DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching methods

Ahh, maybe this is not the best way then ha ha. Like I said, I haven't tried it, picked up my Mavic on Friday in London and was busy the weekend, hopefully have the maiden flight this weekend. Will leave hand launching and catching for a few weeks.

I'm going to give these landing skids a try. Should make it much easier to hand catch.

There are 3D Print files to make your own skids for free, but I went with these because they have a little suspension system built in. They will probably be too heavy and prone to catching the wind, but I'll give them a try.

Let us know what you think of these....I heard in another thread somewhere that the guy who made these changed the design to get rid of the suspension because it kept folding under the mavic and making it tip over if not landing on a perfectly flat surface.

Reactions: erikgraham
Let us know what you think of these....I heard in another thread somewhere that the guy who made these changed the design to get rid of the suspension because it kept folding under the mavic and making it tip over if not landing on a perfectly flat surface.
Uh oh.

I've been waiting for some kind of shipping notice. They accepted my order last week. No follow up since. There was nothing on the site to indicate it was backordered. I'm sure it's just some guy in his garage so can't expect much.

I cant play guitar for a week after the incident yesterday catching my Mavic. I say avoid it if at all possible lol

Reactions: Rbruz
I'm going to give these landing skids a try. Should make it much easier to hand catch.

There are 3D Print files to make your own skids for free, but I went with these because they have a little suspension system built in. They will probably be too heavy and prone to catching the wind, but I'll give them a try.

I thought those were interesting, but they really don't give you much height and they seem too bulky and probably weigh more than other alternatives. I ordered these, gouduoduo2018 Prop Propeller Guards Protector Cover Bumpers / Landing Gear For DJI Mavic Pro from Amazon about a week or so ago and have flown with them several times. They worked quite well, seem pretty secure and give you what I think is probably a bit more height. Not to mention, they are only $8 instead of $52. So far, so good and very easy to attach and remove.

61rw2CzKSDL._SL1000_.jpg

Uh oh.

I've been waiting for some kind of shipping notice. They accepted my order last week. No follow up since. There was nothing on the site to indicate it was backordered. I'm sure it's just some guy in his garage so can't expect much.
Sorry...not trying to make you think you made a mistake ordering it.....I am sure it works as advertised but I recall seeing another video where he landed on some unlevel surface and one of the landing hoops folded under and the Mavic tipped over. I believe the guy that made them said he redesigned them without the rubber dampeners to keep this from happening.

Reactions: erikgraham
Sorry...not trying to make you think you made a mistake ordering it.....I am sure it works as advertised but I recall seeing another video where he landed on some unlevel surface and one of the landing hoops folded under and the Mavic tipped over. I believe the guy that made them said he redesigned them without the rubber dampeners to keep this from happening.
I actually saw a few versions without the dampers before I found those. We shall see how these work (if they ever get shipped to me). Perhaps I'll only use them if I plan to hand catch. To me, skids (with or without dampeners) look like the easiest and safest way to hand catch.

I heard a guy had his left arm severely damaged...but other than that he's all RIGHT now. :D
There is always this option:

metal-glove-small-piece-medieval-armor-32471728.jpg

I was thinking the bomb disposal suits the army guys wore in Hurt Locker.

I have caught it no problem and dealt with the power surge during the grab. I will be operating off a boat too and it's constant motion would make auto land tricky I think. It might be good to be able to abort the landing if needed. Just having nervous thoughts about being surrounded by all that deep salt water !

vsk

I've been searching here about hand catching the Mavic. The two methods I have found are either to grab the mavic and pull down the stick while it tries to fly away from your hand (I tried this and it seems sketchy) or to disable the downward sensors and then catch.

The posts I have read indicate to disable the sensors by going through the menus on the DJI go ap. Is there any reason one couldn't just flip the Mavic into Sport mode right before catching rather than using the menu to switch off the sensors? Sport mode turns them off, right?

Or, is there another shortcut to disabling the sensors through the menu? Just trying to make it as simple as possible.

Thanks

I know how, and I am not going to tell you.
Mate for your safety, please just dont.

Like really dont.

Disabling the downward sensors seems like a bad idea to me, because the day will eventually come when you forget to enable them again but think they are working and crash the drone. Not worth it.

Reactions: LeMur
There is a great way to catch it from the front under the front arms on the sides. This doesn't interfere with the sensors and your hand is protected by the arms. Just got to be careful not to bump the camera though. I have used it and works really well

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've been successfully catching my Mavic with it facing me, right in front of the sonar sensors. I even put some rubbery grip tape to aid in this. I almost hand launch and catch my Mavic exclusively now.
XHxLM5Kc8r8oqWMeGGc8Fjj37bfuVNf57LzOBEF0M9paONkT4Wh6zInQcXl-TXZ7uqh-ZOU3j6VKJXCaD0dNYpL8Vw0gdidTuGjfPerJNIzL6L2wJ-ljRUi-DbYRMlYHpfL7nKEBsPREOftJ4J4yf-eWx9jgcdKBNrjjDyrzIqvFU1eZ5vgbZi2jB0pphJfjxz-nDDS7DKY9XU65RCDaV5w5dzrq6zLp9PJ9-BArbss89mES8VU9_6BxxWzymt9s6ZRNK6bIHim-LihkbriCvr_LtoCMoqhcotFsgGfLKOlJoI2ghqGJHY-xR98icgROA9asQ1PbBbgDwPVTEIziSQgRxVzK76_Nl97wVwvi7QkMqV7sE5noQn_uYcBWkjXuWlPd3M4lGgLd9T0k-WrgRN4m4mDuwTIfZRrg3X05lajppyIQOxbk1JvU8alYLEJCdadVUvLZTxBJYJhxnD0pFX9PD0GA4_fdjIUdZ30Qxe7Qh_ro7o1w2_8tq8U6hTn593T_MDptx9XDXjfKsjQriHlyTx9n0HjdAwZPXGQyEP2q6L71lcppi68O0uzqfhKHPeVA3vXdWZlbm_gYngua8KcWd3gXUOoXioaXRoYWa1_yfOEy0Q=w800-no

Reactions: RAFALE
Yep. That's what I do. Doesn't have to be more complicated than that. I have done it dozens of times without probems.

You guys keep saying this and someone is going to get chopped up. How is a set of 4 spinning props descending towards you safe or easy? Let me know how it goes the first time you bobble the catch.

Disabling the downward sensors seems like a bad idea to me, because the day will eventually come when you forget to enable them again but think they are working and crash the drone. Not worth it.

Just re-enable after you land.

I love arguing this topic because when other people are get proven wrong they will actually have bodily harm.

Reactions: RAFALE
Its not a matter of right and wrong. Its a matter of choice. I will not be able to land my Mavic until June. There wont be a spot with out a foot of snow on it for months. I am not going to carry something with me everywhere I go to land the drone, so I will hand catch till then, ideal? No but I make it work. I understand the risk, but have limited options until then. Given the option of landing on flat cement or catching it I would be stupid to catch it but we don't all live in warm Arizona or Texas haha! If you don't understand the risk of reaching up under 4 props spinning you shouldn't be flying this drone, the risk is there, its up to you to minimize it with whatever method you feel is adequate.

Reactions: Rbruz
Its not a matter of right and wrong. Its a matter of choice. I will not be able to land my Mavic until June. There wont be a spot with out a foot of snow on it for months. I am not going to carry something with me everywhere I go to land the drone, so I will hand catch till then, ideal? No but I make it work. I understand the risk, but have limited options until then. Given the option of landing on flat cement or catching it I would be stupid to catch it but we don't all live in warm Arizona or Texas haha! If you don't understand the risk of reaching up under 4 props spinning you shouldn't be flying this drone, the risk is there, its up to you to minimize it with whatever method you feel is adequate.

by this type of weather you must have gloves on too :eek:)

I have cut myself very bad with racers, I even have cut baddly the sofa in my house (my wife was more concern by the sofa than me going to stich my arm..)

but racers props spin a lot faster than mavic's and props don't fold also.
on the mavic the props folds at impact so it is not as dangerous on hands (but still beware of your face area).

(my neightbour had 14 stiching points on his left forearms due to forgot taking of the props during tuning on a racer also there whas blood everywhere in his kitchen because props where spining it all around. sort of chain saw massacre movie sequence even his german shepperd dog ran outside the house !!)

practicing and not improvising is the way to do it

Reactions: Rbruz and Chase R
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots