no cell signal, no tracking. That's why I went with the MP, don't need no stinking cell signal, or GPS for that matter, the receiver will lead you right up to your quad from up to two miles away. And even if you are out of range just head in the general direction of your last position and you will pick up the signal. I fly in the mountains and desert a lot and many times no cell service. I am going to try mounting it on the back under the DJI logo, it is only .8" wide and there is 1.5" between the blade tips, mount it vertical with the antenna up.

Last edited:
(RE: MarcoPolo) I am going to try mounting it on the back under the DJI logo, it is only .8" wide and there is 1.5" between the blade tips, mount it vertical with the antenna up.

Cool, can you post up a photo when you do please?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya