DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

help on DNG files: it's me or the mavic?

Reactions: Pescantini
Both your images were over exposed.
But thanks to the DNG-format you can do a lot of corrections.
I corrected for WB and Exposure.
View attachment 1742 View attachment 1743

thanks TonG, I played too with camera raw and i noticed the over exposure, still I see A LOT of purple chromatic aberration, which I corrected below. is it normal or bad light refrection?

thanks again
prova 1 mavic greenland 2.JPG

thanks TonG, I played too with camera raw and i noticed the over exposure, still I see A LOT of purple chromatic aberration, which I corrected below. is it normal or bad light refrection?

thanks again
View attachment 1744
I didn't correct for chromatic aberration and I don't see a lot of purple CA.
If I correct your images in camera raw for CA I can't see any differences.
Are you sure it is CA or are the just colors.

My corrections on 0001.DNG
Schermafbeelding 2016-11-30 om 15.52.35.png

I see a lot of purple, probably because of the low sunlight due to wintertime...
thanks for the help!

I see a lot of purple, probably because of the low sunlight due to wintertime...
thanks for the help!

I corrected the WB to neutral but that might be to cold. It is always a matter of taste and esthetics.

The neutral point for me was color of the asphalt on that little road.

Hi guys,
I just shot these 2 pictures, the DNG looks horrible
it is some wrong settings, a bad light or should I be concerned about some problem with the Mavic?
thanks!!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7083570/DJI_0001.DNG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7083570/DJI_0002.DNG
It's the Mavic not you. I've read elsewhere about RAW photos being over exposed vs. jpeg. Hopefully a program glitch corrected in a future update. Also, jpegs on this have sharpness applied. The camera is small and optical quality is less (cheaper glass with less elements) and will give you more CA/purple fringing on high contrast edges. I can remove/improve in Lightroom.

It's the Mavic not you. I've read elsewhere about RAW photos being over exposed vs. jpeg. Hopefully a program glitch corrected in a future update. Also, jpegs on this have sharpness applied. The camera is small and optical quality is less (cheaper glass with less elements) and will give you more CA/purple fringing on high contrast edges. I can remove/improve in Lightroom.
Does this mean that raw is useless? And we should just use jpeg?

Raw captures everything and makes it easier to recover and expand the dynamic range in post where as jpeg has less room to save, especially highlights. I'll play with mine and see. I'm an avid photographer and usually shoot my SLR's in RAW. For now my short answer would be to purposely under expose in RAW and keep an eye on your -EV for future use. Definitely shoot raw on a shot with white clouds and dark ground to "save it" later.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Raw captures everything and makes it easier to recover and expand the dynamic range in post where as jpeg has less room to save, especially highlights. I'll play with mine and see. I'm an avid photographer and usually shoot my SLR's in RAW. For now my short answer would be to purposely under expose in RAW and keep an eye on your -EV for future use. Definitely shoot raw on a shot with white clouds and dark ground to "save it" later.

But this mean you have to do post to get something out of them? What software are you using? Photoshop I assume.

Alright but my dng pics have dimension of 960x540 and size of 17MB when jpg are 4000x250 and 3.5MB
camera setting is jpg+raw
Doesn't make real sense to me.

Raw files give you everything captured on the sensor so you can modify and "burn" your own jpegs later. When in JPEG mode on your camera/Mavic pro, the program is set to burn in your predetermined settings (contrast, saturation, etc.) AND your predetermined aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9, etc.) that's why your pixel ratio size is smaller.

Reactions: Jeromeo
Alright but my dng pics have dimension of 960x540 and size of 17MB when jpg are 4000x250 and 3.5MB
camera setting is jpg+raw
Doesn't make real sense to me.

I have the same issue which left me confused as well. I have never worked with raw images but expected the resolution to look at least equivalent to jpeg. Unfortunately what I view is highly pixelated comparatively. Could it be the program I used to view the .dng (paint shop pro)?
Disclaimer: first time drone owner and forum poster. Thank you for your expertise and patience!

I have the same issue which left me confused as well. I have never worked with raw images but expected the resolution to look at least equivalent to jpeg. Unfortunately what I view is highly pixelated comparatively. Could it be the program I used to view the .dng (paint shop pro)?
Disclaimer: first time drone owner and forum poster. Thank you for your expertise and patience!
Yes but if you use the right program like lightroom. You will see the reel size and pixels so you will be able to zoom in.

The RAW files aren't really meant to be viewed until converted after any adjustments.
You can get a significantly better end result making your own tweaks rather than let the camera do the job, however the JPGs will often be perfectly OK.
Best option will be record RAW+JPG and see if you can get into RAW processing later.

JPEG gives you something pretty good out of the box.
Looking at a RAW without any adjustments will always look much worse, BUT has the potential to become much better once appropriate processing is applied.
That processing is a pretty complex skill to learn, anything but straightforward and takes a lot of time but can be very rewarding.

If you're lazy like me, Photomatix and probably some other programs will do the postprocessing for you- opening the program, dragging the DNG into it, and picking how you want it to come out from a menu, and it'll turn those DNGs into 4k (maybe a couple pixels less) JPEGs.

If you're lazy like me, Photomatix and probably some other programs will do the postprocessing for you- opening the program, dragging the DNG into it, and picking how you want it to come out from a menu, and it'll turn those DNGs into 4k (maybe a couple pixels less) JPEGs.

Thanks all, I didn't realize DNGs would look pixilated until they were processed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji