DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! Maiden flight and my still images look awful...

Reactions
I just got my MP yesterday and took it out for a maiden flight this morning. Made sure that all firmware is up to date on MP/RC and just flew it around my neighborhood to get acquainted with the controls. I had a P3P before so I'm already use to the DJI eco-system and various settings / controls, however the still pictures I took today look TERRIBLE!

I'm wondering if I have a defective camera as some have said before in previous threads or if I am missing something critical with the camera settings. I left everything on auto just as it came from the factory as a baseline with the exception of the video transmitting quality which I raised to 1080P using my iPhone 7 Plus. I tried focusing the camera several different times and each picture looks like I ran it through a water color processing filter. The camera also seems to have a difficult time focusing and maintaining focus throughout my flight today. I found myself focusing each time I wanted to take a picture and they look bad.

I did a lot of reading on this forum before I got my Mavic and understand that this is a known issue, however I wanted to open it up to you all and get your thoughts. Am I missing some crucial settings that need to be adjusted, or did I get a busted camera. I don't want to be screen grabbing pictures from video and I'm hoping it's a user related issue and not system related because I am going to be bummed out having to work with DJI and getting a replacement if its the latter :(.

I attached a couple different images for reference. If it helps, in every image I was focusing on the center of the picture. Did I set my expectations too high or do these look normal to everyone? Thanks!

DJI_0001 2.JPG
DJI_0010.JPG DJI_0020.JPG

Last edited:
Zoom in a little bit on the pictures and you'll see what I'm talking about, more so in the first image. The tree's all run together and everything in the background looks like a water color painting.

I fail to see how these images are garbage. Mine look no different and I would consider this normal for a 12mp camera.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: grizzard
You expect SLR performance? Those pics are miles above what i have gotten from my mavic. The camera is basicly a glorified cellphone camera in the sky with a decent lens.

Ifnyou want true ohotos look at the inspire 2. Thats a real camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

I can see what you are talking about. They look fine in the normal view, but once you zoom in, even a little, it gets very blurry. Watercolor-look is an accurate description.

You expect SLR performance? Those pics are miles above what i have gotten from my mavic. The camera is basicly a glorified cellphone camera in the sky with a decent lens.

Ifnyou want true ohotos look at the inspire 2. Thats a real camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app
I'm definitely not expecting SLR performance, but I feel like my P3P took better pictures. That's why I'm trying to wrap my head around. I love the portability of the MP which is why I upgraded, however I just want to make sure that I'm not settling for a lesser camera if you know what I mean.

I don't know, maybe it's all in my head?! I feel like looking back at my P3P pictures, they are crisp and clear compared to what I took today. I also feel like some parts of the image aren't focused. For example, on the first picture I posted the Stop Ahead written on the road towards the top looks blurry as does the surrounding palm tree's and apartment building to the right. They also appear to have the water color effect I mentioned earlier. I'm not even zooming in, just looking at them through preview on my MacBook.

Am I making a huge issue out of nothing or do I need to finesse the settings a bit more manually? What tips can I use to focus on the shot better?

Thanks again for all the replies everyone, I appreciate it!

I don't know, maybe it's all in my head?! I feel like looking back at my P3P pictures, they are crisp and clear compared to what I took today. I also feel like some parts of the image aren't focused. For example, on the first picture I posted the Stop Ahead written on the road towards the top looks blurry as does the surrounding palm tree's and apartment building to the right. They also appear to have the water color effect I mentioned earlier. I'm not even zooming in, just looking at them through preview on my MacBook.

Am I making a huge issue out of nothing or do I need to finesse the settings a bit more manually? What tips can I use to focus on the shot better?

Thanks again for all the replies everyone, I appreciate it!

To me, these images look incredible. But you can certainly tweak the settings to get a better image. In the image settings, make sure style is set to none, as well as color. In addition, play around with the dial on the top right of the controller to adjust the ISO.

Reactions: arizwildcat520
Have you tried lowering the resolution of the video feed back down to 720P? I read that when you bump it up to 1080P it also lowers the recorded video to 1080P. I wonder if this also applies to still images?

I can see what you mean when you examine the pics more closely. I have to agree with some of the other posters that it is indeed a glorified cell phone camera that is taking the pics. However, just like any cell camera, maybe a few minor tweaks might gain some improvement. I, too, hae a P3P and will have to compare pics of the same thing/setting. I will report back if it is indeed something lacking from the MP's picture quality.

Reactions: arizwildcat520
Sounds exactly like my experience. Stop shooting jpeg and shoot in RAW. It's an obvious jpeg compression issue that makes the pictures look like cartoons.

You have to shoot RAW no doubt. This is a glorified cell phone camera. You want better pics, you need the P4P. Also understand that these pics SOOC are too big to post on the net. Once you down rez the shots they will become more resolute for viewing. Like the Mavic for what it is, not for what its not. Your not doing 16x20m prints with this bird. Video still looks good and for something that fits in your pocket, its the best choice around bar none. having said that, look into the P4P, the camera is a def. jump up, no bad lens flare at all. Very DSLR looking.......

Sounds exactly like my experience. Stop shooting jpeg and shoot in RAW. It's an obvious jpeg compression issue that makes the pictures look like cartoons.
I think you and Hidaven hit the nail right on the head (palm to the face)! I was shooting with jpeg instead of RAW this morning and I'm sure that is the cause of my concerns with the pictures. Thinking back to my P3P, I was shooting in RAW which would explain why the pictures I took today look worse than my P3P. I am definitely going to make the adjustment to RAW and do a comparison to check out the difference, this is excellent advice for all MP owners!

Looking back I shouldn't have read so many threads surrounding problems with the MP while I waited for my mine to arrive. The first thing I did was keep an eye out for those issues and once I saw the images from today, I immediately thought back to the camera quality issues that have plagued a lot of owners. This is also the same reason why I no longer do the dead pixel test on any of my new phones & devices. When you are out looking for a flaw or a problem, you will almost certainly find one...

Thanks again to everyone that posted, I will post my RAW shots later for comparison to see if truly corrects the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: sixthhour
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82