DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hand catching

Justin586

Reactions
another noob question but how do I safely hand catch the mavic? I tried recently but I had the sensors on so it flew up.
also I'm actually scared it could chop my arm off haha. it cut clean through a 2 inch soft palm tree in our garden...

and then how do I stop the rotors once I have it caught with one hand?

apologies if a stupid q [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Not at all. I did some hand catching and hand launching today.

The easiest way is to turn off the downward vision sensor and lower it to a height you can grab from underneath and grab it and then with your hand holding the RC pull down the left joystick and the motors turn off.

With the sensors on you do the same procedure and when it starts rising you pull left joystick down while raising your hand and it will kill the motors and you catch it. Just be careful letting it get to high. If you follow it with your hand you won't have a big gap.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

One other option is grab the Mavic from underneath and it will try taking off hold on and pull joystick down until it kills the motors.

There is a spot on the underside that one can use to hand catch where the VPS will not detect your hand and allow you to grab it. Its right where the body on the bottom starts to flare inwards.

One other option is grab the Mavic from underneath and it will try taking off hold on and pull joystick down until it kills the motors.

There's a danger in that the Mavic will spin up it's blades to try to get away from your hand in this instance and if you loose your grip and the blades hit you, then you're in for a painful time...

What I've practiced is that I bring down the Mavic to a height I'm comfortable grabbing it and moving it up slightly, then swipe the option to turn off the downward sensors which pops up a confirmation message... Click on the "OK" on the confirmation, grab the Mavic, and hold down the throttle while raising the Mavic slightly which immediately spins down the blades.

I agree that isn't the best but is an option. I tried all kinds of techniques today and find the best and safest is to turn off the sensors.

I tried the method where you grab where the sensors aren't and found that I almost dropped it because when the motors turn off the Mavic wants to flip because you are aren't balanced. Now knowing that I can prepare for it.

I guess the take away is don't be scared, there are many ways to accomplish this. Just take it slow and practice it.

I found the best method is to PALM land. There is no violence or the feeling the Mavic will try and run from you.
Raise your palm out 30 cm under the belly of the mavic and it will start to lift as it detects your hand. Once it starts lifting, hold the left stick down (mode 2) and the controller will say "landing".
Just make sure your arm is angled higher than shoulder to prevent injuries. And keep it out firmly, as once the motor shuts, you will feel the weight of the Mavic.

It's that smooth that my mate says it looks graceful with a dash of rainbowgay.

And note, I use a lanyard to assist with the landing.
And also look at the back end to palm land. This helps with orienteering in case (s)hit hits the rotors.
Once you are used to this, you can palm launch the same way.

Has any one tried flicking over to sports then just bring it down onto your hand?

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I dont even turn off the downward vision sensors. I grab the entire unit with two fingers and power down. Its pretty easy once you understand the balance of the Mavic when its dead weight.

I now pretty much exclusively hand launch and hand catch. For me, leaving sensors on, I bring the Mavic down to just above head height and facing away from me. I put my hand out while pushing the left stick down, after the Mavic climbs a little to avoid my hand it comes down nice and soft into the palm of my hand and shuts off. No grabbing or holding on, the process always goes nice and smooth. Experiment a little and use the methods mentioned that you feel the most comfortable with. Neither of the two methods is the right or wrong way to do it, it comes down to which one gives you the most confidence.

Reactions: Mako79
Just grab it at the front, just behind the camera, job done. The sensors won't activate.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I wouldn't see my self landing this thing on the ground ever! Those sonar sensors sure look deleicate and especially that gimbal and camera up front.

Was initially tentative to try hand launching and catching but after trying it today its easy! Just give it a whirl! Used the auto take off right from my hand then brought it back down to just above shoulder height and brought my hand up just in front of the sensors and no problems:)

I still haven't quite figured this out haha. I grabbed it fine at chest height, pulled left stick down and raised it in the air but it didn't rotor down...

will keep trying...

what's the command to shut off the rotors by the way?

I still haven't quite figured this out haha. I grabbed it fine at chest height, pulled left stick down and raised it in the air but it didn't rotor down...

will keep trying...

what's the command to shut off the rotors by the way?

The trick is to grab it from the front, so it's facing you. That shouldn't set off the sensors. Even if the sensors are triggered you should still be able to power down once it's finished trying to get up and out of your hand by just keeping the left stick down for c3secs.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The best way I've found (which is now my standard procedure), is to stick out my hand under it and press "down". It will sense your hand and stop, rise a little, but if you keep it there it will think "ok its all good here" and land on your hand.

Reactions: maikm and J-Dub
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy