DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help needed - trying to get the best video IQ out of my Mavic

collins

Reactions
I have had my Mavic for about a month now and I have been trying to get the best video IQ out of the drone that I can by trying all the settings. I am basically a stills shooter so I am a newbie to both video and drones.

I am not expecting miracles simply for my footage to match the better footage that I have seen out there posted on youtube (in terms of IQ more than content.)

It has been quite challenging but I think I am making progress...

Here is a short clip from my latest footage - 2.7k downres to 1080p. For the most part it looks pretty good to me.

But there is 'aliasing'. By 'aliasing' I mean almost zebra like stripes (particularly noticeable on the blue roof at the end of the clip.) Other than that I am pretty happy.

Is the aliasing caused by?
1) Oversharpening in camera (sharpening set to +1)
2) Too fast a shutter speed

...or either/both...

...and...

Can I get rid of it in post?

It's an iPhone with wings.

Having said that, in the right light you can get fantastic images. Here's pretty much what you need: a decent set of ND filters.

Set the camera to Cine or neutral (not D-Log). Shoot at 2.7. Err on the slightly underexposed side. Focus, focus, focus.

Grade in DaVinci.

Bob becomes your uncle.

It's an iPhone with wings.

Having said that, in the right light you can get fantastic images. Here's pretty much what you need: a decent set of ND filters.

Set the camera to Cine or neutral (not D-Log). Shoot at 2.7. Err on the slightly underexposed side. Focus, focus, focus.

Grade in DaVinci.

Bob becomes your uncle.

Yes. I agree on all points.
1) Good set of ND filter. Tick.
2) DJIs codec seems pretty fragile in post. So D-LOG doesnt seem to give an advantage. I have used here Cine +1, -1, 0. Then just tweak in post.
3) 2.7k gives slightly more ability to adjust in post than 4k.
4) No scope to ETTR. Err on the underexposure. Increasing say half a stop in post seems to work ok.
5) Focus. Missed focus ends up with blotchy footage

My guess is that all the NLEs do a good job in post. I use Premiere.

I've got a question re: focusing. Should you focus on what you want to be the primary piece of your video more or less continuously, either manually or by tapping in the device's screen?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots