DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Tracking device

Could you provide some pictures how it looks on mavek and links on device?

Sorry the delay....

41cceb49881caa46eda498b6e34b5496.jpg
10753d0c2bbb3ee408fc3f8aa568be59.jpg

Reactions: j.ander360
I just tried my RF-V16 on a number of locations. All failures. The top front gives compass errors. The top of the battery, back of the craft or side of the craft all seemed to work well. I took off with 16 sats. But after about a minute the Mavic went to ATTI mode. This is wide open skies in the middle of the desert so absolutely no reason for it to lose sats. Landing it was tough. Good learning experience though because I don't usually fly ATTI.

Without the tracker it flies like a dream and GPS is rock steady. It's the tracker for sure. Possibly mine is throwing off more RF than other identical units? But what's the point of a tracker that sends your quad on a wild fly-away? I guess if you lose it and it crashes you can at least find it's carcass but no thanks to that!

I think to be safe the tracker needs to be off the body of the Mavic entirely.

I ordered one of these: RF-V16 Tracker Holder for DJI Mavic Pro | eBay

If it works I'll let you know.

On the plus side, I did find a very low tech method of increasing your odds for a safe return. I got a non-ferrous metal dog tag printed on-line. Added bonus you can put your FAA registration information on the tag too. They don't seem to mess up the compass or GPS.

Amazon.com : Providence Engraving Aluminum Pet ID Tags for Cat and Dog : Pet Identification Tags : Pet Supplies

View attachment 8073
I have an RF-V16, first flight I used Velcro to attach it top front away from the GPS, it didn't seem to cause any issues but I decided I didn't like it being on top as if the Velcro failed it was at risk of going in the props, but that may be overcautious as the Velcro tape I used was plenty strong.

I've now relocated it to be Velcro'd and cable tied to one of my little heightened landing gear legs at the front, it's well away from GPS and compasses down there, and although there are antennae in the front legs I've seen no issues at all with signal or positioning.

For the GPS trackers that use cell service, what do you guys recommend for SIM cards and service? I'd like to get something reasonably priced and not the hassle of continually renewing every month. Thanks!

Haven't used trackimo mostly due to cost. Seems like the type of tracker I bought (less than $20) does the same for a TON less money PLUS Seems to have more features. Here's a link
Genuine Magnetic Mini Car GPS Tracker TK102B For Spy Personal Real Time Tracking | eBay
Only thing you need is a speed mobile sim and here is the link for that
$5 Prepaid SIM Card for GSM GPS Tracker Pet Senior Kid Child Car Smart Watches

I'm confused on how this works. Do you just pop the sim card into the tracker and are good to go? Is there a monthly charge? All help appreciated.

Last edited:
You have reported nothing, I assume it didnt work. At least I have not succeeded with that combination, RF-V16 and Tracker Holder. GPS failures after a minute. Text "Vision" in phone and "Check app" in RC. The status indicator is steady red. Have you found a solution?
Very annoying if that's the case, I have one on the way to replace my current (working) solution simply because it would make it easier to remove the tracker to use on another drone as well.

I'm interested to hear from rbhamilton, but to be sure we're talking about the same thing, are you using the black holder pictured earlier in the thread that snaps onto the mavic arms?

Have you tried turning off periodic updates to gps123.org ? You can text #goff to the rf-v16 then it won't do regular updates but instead only return a position via SMS if queried. That may fix the interference with the mavic GPS.

My current mounting point is using cable ties and velcro to attach the rf-v16 to a front extended landing gear leg, so it's well away from the back where the GPS is, I have flown that way quite a few times with no issues at all. I have position updates disabled, but the tracker must still be transmitting to the cellphone network to maintain it's signal.

Have you tried turning off periodic updates to gps123.org ? You can text #goff to the rf-v16 then it won't do regular updates but instead only return a position via SMS if queried. That may fix the interference with the mavic GPS.
Thanks for your answer and advice.
Yes, I have tried. Same result, after about 5 minutes of flight Mavic is loosing stability and the red light comes on. How are people using this? I dont prefer the front legs.

Really? I had to ask they had no clue what I was talking about but I told them I saw on this forum someone got there's insured and I sent them the screen shot. I'll post it. They emailed me back and said yes they can it covers theft loss or water damage even flying over water.

Sent from my SM-N920T using MavicPilots mobile app

But I thought I read that it only covers the drone itself for replacement but will not cover liability? Or did I see that wrong?

Yes, I have tried. Same result, after about 5 minutes of flight Mavic is loosing stability and the red light comes on. How are people using this? I dont prefer the front legs.
Yeah I got mine today. Tested without flying, strong compass interference even with the RF-V16 powered off, presumably due to the magnet in the speaker of the tracker. To the sellers credit they issued an immediate refund. I'm going back to mounting mine on a front extended landing gear leg.

To whoever said earlier they mount theirs on the side of the mavic with velcro - be very careful - I tried that position when I was playing around today with the tracker holder and various other positions, and if you watch the sensor status page in the DJI Go app for the compass status whilst holding the tracker in that position, you can see significant interference. Not as bad as with the holder being discussed, but very noticeable nonetheless.

The only way I'd try the rf-v16 in that holder again would be to disassemble it and remove the speaker, but then you lose the ability to call it and have it ring which I want since if you ever have to use it in anger the GPS may only get you so close and the ringer might be very helpful to precisely locate the mavic in trees, undergrowth etc.

I am using the TRACKIMO 3G tracking unit that uses the Cellular 3/4G networks to track your MAVIC PRO with the TRACKIMO app that's on my iPhone 7 plus. The price is $139 and that price includes the service for the first year.
4eb09d10c550852301c83c7ddd74d069.jpg
f46ff5d8cf667f1c7533e9c44fb089b1.jpg

I made a modification to the tracker holder. I extended the "legs" with 3 cm. At left the modification. So far it works.

Attachments

• rf.jpg
    rf.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 86
I made a modification to the tracker holder. I extended the "legs" with 3 cm. At left the modification. So far it works.

What if you combined your version with this?
Soporte RF-V16 para Mavic Pro. V2 by Desmen

Where you use the "hat" holder to mount the tracker on the mavic' head, but rather than using glue like this guy's, have support struts come down the side of the Mav's head to grab the armpits of the front legs.

Then tracker is front where least interference, but also easy snap on and off like your rear version.

I am using the TRACKIMO 3G tracking unit that uses the Cellular 3/4G networks to track your MAVIC PRO with the TRACKIMO app that's on my iPhone 7 plus. The price is $139 and that price includes the service for the first year.
4eb09d10c550852301c83c7ddd74d069.jpg
f46ff5d8cf667f1c7533e9c44fb089b1.jpg
I like the setup. Looks like the weight is evenly distributed across the rear of the unit. Have you encountered any types of problems? Did the Trackimo come with the housing or did you create your own?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580