DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone ever been asked for there registration info?

Gooze0520

Reactions
Has anyone ever been asked them to show them there FAA Registration certificate? Who has the right to ask for it?

I was questioned by the Sheriff one time, I never actually showed them my registration but I told them I was registered and showed them my aircraft was marked. I think they had nothing better to do and the regulations were new at that time and didn't quite know what to do so they pestered my for about 20 minutes with questions and checked my ID before leaving me be...

I'm not sure who has the "right" to ask for it, but I've found as long as I'm not flying where I'm not supposed to and I'm courteous it usually works...

Cops have the right even if they are wrong. But really, only if they have a local ordinance - which is becoming more common - unless you're being stupid or someone complains. The FAA certainly has the right. But you're likely never to see an inspector unless you are flying near an airport and then you'd deserve it. Haha.

I have copies and the number on the inside with a tape gun. Have 50 copies coming as stickers so if any authority ask I'm happy to show em. They can even take a copy if they want with their snooty butt

Sent from [emoji211]

Inside the battery cover is my FAA number and contact info if lost/crashed. I put "reward if found" and email, cell number. Ordered the FAA number stickers and put one in the battery compartment too and one ok controller.

Sent from [emoji211]

I've put the FAA number under the battery, and sticker on the side stating "FAA number under battery". We have to assume whoever finds the MP may not know to look under the battery.

The other side has my phone number and "reward if found". I've also put the FAA number on the RC (between the two antenna). This way, if approached, I can show it to them even if away from the case or the MP is in the air. To answer OP, I have not been asked about it yet.

I've put the FAA number under the battery, and sticker on the side stating "FAA number under battery". We have to assume whoever finds the MP may not know to look under the battery.

The other side has my phone number and "reward if found". I've also put the FAA number on the RC (between the two antenna). This way, if approached, I can show it to them even if away from the case or the MP is in the air. To answer OP, I have not been asked about it yet.
Why not just put the FAA number on the side sticker instead of a long message telling them to look under the battery?

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Just personal preference. I'm not a trusting person when it comes to the public. I don't know what the ramifications are if the number is exposed and someone with ill intentions were to get a hold of it. Probably an over-abundance of caution (paranoia even). It'd be like having your driver's license number embroidered on the your jeans, vs. concealed in your wallet.

I put a small sticker of the registration number on the right rear leg. You have to be legit considering how often people are dialing "911" on drone pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I put a small sticker of the registration number on the right rear leg. You have to be legit considering how often people are dialing "911" on drone pilots.

I agree and buy into the community of good Samaritans idea. However, what's the motivation implicit in your assertion that you have to be legit because people are calling 911. Is it the idea that it's more and more likely that an officer of some sort question you about your lawful use of a drone that a civilian found concerning and that so long as you got your sticker, you'll probably be fine?

I agree and buy into the community of good Samaritans idea. However, what's the motivation implicit in your assertion that you have to be legit because people are calling 911. Is it the idea that it's more and more likely that an officer of some sort question you about your lawful use of a drone that a civilian found concerning and that so long as you got your sticker, you'll probably be fine?

Lol. I wish it were that simple. Why give anyone grounds to believe that your activity is unlawful. Not having a registered drone/UAS is grounds in some jurisdictions to confiscate your property. You are already on trial when someone dials "911". The law officer has to determine if there is a violation of the law (which I'm sure some can get creative if you're being a nuisance). Don't give police reason to believe that you are not abiding by the law. It'll save you time and money.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851