Hand launching mavic?

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Mattman, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Ignoring the obvious safety concerns, what are the concerns with hand launching and recovering the mavic? I recover the phantom by hand all the time but rarely launch it by hand. Since the mavic is much more portable and I'll be able to bring it in tighter spaces like off camber forested areas, I see hand launching more often in my future but wanted to see if anyone had some input aside from the obvious safety concerns or clear problems with landing vision etc.

2. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

Hand catching should be easy to do. A few reviews online show people hand catching it. As for launching, it'll be a little trickier since the remote controller does not have a landyard connection. It'll be tough to hold the remote controller and operate the sticks with one hand.

3. Stephen Hoefer

Another negative to hand launching is that it eliminates the precision landing feature. It needs to take a picture of the ground when taking off to work. Thus if you hand launch it won't be able to find its 'takeoff' point when landing using RTH

4. Mattman

Understood. Any other negatives? I'm willing to accept the risk of imprecise landings for the benefit of being able to launch it in many many more places.

5. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

I'll be hand launching the majority of the time. Coordinating the two sticks to start the motors is tricky but you get used to it.

6. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

I had this very question as well. What about placing the Mavic Pro on the ground at first for all the home point pictures and calculations and then grabbing it and then using the slider in the DJI Go app for automated take off. Then when the props spin up and give some upward momentum just chuck it into the air.

Wonder if this would work? I bet that the "technique" needs to be practiced and refined to make this a feasible and successful method of launch.

7. HueJorgan

HueJorgan Well-Known Member

Love it hehehe

"Chuck it into the air"

Might not end well buddy

8. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

There's no need to attempt to chuck it into the air. It'll lift out of your hand just like it lifts off the ground.

9. WolfgangStiller

WolfgangStiller Well-Known Member

I would be very careful if conditions are gusty and the drone is occasionally banking into the wind to hold position.

10. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

One word - Full Coverage Insurance!

OK well thats 3 words. :p

Multiple videos of the Mavic Pro showing it slamming into trees and structures and continuing to fly. The Paradigm has shifted and the days of Phantom drops like a rock and shatters into a million pieces are no longer the case with the Mavic Pro.

It will end with me picking it up and laughing while I throttle up again and chuck it into the air.

11. Mattman

That is a perfect expectation! I fully expect this to be the reality 100% of the time also.