DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP . Mavic goes crazy / over ocean . appears to flip ? or fly upside down / WTF ?

lone droner

Reactions
Went out for a little fly decided to go over to Pacific Beach almost didn't make it my maverick decided to go crazy. I'm just glad it came back home.....HELP !!!
,,,,,,,,,,,,,I did use a big piece of cardboard

Last edited:
Please upload the DAT file from the Mavic so that we can see why this happened.

Rob

Reactions: lone droner
It can't fly literally upside-down. Wind will cause it to react and tilt to maintain position.

You need to give a lot more specific information. What you did exactly, what happened exactly, what software exactly, and so on. There are threads on this forum for how to retrieve flight log data.

sorry here it is , maybe not upside down but ....close to lookin so....When I first took off. I did notice some strange things happening with auto takeoff that is it would not stop at 3 m or 4 m or 5 m. It kept going up and up and I had to fight it to stop it from going up automatically just because I used auto takeoff ,,,I make sure I calibrate the compass before the flight

Reactions: Jim596
Very bad idea landing/taking off in the sand..... You probably got some sand in the gimbal and it got wedged while flying.... If you want to keep it flying properly, don't use the sand for anything other than to fly well above.

Interesting. Maybe the gimbal just had a wee moment? Landing on the sand is probably not the most ideal option. The parking lot or even the roof of your van would be better. Once sand gets into the motors and gimbal it's just a matter of time before things go bad.
Hope you get a result from the .dat file.

Very bad idea landing/taking off in the sand..... You probably got some sand in the gimbal and it got wedged while flying.... If you want to keep it flying properly, don't use the sand for anything other than to fly well above.
I used cardboard

Interesting. Maybe the gimbal just had a wee moment? Landing on the sand is probably not the most ideal option. The parking lot or even the roof of your van would be better. Once sand gets into the motors and gimbal it's just a matter of time before things go bad.
Hope you get a result from the .dat file.
I made sure I used a big piece of cardboard

Reactions: GlenT
Just hand take off and catch. Also being tucked in behind the car door is not the best option. My guess it was mainly the gimbal moving around. Not so much the Mavic.

Just hand take off and catch. Also being tucked in behind the car door is not the best option. My guess it was mainly the gimbal moving around. Not so much the Mavic.
Pretty **** scary nonetheless never seen nothing like that ever happened to none of my drones I have three of them ..And then it had to happen over the ocean I probably almost had to change my underwear

I had this happen, well at the controller the video went nuts, I thought a bird had attacked it, which happens here at the right time of the hear. I hit RTH and waited, it come back. When I reviewed the vision nothing had happened and it was just the video feed, which is different in this case, but it makes your blood run cold thats for sure.

I had this happen, well at the controller the video went nuts, I thought a bird had attacked it, which happens here at the right time of the hear. I hit RTH and waited, it come back. When I reviewed the vision nothing had happened and it was just the video feed, which is different in this case, but it makes your blood run cold thats for sure.
After this happened, I was ready to get rid of the **** thing too **** scary to have a hobby make you worry and wonder too much... took it out again today,,,So far it looks okay but I don't want to take it out over the water anymore.

I think mine was just interference, when flying in the city you see a lot of warnings, out in the country there is none. I dont tent to fly over distance in the city, maybe a KM or 2, only out bush.. At least out there I have a chance of finding it. In the city someone would just take it if found, even with my details on it, and a tracker.

I'm certain that was a gimbal malfunction. The Mavic was just fine. Again, even on cardboard you can't prevent that fine sand from getting in the Mavic. Not to mention the salty mist (the air looked heavy with moisture in your video.)

Reactions: bertram33
My lift kit just arrived today. unless its a hard surface I have been hand launching and catching to keep it out of the dirt, but the lift kit will help a lot. Also just ordered a "sun hood" gimbal cover, and this is just to protect the gimbal a little if I was to have a rough landing for some reason.

It would appear that it wasnt the drone but rather your gimbal that went nuts. Drones dont generally fly well upside down. Perhaps the Mavick was peeeved off at been called a "Maverick" !

Reactions: MavicPro2
Was it just the gimbal flipping out or the craft itself? Did you turn off Visual Positioning Sensor when flying over water. Monochrome surfaces can confuse the craft and cause erratic behavior.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom