DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching methods

saudio

Reactions
I've been searching here about hand catching the Mavic. The two methods I have found are either to grab the mavic and pull down the stick while it tries to fly away from your hand (I tried this and it seems sketchy) or to disable the downward sensors and then catch.

The posts I have read indicate to disable the sensors by going through the menus on the DJI go ap. Is there any reason one couldn't just flip the Mavic into Sport mode right before catching rather than using the menu to switch off the sensors? Sport mode turns them off, right?

Or, is there another shortcut to disabling the sensors through the menu? Just trying to make it as simple as possible.

Thanks

I just grab the Mavic carefully between the gimbal and the front sensor. Haven't had any issues with that. I personally wouldn't turn the sensors off because the Mavic isn't as stable as they advertised right now and it tends to drift. I would rather have it trying to fly away from me than at me. Last thing I'd want is a drifting drone, near eye level, trying to hand catch. I'm sure it's not a huge risk, but if the risk outweighs the benefit, it's not worth the risk.

I've been cut by my old Phantom 3 props trying to stop it from hitting a tree after it wasn't responding to controls. My hand was cut up pretty bad and was bruised all over. Definitely don't want something like that happening again or to my face.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcb942 and Simmly
First of all i dont recommend hand catch for safety reason, but i can tell you i do hand catch always since its so easy. my best way to do it is to approach myself with the mavic in gps mode and about 2 meters high i put my right hand under the mavic when it feels my hand via sensors it goes up but in the same time i pull the left stick down and it is going to land into my hand, and as soon as it stopped coming down because i grab it and it stops the motors right there so doesnt want to go up any more I grab it front of the battery release buttons

Here's my method of Hand-Catching-
As opposed to catching the Mavic from below, (which can work too, but will initially cause the Mavic to rise away),
the method I've been using is one where your hand approaches the Mavic at the front (camera) end and from slightly below.

The DJI GO 4 app settings I’ve had set are with all Obstacle Avoidance sensors on, and the Mavic is in GPS Mode, (not Sport Mode).
It was also done in broad daylight.
While it seems as if approaching the Mavic from the front should trigger the obstacle avoidance sensors,
it does not, if approached from slightly below the drone and in the following manner outlined below:

1. Maneuver the drone to about shoulder level height and 5-6 feet away in front of you with the nose pointed towards you.

2. Holding the remote controller in one hand (ready to pull the left stick throttle back to “0” and shut down the engines),
slowly reach out with the other hand towards the drone, with your hand approaching the nose slightly from below,
and grasp the front body in the narrow area just behind the camera.
If your hand approaches the drone correctly from slightly below and directly at the front end, the Mavic will not rise or move,
(unless you accidentally jostle it with your hand as you grasp it).

3. From that point it is easy to use your other hand to pull RC left stick back to zero, thereby shutting the motors down.

Here's my method of Hand-Catching-
As opposed to catching the Mavic from below, (which can work too, but will initially cause the Mavic to rise away),
the method I've been using is one where your hand approaches the Mavic at the front (camera) end and from slightly below.

The DJI GO 4 app settings I’ve had set are with all Obstacle Avoidance sensors on, and the Mavic is in GPS Mode, (not Sport Mode).
It was also done in broad daylight.
While it seems as if approaching the Mavic from the front should trigger the obstacle avoidance sensors,
it does not, if approached from slightly below the drone and in the following manner outlined below:

1. Maneuver the drone to about shoulder level height and 5-6 feet away in front of you with the nose pointed towards you.

2. Holding the remote controller in one hand (ready to pull the left stick throttle back to “0” and shut down the engines),
slowly reach out with the other hand towards the drone, with your hand approaching the nose slightly from below,
and grasp the front body in the narrow area just behind the camera.
If your hand approaches the drone correctly from slightly below and directly at the front end, the Mavic will not rise or move,
(unless you accidentally jostle it with your hand as you grasp it).

3. From that point it is easy to use your other hand to pull RC left stick back to zero, thereby shutting the motors down.
Yep, that is far and away the simplest way to do it. No button pressing, no disabling sensors etc. As long as you have acquired some basic orientation skills (right is left, left is right when moving head first towards you etc) it's as easy as pie!

I've been searching here about hand catching the Mavic. The two methods I have found are either to grab the mavic and pull down the stick while it tries to fly away from your hand (I tried this and it seems sketchy) or to disable the downward sensors and then catch.

The posts I have read indicate to disable the sensors by going through the menus on the DJI go ap. Is there any reason one couldn't just flip the Mavic into Sport mode right before catching rather than using the menu to switch off the sensors? Sport mode turns them off, right?

Or, is there another shortcut to disabling the sensors through the menu? Just trying to make it as simple as possible.

Thanks

Sport mode doesn't turn off downward sensor. I tried and it still rise in sport mode.
For me, I always lower my Mavic to about 2feet above my head for safety reason. Then just catch it slowly and firmly while throttle down.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thanks

The safest way I've found to hand catch is to use the auto landing feature. You don't get the spin-up in the blades. This video shows how smooth it is.

Reactions: fonzie
I disagree with everyone here.

Bring to just above head level. Disable downward sensor. Slowly reach up and grab from bottom. Stick down until motors shut off. This gives you all the time in the world to make sure you have a firm grasp. And turning the sensors off doesn't cause it to drift unless you're in OPTI mode. GPS is what keeps it in place.

Grabbing from the front and having to avoid sensors seems too easy trip the sensor. Snatching it out of the air and have it try to pull out of your hand (from not turning the sensors off) is dangerous and stupid. Auto land forces you to catch it at whatever rate its coming down. Better not miss grab because its coming down reguardless.

I disagree with everyone here.

Bring to just above head level. Disable downward sensor. Slowly reach up and grab from bottom. Stick down until motors shut off. This gives you all the time in the world to make sure you have a firm grasp. And turning the sensors off doesn't cause it to drift unless you're in OPTI mode. GPS is what keeps it in place.

Grabbing from the front and having to avoid sensors seems too easy trip the sensor. Snatching it out of the air and have it try to pull out of your hand (from not turning the sensors off) is dangerous and stupid. Auto land forces you to catch it at whatever rate its coming down. Better not miss grab because its coming down reguardless.

I just don't like the thing revving up before it shuts down (which still occurs with turning off the sensors) so that's why I prefer the auto-landing feature.

I don't understand why people suggest to disable downward sensors. You don't need to do that.

Just place your right hand under the Mavic and move the left stick all way down. Mavic will firstly descent up to about 50 cm above your hand and then will slightly drop on it.
Don't catch the Mavic, otherwise it will try to escape, just gently hold it and keep the left stick in down position until motors stop.

Reactions: frank candor
Thanks for all the help here. I didn't know that Sport mode would not disable the downward sensors, so that question is answered.

I've seen many posts saying "disable downward sensors". I may not be looking in the right place but is there a way to only disable the downward sensors? Is that easier that just turning all sensors off?

I'm going to try all of these methods. I'll report back just for the heck of it. I don't like the idea of the motors revving as I grab it either so that one is definitely out.

Great place for information here, thanks.

The way I hand catch is as others have said, about head height then initiate an autoland with my hand under it, a slide bar will come up saying the ground below isn't great, simply slide it over and let it land in your hand and the motors power down on their own. Nothing gets disabled and there's no issues. I personally find the mavic safe to hand catch than the phantom as you just let it land in your open hand. Hand launches are just as easy, I hold the body on the bottom while I power up the motors because of the torque twist, then once they're idling, open my fingers and take off. Again, easier and safer than my phantom.

Reactions: james_mav
I don't understand why people suggest to disable downward sensors. You don't need to do that.

Just place your right hand under the Mavic and move the left stick all way down. Mavic will firstly descent up to about 50 cm above your hand and then will slightly drop on it.
Don't catch the Mavic, otherwise it will try to escape, just gently hold it and keep the left stick in down position until motors stop.

Because it's easier to put your hand on something that is sitting still than something that is coming at you. I don't know what that is so hard to grasp.

I don't want four props spinning around descending towards my face and arms. You can reach up and get a firm grasp on it before it moves at all.

Anxiously waiting the first owner to get a face full of prop when trying to catch an auto landing Mavic. Please post pictures.

I just tried this for the first time. I forgot to do the left stick down, for some reason though the motors would shut down when it realized it couldn't pull away. Anyways after about 2 seconds I realized that was wrong so I did left stick down and it shut down. The sensors didn't really react till after I grabbed it and it felt like I had full control.

To those that worry about a little rev up on the motors, why does that worry you? Just curious. The motors rev up when you assend quickly so it shouldn't hurt them right?

I don't plan to hand catch often but wanted to practice in case I have to sometime.

Thanks
Glad u asked. Got some good info back

I still don't understand how you guys initiate a stick command to launch motors while holding a Mavic in your hand. I mean you have to hold your remote one handed with a phone/phab/tab attached to it and use that very same hand to pull two sticks inwards. Just how do you do it?

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

Everyone's banging on about the motors revving if you try to 'catch it'. The motors will not rev and the sensors will not activate if you grab it at the front just behind the gimbal, with the quad facing you. As soon as you then engage the left stick all the way down the motors will just stop, with no drama at all. Auto landing into your hand is a recipe for plastic surgery.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I still don't understand how you guys initiate a stick command to launch motors while holding a Mavic in your hand. I mean you have to hold your remote one handed with a phone/phab/tab attached to it and use that very same hand to pull two sticks inwards. Just how do you do it?

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

I wonder if they place the MP on the ground, car, table, or whatever, use the two-sticks down and in, get the rotors going, then pick up by hand and fly off?

I wonder if they place the MP on the ground, car, table, or whatever, use the two-sticks down and in, get the rotors going, then pick up by hand and fly off?
Just use the auto take off feature. It can be done 1 handed

Reactions: Guitarzan
Turning off OA is a pain in the ***.
Switching to sports mode to disable OA will work.
I prefer leaving OA on.
I have tried the hand grab method. Just grab the belly and don't hesitate when the motors spin up. The issue with the grabbing is that there is a chance that your fingers can be nipped. I have changed the method of hand catching and I now prefer the palm landing technique. Let the mavic hover at above head height. Put your arms out about 30cm under the belly and hold left stick down until the Mavic lands in your palm and motors switch off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22