DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have anyone else experienced uneven focus ?

I guess there are at least 3 causes:
-Gimbal vibrates on one or more axis, if the Mav is on the table there should be NO "singing" sound from the Gimbal.
If you got that you should recal. the Gimbal

-lens is stuck in its mechanism on one side:
I have seen an image of the focus mechanism and i guess it can be stuck on one side.
What i'd do if i have that problem is to "shake" the mechanism, maybe by pressing an ultransonic toothbrush on the housing and trying to focus meanwhile. Maybe it can "break free". Thats actuallay an idea i just had seeing the way the mechanism works.

-really bad Quality lens or fungus / dirt inside --> youre out of luck until you wanna try to open that tiny thing...

Ender

Last edited:
Here is a photo from before IMU calibration
DJI_0002.00_00_00_21.Still002.jpg

And here is a photo from after.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-23%20at%203.24.52%20PM.png

The problem is still there. It is less, but its there.

Here is a photo from before IMU calibration
DJI_0002.00_00_00_21.Still002.jpg

And here is a photo from after.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-23%20at%203.24.52%20PM.png

The problem is still there. It is less, but its there.

I think you're seeing a balance of the worst. IOW, in the first photo, the clearest image is at the bottom right. On the second photo, the clearest is in the middle. I think the second photo is splitting the difference by making both the top left and bottom right slightly blurry, vs all the blurry in the top left.

How on earth should an IMU calibration solve that Problem ? Its optics ?!?

Ender

Reactions: arciere
I had the same problem, in a weird way it's nice to know that it's a common problem (should mean my unit gets fixed/replaced quicker).

Likely just a QC issue when assembling the lens

Is there a definitive test people can do to confirm we have uneven focus? The guy with the IMU calibration video doesn't seem to state that it fixed all his issues.

I've flown three Phantom configs, and none have such a visible uneven focus. The fishbowl effect sure, but focus was never an issue. With the Mavic, I noticed on shots focused to infinity (using auto focus) that there is a faint "tunnel vision" with the edges out of focus. I thought it was just me. Possibly getting the Mavic so early is turning out to have a few side effects....

I could RMA it, but I'd rather know for sure rather than give up my Mavic for a few weeks.

Trying out the manual focus controls tomorrow... will report back.

Mines has the same issue.. Smh.. Love it so much though.. Ill keep it for a few weeks and then return when the demand dies down. Gotta have it back quickly lol.

Man, I have a feeling mine is doing the same thing on the bottom of the screen, mainly in the second video.Let me know what you guys think

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Sorry,it was a bit short but YES, noone can think of a possible way of fixing this except opening the tiny camera and thats not what you wanna do within the warranty time.

:-(((

Of course you could live with it until after X-Mas when the hype has cooled down and THEN do your RMA to have faster turnaround times...

Ender

Sorry,it was a bit short but YES, noone can think of a possible way of fixing this except opening the tiny camera and thats not what you wanna do within the warranty time.

:-(((

Of course you could live with it until after X-Mas when the hype has cooled down and THEN do your RMA to have faster turnaround times...

Ender
I have some time to return it to the Apple Store, and have one coming from Best Buy. Only thing is that I got Dji care refresh on the thing.

I have some time to return it to the Apple Store, and have one coming from Best Buy. Only thing is that I got Dji care refresh on the thing.

Well as it is a defect you dont need DJICR for that but they say it also speeds up repairs. Only there ARE no repairs ATM as no repair center has parts, at least mine informed me that right now everything goes back to DJI because of no spare parts (especially no Gimbals / Cameras).

Good luck !

Ender

Well as it is a defect you dont need DJICR for that but they say it also speeds up repairs. Only there ARE no repairs ATM as no repair center has parts, at least mine informed me that right now everything goes back to DJI because of no spare parts (especially no Gimbals / Cameras).

Good luck !

Ender

I wonder if Dji care is transferable to another drone if I return it to Apple for a refund or if I exchange for another.

Sent my video to DJI chat, and they confirmed that it looks blurry. Since I got DJI care refresh, I'm stuck with this one. Otherwise I could just return it to apple. They recommended resetting the camera settings, recalibrating IMU and gimbal. We will see if this works.

After recalibrating IMU, resetting camera settings, and calibrating the gimbal it does seem better. It's hard to know for sure, because I was flying in a lot of wind, and didn't push the mavic to it's limits. I also really need those polar pro filters. Some shots were over exposed. I might just go with auto settings next time, but I hate that flicker.

I think I've got you all beat.
This is worse than that. Just hovered in front of my house and shot in 4096, 3840 and 1920. Here is a still from each. Everything looks smudged and wait to you see the 1920. It literally looks like a photoshop posterize filter.

Attachments

• 1-4096.jpg
    1-4096.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 83
  • 2-3840.jpg
    2-3840.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 3-1920.jpg
    3-1920.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals