DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from Michigan USA

Commo

Reactions
Hi, all, I'm finding this a great place to learn about my new Mavic Pro...

I've had it for just a few days and have enjoyed a few Beginner mode flights in my backyard in suburban Detroit. I've got the Fly More package with my iPhone 7 for the Go 4 app. I'd love an iPad Mini 4 but probably won't spend the money until I see what I can do with the iPhone..

Since I took early retirement from Michigan's biggest newspaper (Director of Photography & Video) I've had a conservation-minded web site called www.AuSableTrout.com, which presents short 'newspaper-style' videos about conservation/restoration projects on the famous AuSable River in northern Michigan, where I've been fly fishing for trout for close to 45 years.

I've got a new project going and wanted beautiful drone footage of the river and thus the Mavic acquisition..

So I'll be going from newbie to flying over woods and water...what could go wrong??? ;)

One of the things I've been studying is color space on the drone compared to the 1920/30 settings I use on my Canon 5D Mk II, as they'll need to be compatible. Right now I'm focused on 2.7K/30.

So far I've found that a little color grading on footage shot on the Art setting with 0,-1,-1 'Style' gets close to having the same 'feel' onscreen..lots more testing to do when I can actually get back up north in a week and shoot some river footage. Advice welcome!

I'm seeing lots of thoughts about flying over water -- that'll be key to my success; anyone able to summarize their experiences over moving water? As I step away from Beginner mode I will be experimenting heavily with Cinematic mode as the slow steady movement it imparts should work well for the sort of video I envision for my project.

I really enjoy the international flavor of the responders here!

Commo

Welcome from southwest lower Michigan, my fly more will be here Monday been lurking in the site for awhile now.

Hey, Mj..steep learning curve for me -- now I wish I'd played PlayStation with my kids...I'd have more facility with the remote controller...

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum .:)

Yeah I have a buddy who has a p3a flew it for 5 mins and was hooked started saving the next day I grew up playing all different gaming systems I hope it will be easier for me the mavic remotes are more like game remotes just going to take it real slow.

Hi, all, I'm finding this a great place to learn about my new Mavic Pro...

I've had it for just a few days and have enjoyed a few Beginner mode flights in my backyard in suburban Detroit. I've got the Fly More package with my iPhone 7 for the Go 4 app. I'd love an iPad Mini 4 but probably won't spend the money until I see what I can do with the iPhone..

Since I took early retirement from Michigan's biggest newspaper (Director of Photography & Video) I've had a conservation-minded web site called www.AuSableTrout.com, which presents short 'newspaper-style' videos about conservation/restoration projects on the famous AuSable River in northern Michigan, where I've been fly fishing for trout for close to 45 years.

I've got a new project going and wanted beautiful drone footage of the river and thus the Mavic acquisition..

So I'll be going from newbie to flying over woods and water...what could go wrong??? ;)

One of the things I've been studying is color space on the drone compared to the 1920/30 settings I use on my Canon 5D Mk II, as they'll need to be compatible. Right now I'm focused on 2.7K/30.

So far I've found that a little color grading on footage shot on the Art setting with 0,-1,-1 'Style' gets close to having the same 'feel' onscreen..lots more testing to do when I can actually get back up north in a week and shoot some river footage. Advice welcome!

I'm seeing lots of thoughts about flying over water -- that'll be key to my success; anyone able to summarize their experiences over moving water? As I step away from Beginner mode I will be experimenting heavily with Cinematic mode as the slow steady movement it imparts should work well for the sort of video I envision for my project.

I really enjoy the international flavor of the responders here!

Commo

Always remember that cinematic mode allows mavic to drift much further after letting go of the stick. This makes for smooth shots, but is dangerous near trees and other objects.

Also, recently watched a great YouTube video on adjusting the sticks on the remote control for smoother yawning and for much smoother up/down gimbal movement.

Here is the video:

Lapeer,

Thanks, I have seen that video and have those settings to try (sun's out today!) and also appreciate the longer braking distances -- will be practicing a LOT before braving the trees and snags around the river...

Commo

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Welcome from Indiana ! Sounds like you have a fun plan in place. Based on recent experiences it seems like disabling Landing Protection and/or being ready to hit the sport mode switch might be your best ways to avoid any catastrophies when flying around the water. Enjoy your trip,

Lapeer,

Thanks, I have seen that video and have those settings to try (sun's out today!) and also appreciate the longer braking distances -- will be practicing a LOT before braving the trees and snags around the river...

Commo

I'm preparing to shoot my first video since adjusting the sticks as recommended in the video.

Heading to the silverdome to try and film as much of the stadium as possible.

I ran down three batteries today at a nearby park -- learned a lot about Cinematic mode and experimented with Art and a couple other color spaces, along with manual & auto exposure, just trying to work through various controls, etc, etc.

All this btw with the Polar Pro ND16 filter, which enabled me to keep the shutter speed low, though not always at double my 30fps frame rate (i.e. 1/60th second.) I'm impressed by the camera in this machine..though it baffles me why these cameras don't have apertures...but I'm an old school photojournalist..

Lapeer, the Silverdome ought to make a fun subject..how was it?

BTW, first adjustment was to enable the red LEDs on the front 'legs' fulltime -- if you're recording they go off by default and I liked having them on as I got the drone further and further from me. It enabled me to square up the drone for the return trip by seeing the two lights..I haven't gotten comfortable yet just flying the drone while watching the iPhone 7 screen...

Commo

I just flew mine a little ways and stayed low but I am still learning the controls as well as the dji4 app. I am haveing trouble useing my s6edge phone. I would like to get a larger display/monitor that communicates and displays at the same level the drone is built. Any ideas?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots