DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching the Mavic?

What's so bad about a gentle ground landing?
There's nothing wrong with a gentle ground landing. Sometimes there is no good place to land on the ground though. For example, I was flying my P4 at the beach last week and I had to hand catch it because I was standing in the sand when I landed it.

I fly a lot from boats, and ground landings are most of the times not possible.

It seems dangerous. More so surprising when there is a perfectly good landing spot and they are reaching out to grab it. VPS kicks in and your pulling down on the stick and Mavic is trying to avoid you- just not safe. Especially for the younger audience. *Only when necessary in my Ops manual...
You can easily position your hand so the sonic sensors are not obstructed. The VPS cameras have nothing to do with with vertical positioning. Hand catching the Mavic is easy to do with a little practice.

I fly a lot from boats, and ground landings are most of the times not possible.
I do too, and completely agree. Once I got used to hand catching my P3 Pro, that's all I do anymore. Will just need to practice with the Mavic.

I've hand caught the Mavic maybe a dozen times now. No big deal although yes, your fingers are close to the blades. I see no problem doing it though.

I fly a lot of places with no good landing space and have been hand catching for years. On my first attempt with the Mavic I notice that hand launch is crazy easy. Better even than the Phantom series. My attempts at hand catching I noticed the VPS sensors kicking in and pushing the Mavic up when I went to grab it. There's no safe way to sneak in without getting caught by the VPS and when you grab it it tries to rocket up full throttle. Also not safe. Today's test I found a gentle, safe hand catch method which I hadn't tried as I'm reluctant to use the auto land methods. All you do is get your hand ready then activate the auto land swipe thingy then grab it. Easiest way I've found so far.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I fly a lot of places with no good landing space and have been hand catching for years. On my first attempt with the Mavic I notice that hand launch is crazy easy. Better even than the Phantom series. My attempts at hand catching I noticed the VPS sensors kicking in and pushing the Mavic up when I went to grab it. There's no safe way to sneak in without getting caught by the VPS and when you grab it it tries to rocket up full throttle. Also not safe. Today's test I found a gentle, safe hand catch method which I hadn't tried as I'm reluctant to use the auto land methods. All you do is get your hand ready then activate the auto land swipe thingy then grab it. Easiest way I've found so far.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Or you could just avoid the two sonic sensors in the middle, then it won't throttle up.

Think I saw DJI Ed suggesting catching by grabbing one of the front legs which would mean your hand is further from the props.

Has anyone tried that?

Think I saw DJI Ed suggesting catching by grabbing one of the front legs which would mean your hand is further from the props.
I wouldn't suggest trying that. Your hand will likely be closer to the blades and you'll probably drop the Mavic when the motors stop (since it'll be unbalanced).

Just reach up and grab it out of the air by the center of the body and don't wrap your fingers far around it. It just works. I've done it about 15 times without a hint of a problem.

I found you really gotta grip it tightly though. It tries to take off with a good amount of power right after gripping it.

I found you really gotta grip it tightly though. It tries to take off with a good amount of power right after gripping it.

Yes, true. If you had both hands free you could do the Left Down followed by CSC to stop the motors instantly but you can't easily with one hand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom