DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height Limitation (120m)

Sunray

Reactions
Hi All,

I was doing a project for a Client to shoot some skyscraper and I realized that my Mavic height limit stop at 120m only.

This is obviously not sufficient for me as i need aerial view of some building.

Can someone advice what I can do to fly higher? Is it that my setting is wrong?

Thanks to help.

Hi All,

I was doing a project for a Client to shoot some skyscraper and I realized that my Mavic height limit stop at 120m only.

Thanks to help.
You can manually set the limits on altitude and distance in the app settings.
500 meters is the max for altitude.

Hi All,

Thanks to help.
What if you flew from the top of the building?

I don't believe barometric pressure has anything to do with it. It's strictly GPS measurement
GPS is very uncommon to be used for height measurements because it is not accurate. It’s accuracy depends upon satellite orientation. Also, your quad could loose GPS signal or you could be indoors. Most all multi rotors use a parameter pressure to measure height. Below equation to find height...

7dbdfd553885af60adc5b542faafaa65.png

where c is constant, T is temperature, Po is the pressure at sea level, P is the pressure at altitude z

Two methods are used to find the height of the aircraft, sonar sensors (when close to the ground), and a barometer sensor. Two methods are used because a barometer alone is not accurate at lower levels so it may cause landing problems. So they use sonar for up to 2 meters from reference level and after that they use the barometer. By using two methods they can get the most accurate reading.

I have a similar question - if I flew my Mavic over the edge of a cliff that's taller than 120m, will it drop down to avoid exceeding its maximum height? Previously been flying in the flatlands around Cambridge, but on my way out to the Swiss alps - feel like this maybe useful to know!

I have a similar question

This question is raised often. The Mavic has NO IDEA where the ground is, except when it is within about 2 meters of some object below it. The maximum height you configure in the Mavic system is relative to the point you took off. All of the Mavic altitude readings are relative to the point you took off. So if you flew up 10 meters, then straight forward where the ground dropped off quite a bit, there is no change to the Mavic's way of measuring altitude: you're still at 10 meters ATO (above takeoff height).

This question is raised often. The Mavic has NO IDEA where the ground is, except when it is within about 2 meters of some object below it. The maximum height you configure in the Mavic system is relative to the point you took off. All of the Mavic altitude readings are relative to the point you took off. So if you flew up 10 meters, then straight forward where the ground dropped off quite a bit, there is no change to the Mavic's way of measuring altitude: you're still at 10 meters ATO (above takeoff height).
Thanks - very helpful!

Reactions: SixStringer1000
FWIW, the barometric sensor is incredibly sensitive and precise. I can't speak to accuracy, but precision is almost spooky. When recording a flight the option exists to export an srt file that a conventional media player can use as a sub-title database. Thus, playback will show location, speed, and barometric pressure. A one foot change in altitude is reflected in the barometric pressure, consistently, and repeatably.

FWIW, the barometric sensor is incredibly sensitive and precise. I can't speak to accuracy, but precision is almost spooky. When recording a flight the option exists to export an srt file that a conventional media player can use as a sub-title database. Thus, playback will show location, speed, and barometric pressure. A one foot change in altitude is reflected in the barometric pressure, consistently, and repeatably.
And crazy as it sounds, below 30 feet the drone relies on the ultrasonic sensors as much as possible to maintain height as they are even more precise!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark