DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Tracking device

Wasn't aware that the gps antenna was right in front, no problem, if it interferes I will move it. The problem with yours is it needs a cell signal to work, and as I stated I fly many places with no or very spotty signal.

Yeah, mine won't work well then. Maybe others can use my idea though. If you put your hand over where you had yours mounted, you'll see it will most likely go into atti mode that is once you get a gps signal.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yeah, mine won't work well then. Maybe others can use my idea though. If you put your hand over where you had yours mounted, you'll see it will most likely go into atti mode that is once you get a gps signal.

I have flown it several times in this position and haven't noticed any degradation of signal, but taking no chances I moved it to the lower right fuselage just in front of the SD card access door.
IMG_1663.jpg

Also the tk102b has an "open mike" function so you can blow a horn or whistle and see if you can hear it through microphone on unit if your in range. I have a few friends using these to keep an eye on their significant other lol! I also piggy back a tile Bluetooth tracker with it for up close pinpoint tracking.
237b18cd072ec5cc93db5820b9cbfedb.jpg

Seems like the type of tracker I bought (less than $20) does the same for a TON less money PLUS Seems to have more features. Here's a link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142058169421

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Does the TK102B rely on the 2G cellular network? This was the issue with the Garmin GTU-10 tracker. 2G support in Canada is being discontinued in 2017, and I believe it is also being phased out in US at different times depending on the network provider.

Does the TK102B rely on the 2G cellular network? This was the issue with the Garmin GTU-10 tracker. 2G support in Canada is being discontinued in 2017, and I believe it is also being phased out in US at different times depending on the network provider.

This may be true but apparently T-Mobile is gonna keep it up for some time here in the states from what I've read.

This may be true but apparently T-Mobile is gonna keep it up for some time here in the states from what I've read.

Hi Michael,

Yes, it's true that the TK102b only uses 2G.
I have one and love it, not sure yet for best location on the Mavic (EMI).

Really? I had to ask they had no clue what I was talking about but I told them I saw on this forum someone got there's insured and I sent them the screen shot. I'll post it. They emailed me back and said yes they can it covers theft loss or water damage even flying over water.

Sent from my SM-N920T using MavicPilots mobile app

I use the Marco Polo tracker on my Mavic Pro ....have it on the top arm it fits perfectly when collapsed no need to remove can even charge it weekly without removing.Note there is no sim...
Hope that helps you.
Could you please post a picture of your setup? Thanks.

Could you please post a picture of your setup? Thanks.
Yes, I'll be transferring my MarcoPolo from the Phantom to the Mavic. It's been a year now since Garmin discontinued the GTU10 service (AT&T discontinuing 2G mobile) - loved the feature that allowed browser and/or application tracking to pinpoint, although the MarcoPolo homing method is acceptable and doesn't rely on on cellular transmission of GPS coordinates.

Tested my new Marco Polo (Santa :) ) in the park today. Had my wife hide the tag in the weeds 1/3 mile away somewhere in the park. The tracker brought me right to it in no time, takes a little practice to use it to good effect, will also find the tag if it's on a ledge or in a tree. No GPS pr phone needed and the best part is it will fit in my bag. Was going to put the tag on the battery, but didn't like the idea of having to switch it out every battery change (I fly 4 most times) so I put it on the front. The MP works best up close when the tag antenna is vertical, at distance it doesn't matter. Industrial Velcro seems to work very well. If you get one I suggest you practice with it a good bit before you might actually need it, it can track up to 3 tags, and if your friend has one he can also help you look by transferring the tag ID to his tracker, making it much faster to locate the tag, cool idea. The tracker is as wide as the Mavic, and half as long, lucky for me I am using a sling bag and there is room for it.
View attachment 3061 View attachment 3062
I have just purchased one of these and am considering mounting options (I also have a couple batteries). Does the antenna stay up even during speedy flights? E.g. Have you noticed any possibility of one of the propellers cutting or nicking the tag antenna? Attached to the battery it does not seem possible. But up front?

I have just purchased one of these and am considering mounting options (I also have a couple batteries). Does the antenna stay up even during speedy flights? E.g. Have you noticed any possibility of one of the propellers cutting or nicking the tag antenna? Attached to the battery it does not seem possible. But up front?
I found that attaching it on the top front does indeed lower the number of satellites picked up by one or two, so I moved it to the side, I have ordered a set of landing leg extensions and will try mounting it on the cross bar of the rear one. Another option is to mount it on the rear body just above the status led vertically. Even in sport mode the antenna does not bend much, and does not come close to the prop, so far the best clearance is on the side. The photo shows it on the side and you can see the props dont even come close, also you still have access to both the battery release buttons and the SD card slot door.
IMG_1668.jpg

NOTE - I received the leg extensions and really like them, the MP Tag will only mount on the cross bar if the antenna is pointing down, which is not the best as it will bend when on the ground. It is however a perfect place to mount a strobe light :)

Last edited:
Reactions: =HH=
That's a bad place to mount it because that's where the gps antennae is located. I mount mine off the rearView attachment 3424 and use a cheaper version that's around $20 off Ebay. I use speed talk sim at $5 a month. I know it blocks the rear light but have to sacrifice something sacrifisomething

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Actually after some testing it seems that the GPS antenna on the Mavic is on the rear top right above the DJI logo. Fire up the quad and get some satellites then place your palm over the front top, no change, now move it to the rear top over the logo, bam, you lose all signal.

Last edited:
I found that attaching it on the top front does indeed lower the number of satellites picked up by one or two, so I moved it to the side, I have ordered a set of landing leg extensions and will try mounting it on the cross bar of the rear one. Another option is to mount it on the rear body just above the status led vertically. Even in sport mode the antenna does not bend much, and does not come close to the prop, so far the best clearance is on the side. The photo shows it on the side and you can see the props dont even come close, also you still have access to both the battery release buttons and the SD card slot door.
View attachment 3859

NOTE - I received the leg extensions and really like them, the MP Tag will only mount on the cross bar if the antenna is pointing down, which is not the best as it will bend when on the ground. It is however a perfect place to mount a strobe light :)
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback and will move the tracker. I've been looking at ordering leg extensions. too :)

Is there any reason the Trackimo would interfere with a Tile tracker or vice versa? I want the trackimo to get me within a few hundred feet, and use the tile siren to zero in on it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MavicPilots mobile app

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke