DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching the Mavic?

Yes, I agree a CSC would be the best way to shut it down if possible. I'm guessing most hand catchers will not be using a lanyard though.

I hand catch my mavic everytime, i grab the rear right arm at the base with my fingers, then hold down the left stick until it's off. Works fine this way for me.

Reactions: kmaluo
I wanted to add to this thread.
I have been practicing hand catching with the Mavic and I think I found my groove.

First time like most I suppose I went in slowly and it starts to zip upwards. That won't work.
Next I tried to just reach in quickly and attempt a CSC but I'm not an octopus so that won't work.
When you just reach in and grab it it really spins up wanting to get away in a big ol way but this is what I have found.

Once you get it hovering where you want to hand catch lower it a bit and reach in and grab it at the same time throttle all the way down and here's my trick - lift up on on the Mavic (not slow,not fast) and it will stop the motors more quickly.

Check it out!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I find it's best to have the camera towards you and firmly grab the slightly narrower part near the front.
Hand launch is fairly easy using autolaunch from the app.
I wish they put a secure attachment point for a lanyard,so you weren't looking for a spot to put down the controller when doing something with the Mavic.
You can put something round one of the arms but it's fiddly and tends to float over the screen.
It's not to support it in use just hold it round your neck when you need both hands for something else.
I'm wondering about a gopro sticky mount...

As P2V+ owner for several years, I frequently found the ability to hand catch the returning drone.

Will this still be possible with the Mavic? Perhaps if it's directly overhead and you can grab its mid section?

Just wondering others thoughts on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I do it al the time. For me I just reach up with one hand and lower it down with the other, then grab hold of it and pull down on the stick. It will fight you for a bit then it will slow down and the motors will stop. If you want to take off I recommend holding it high and as far from you as possible then using the slide to take off with the other hand.

It seems dangerous. More so surprising when there is a perfectly good landing spot and they are reaching out to grab it. VPS kicks in and your pulling down on the stick and Mavic is trying to avoid you- just not safe. Especially for the younger audience. *Only when necessary in my Ops manual...

I disagree, the sensors are slow to react to downward objects for a reason and it lets you do it without a hitch and I’m only 14 and I’ve never had any problems.

The downward sensors are slow to react to obstacles below them for a reason, if your relatively quick then it won’t do this. Another way to counter this is to fly the mavic into your hands.

First time I flew my Mavic I did a hand catch just to see what it would be like, and it’s easy no problem.

Long-time catcher of Phantoms, here. The Phantoms were the best for hand-catching high up on the right skid. One could securely grab the body as well and turn off the battery with the thumb.

Hand launching and recovering drones is a necessary skill. I've gotten used to the Mavic, but that's probably one thing my P3 did better.

I don't know about the Mavic Pro, but the Platinum has that 90 degree shutoff. I don't mess with the CSCs anymore.

Another topic that’s been discussed so many times that it gets boring. I wonder if people here actually go back and search if a thread already exists before making a new one.

Anyhow, hand-catching is neither difficult nor dangerous and in fact is the only method I’ve been using in the past 10 months (got the Mavic a year ago). Just try it when you feel confident enough and you’ll never go back to normal landing.

Tried it yesterday, just make sure the sensors are turned of or the little bugger keeps moving away from you lol

For the last time, I have mentioned this many times in many threads:

If you want to catch the Mavic safely, without having it fighting you, simply
SWITCH OFF LANDING PROTECTION, no need to switch off downward sensors.

Avoid in strong winds....
Avoid flying in strong winds all together. If the wind is that strong that you couldn't catch it you're way outside the envelope and asking for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851