DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from South Buckinghamshire, UK

Peter UK

Reactions
Hello...

Bought a P3S 3 months ago and just sold it and moved to the Mavic Pro. I listed the P3S on eBay and sold it to a guy who only lives a mile away from me, it's a small world sometimes!

I bought the Mavic whilst on holiday in Florida at the Apple Store in Tampa ($999 so much cheaper than the UK) after seeing a guy fly one off the beach at Indian Shores. I was just amazed by the range, speed and video quality not to mention the portability aspect. If you're that guy with the lime green decals, thank you!

Maiden flight was in Sand Key Park overlooking Clearwater.

Absolutely no problems either with airport security in bringing it home, just put the box in my backpack. I've just ordered a case, sun hood and some decals to complete the package.

Waiting for the weather to improve to get it flying over here as it's been quite windy most days and I'm still feeling a bit nervous.

It's a little bit restrictive in the South of England as there are so many airports and airfields of various sizes but I have a lot of open countrywide around me which will be a great location to practise and build confidence.

Being the wrong side of 50 I suspect that I'm one of the older people flying drones but I've learnt so much from reading the forum and watching videos on You Tube and still have a long way to go.

Have fun...

Hello...

Being the wrong side of 50 I suspect that I'm one of the older people flying drones but I've learnt so much from reading the forum and watching videos on You Tube and still have a long way to go.

Have fun...

Welcome Peter,

And you might be surprised that you are not by far the only one on the wrong side of 50 here :)
Have fun flying and I wish you a dry summer (Yes I know.....UK.....dry......wishful thinking)

Tom

Reactions: Peter UK
Welcome to mavicpilots Peter....it's a great site, with lots of friendly people to help you when things don't go exactly as planned :):(

Plenty of 50+ members on here! -(Im a pre war baby)- It's a very satisfying hobby to get involved with after you retire and have some spare time to release the "inner child". Enjoy your Mavic!

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)
62 here .

Hello...

Bought a P3S 3 months ago and just sold it and moved to the Mavic Pro. I listed the P3S on eBay and sold it to a guy who only lives a mile away from me, it's a small world sometimes!

I bought the Mavic whilst on holiday in Florida at the Apple Store in Tampa ($999 so much cheaper than the UK) after seeing a guy fly one off the beach at Indian Shores. I was just amazed by the range, speed and video quality not to mention the portability aspect. If you're that guy with the lime green decals, thank you!

Absolutely no problems either with airport security in bringing it home, just put the box in my backpack. I've just ordered a case, sun hood and some decals to complete the package.

Waiting for the weather to improve to get it flying over here as it's been quite windy most days and I'm still feeling a bit nervous.

It's a little bit restrictive in the South of England as there are so many airports and airfields of various sizes but I have a lot of open countrywide around me which will be a great location to practise and build confidence.

Have fun...
Howdy from Wyoming Peter UK, no you are among your peers. Many great folk and information here, welcome to the community.

Welcome Peter, also on the wrong side of 50 and a novice flyer too.

Live in South Oxfordshire so let me know of you fancy some flying sometime. Plenty of places round here that are not in restricted airspace.

Andrew.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hello...

Have fun...

Peter,
Greetings from Bermuda! Just received my Magic a few days ago. I graduated from a Blade QX3 and love it! By the way, I don't believe there is a wrong side of 50, I am the north side of 60! Anyway, having good fun with the Mavic . Enjoy yours.
Freddiebda

Reactions: Soundtekk
Welcome Peter, also on the wrong side of 50 and a novice flyer too.

Live in South Oxfordshire so let me know of you fancy some flying sometime. Plenty of places round here that are not in restricted airspace.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew. Whereabouts are you exactly? I'm close to Great Missenden if you know it. Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter & Andrew, I live in Bicester and have just bought back my Mavic from Florida as well - I actually bought the fly more combo from amazon and had it shipped to a amazon locker which all worked perfectly.

If you have some pointers for safe and legal places to fly around Oxfordshire and bucks I'd be very interested!

Regards

Dave (wrong side of 40!)

Hi Peter & Andrew, I live in Bicester and have just bought back my Mavic from Florida as well - I actually bought the fly more combo from amazon and had it shipped to a amazon locker which all worked perfectly.

If you have some pointers for safe and legal places to fly around Oxfordshire and bucks I'd be very interested!

Regards

Dave (wrong side of 40!)

Dave I fly off The Ridgeway between Wanatge and Newbury. There's two locations, one off the A34 at Chilton and another 3 miles out of Wanatge. I launch from the public path and then fly over the fields. Like all newbie's very keen to remain safe and legal and feel that I am not going to upset anyone there. You get the odd passing walker and cyclist. It's the one place round here that is outside all the restricted airspace that mostly covers Oxfordshire although you get all the passing Heathrow traffic which is at 14, 000 feet.

I'd not thought of the ridgeway, that's a very good idea! I work on Milton park most of the time so that would be very handy.

It feels like there are loads of apps telling you were you can't fly but not much telling you of good legal places?

I managed to find a park in Florida with a "drone zone" which was great to use and feel no one was going to come and complain!

Dave,

Happy to meet you one evening if you fancy some flying. The Chilton location is 5 minutes from Milton Park.

I use the NATS Drone Assist App exclusively these days as it enables you to file a flight plan with National Air Traffic Service at Swanick. They then alert any other traffic such as private planes and helicopters in the area that you're flying. I use the UAV Forecast App to check the weather.

Good find on the Drone Park in Florida too.

Good evening all,
Just purchased my Mavic and its waiting for me at home, after flying those 50€ ones around for a while I though I would bite the bullet and step up to the big league. So looking forward to my first flight, I'm like a kid with a new toy (47yrs :oops:) but just hooked on it. Watched tons of YouTube videos.

But just found out about the stringent laws in Spain :(

Dave,

Happy to meet you one evening if you fancy some flying. The Chilton location is 5 minutes from Milton Park.

I use the NATS Drone Assist App exclusively these days as it enables you to file a flight plan with National Air Traffic Service at Swanick. They then alert any other traffic such as private planes and helicopters in the area that you're flying. I use the UAV Forecast App to check the weather.

Good find on the Drone Park in Florida too.

Yes - would be very happy to meet up! Let me know when you available.

Dave

Great - Tuesday and Wednesday are best for me as they are my days off. Let me know what works for you.

Have been flying at three different locations on The Ridgeway today. Off the A34 at Chiton which was busy with dog walkers, cyclists and runners. Between Wantage and Newbury where I saw a lot less people and finally at East Hendred where there was very few people around.

The interesting thing that surprised me was that not one person complained about me being there. In fact many people stopped and chatted and were genuinely interested. That said I made sure I landed when horses and dog walkers were passing just to be on the safe side.

East Hendred would be my favorite location as there's a bridal path you can walk down that takes you well away from The Ridgeway and people. From there there's just open fields.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000