DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from the UK

Dwayne

Reactions
Hi all , I've been perusing the forums for a while and had my mavic about 3 weeks . I have to start off by saying a big hats off to dji what an outstanding creation the Mavic is . I would say that I am new to RC , though used to fly a small bi-plane with my father when he was a chief tech in the air force , though never good enough to fly his prized Vulcan . If he was alive today with his background in radar and a life long RCer , he would be astounded by this bit of kit .

I'm glad to say I ordered my mavic before joining the Forum , it would have for sure put doubts in my mind had I joined first , however I do realise most come here to vent when they have problems . So not really a fair representation of the thousands of happy customers , whom I consider myself one of now . it exceeds my expectations as a keen photographer I just wanted something small to pop in with my dslr for an added perspective and have been waiting and looking online for the last couple of years for for something with the mavs specs .
One thing I have to ask my great love in photography is lightning . LOL can you see where this is going , I.m lucky enough to live in rural Essex UK with a clear line of site , well would have to say infinity to the south west which is predominately the direction of storms for where I live . I built an observatory a few years ago and use it to take lightening photos across the fields , so figure the sliding roof makes a good helipad. I'm not sure that I actually want to fly into the storm more of a set my cameras up with lightening triggers having one with a telephoto trained on a hovering mavic of course the mvavic will be filming the approaching storm , would love that photo . I can feel a few shaking their heads reading this , what is this Tom -foolery ? No not a complete fool I realise that storm magnetism may well send things haywire so plan on teathering the mavic with fishing line and probably the prop cages to stop it catchig in the bades .
Can anyone see any drawbacks to this plan ? , other than a direct lightening strike will the magnetism cause irreparable damage to any of the sensors , I do have dji refresh .
Oh btw I'm Dwayne thanks for letting me waffle on , would love to hear your opinins on the lightening thing , happy flying

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

I do have dji refresh
I don't know the answer to your question. However, I can tell you DJI Care Refresh will not cover damage caused by such a flight. If you decide to partake, be prepared to purchase a new Mavic out of your own pocket if things go south. That of course means you'll lose your DJI Care Refresh too since it cannot be transferred to another Mavic.

Hi msinger and thanks for the welcome and info , I've read many of your helpful posts so no reason to query your authority especially as a dealer , but why would refresh not cover it if it was recoverable , I'm sure I've read posts from people crashing into water , recovering and claiming , or am I wrong ?

especially as a dealer
I'm not a dealer -- just a sponsor of this site.

I'm sure I've read posts from people crashing into water , recovering and claiming , or am I wrong ?
You're correct. Flying over water is perfectly normal. Intentionally flying into storms and/or tethering your Mavic to the ground is not business as usual. I guess it could be covered if you don't tell DJI what you were doing. They are pretty good at reading flight logs though.

Hi all , I've been perusing the forums for a while and had my mavic about 3 weeks . I have to start off by saying a big hats off to dji what an outstanding creation the Mavic is . I would say that I am new to RC , though used to fly a small bi-plane with my father when he was a chief tech in the air force , though never good enough to fly his prized Vulcan . If he was alive today with his background in radar and a life long RCer , he would be astounded by this bit of kit .

I'm glad to say I ordered my mavic before joining the Forum , it would have for sure put doubts in my mind had I joined first , however I do realise most come here to vent when they have problems . So not really a fair representation of the thousands of happy customers , whom I consider myself one of now . it exceeds my expectations as a keen photographer I just wanted something small to pop in with my dslr for an added perspective and have been waiting and looking online for the last couple of years for for something with the mavs specs .
One thing I have to ask my great love in photography is lightning . LOL can you see where this is going , I.m lucky enough to live in rural Essex UK with a clear line of site , well would have to say infinity to the south west which is predominately the direction of storms for where I live . I built an observatory a few years ago and use it to take lightening photos across the fields , so figure the sliding roof makes a good helipad. I'm not sure that I actually want to fly into the storm more of a set my cameras up with lightening triggers having one with a telephoto trained on a hovering mavic of course the mvavic will be filming the approaching storm , would love that photo . I can feel a few shaking their heads reading this , what is this Tom -foolery ? No not a complete fool I realise that storm magnetism may well send things haywire so plan on teathering the mavic with fishing line and probably the prop cages to stop it catchig in the bades .
Can anyone see any drawbacks to this plan ? , other than a direct lightening strike will the magnetism cause irreparable damage to any of the sensors , I do have dji refresh .
Oh btw I'm Dwayne thanks for letting me waffle on , would love to hear your opinins on the lightening thing , happy flying
cool idea but keep cash for a new Mavic just in case you get fried. Then again i would like too see the footage. I Cant say go ahead as its probably a bad idea in reality but Hey there is a fine line between genius and madness right?

You pays your money you take your chances :)

I'm not a dealer -- just a sponsor of this site.
Congrats on a having a helpful forum with a great data base of knowledgeable people . Hope I never need it for the crash post .

Thanks again for the info I will bear in mind and weigh up the odds vs the risk taking refresh out of the equation , I don't intend on having a flyaway hence the tethering probably 10m away 5m high , and if I'm trying to justify it to myself I spent an awful lot more than a mavic to take photo,s of the aurora .

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wsutter335