DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with disconnects

Golfnut

Reactions
I hear a lot about disconnects. I haven't got my Mavic yet but when I do I will be using a Samsung S7 in my controller and it seems to be prone to disconnects. What exactly happens with a disconnect and what action should you take to re-gain control?

Sent from my SM-T800 using MavicPilots mobile app

I hear a lot about disconnects. I haven't got my Mavic yet but when I do I will be using a Samsung S7 in my controller and it seems to be prone to disconnects. What exactly happens with a disconnect and what action should you take to re-gain control?

Sent from my SM-T800 using MavicPilots mobile app
A disconnect of your device (Samsung S7) will not affect the ability to control the aircraft since you will (should) still maintain a control link.
This is why it is so important to maintain visual line of sight at all times and not fly out to stupid distances since a loss of video link and telemetry at long range means you have no idea where your aircraft is and can only rely on RTH. If your aircraft has also lost GPS, RTH will not function.
If you are within line of sight you can always fly home manually.

So you're saying that the controller is still in control of the drone. The only thing I lose with a disconnect is the video link. Now if the software crashes (not sure if that happens but it is software after all), then I assume I lose everything. If the drone loses connection to the remote as a result of software failure, is it pre-programmed to RTH? I assume I would then reboot the phone and/or restart the software. Would it then automatically reconnect itself to the drone allowing me to regain control?. BTW the advice to maintain line of sight is sound. I have no idea why the first thing some of these new owners want to do is to see how far away they can get from their investment.

if the software crashes (not sure if that happens but it is software after all), then I assume I lose everything.
You can still continue to fly with the remote controller if your mobile devices shuts off and/or DJI GO crashes.

If the drone loses connection to the remote as a result of software failure, is it pre-programmed to RTH?
The Mavic will never lose connection to the remote controller if the software fails. However, it will return home (using the default settings) if the remote controller disconnects from the Mavic.

I assume I would then reboot the phone and/or restart the software. Would it then automatically reconnect itself to the drone allowing me to regain control?
DJI GO should reconnect after restarting your phone and/or DJI GO.

Hi all, I'm on the most current software (did the update 2days ago).
Had 2 disconnects already (one on the ground, one this morning while flying). I have a Galaxy S7.
My thoughts:
may charging phone cause the usb port to be shut down by the controller at some point?
(today I had 68% phone battery when I started so the phone had to be charged from the controller)

I dont think it's a physical connector problem, since replugging doesnt connect it.

restarting the phone, the app, DOESNT connect my phone to video feed!
The only thing that helped me: restarting the controller (and the phone? not sure about the phone restart neccesary)

Today when I was 200m away and fog closed in over my head I really prayed that the drone will keep GPS link for RTH to work - and it did - lucky me!

Hope they fix this soon, other than this, the mavic is a fantastic drone! (and I had quite many different ones, check my RCSchim channel)
greetings,
Mario

In case of disconnection I'd disconnect/reconnect the controller side of the USB cable, since that would likely reinitialise the controller's USB port by switching it to device mode and back to host mode.

In case of disconnection I'd disconnect/reconnect the controller side of the USB cable, since that would likely reinitialise the controller's USB port by switching it to device mode and back to host mode.

Nope, this wouldnt help in my case. They only way to get connection on phone back was to reboot the controller. (this was of course with the one disconnect I had while the drone was on the ground).
Today, when it happend in the air I had to use RTH. Didnt wanna reboot the controller and lose the last bit of control over the drones destiny :)

A disconnect of your device (Samsung S7) will not affect the ability to control the aircraft since you will (should) still maintain a control link.
This is why it is so important to maintain visual line of sight at all times and not fly out to stupid distances since a loss of video link and telemetry at long range means you have no idea where your aircraft is and can only rely on RTH. If your aircraft has also lost GPS, RTH will not function.
If you are within line of sight you can always fly home manually.
You never seem to miss an opportunity to bicker about line of sight even to the point of being distracting to the discussion. The OP just wants to have control of his Mavic. He never mentioned anything about flying out "stupid distances." As demonstrated on youtube, there are quite a few people who have been well within VLOS and lost control of their Mavic. He was looking for help so that doesn't happen to him.

Reactions: Fireblade
You can still continue to fly with the remote controller if your mobile devices shuts off and/or DJI GO crashes.

That is good to know!

You never seem to miss an opportunity to bicker about line of sight even to the point of being distracting to the discussion. The OP just wants to have control of his Mavic. He never mentioned anything about flying out "stupid distances." As demonstrated on youtube, there are quite a few people who have been well within VLOS and lost control of their Mavic. He was looking for help so that doesn't happen to him.
Thank you for your most helpful and insightful post, much appreciated.
If you care to read the OP's post again and get your facts correct instead of being so concerned about having a pop at me you will see that the OP was actually talking about a device disconnect not a controller disconnect which is why he mentioned a Samsung S7.
I pointed out that in the event of such an incident, control link is maintained however, since telemetry and fpv can be lost in some circumstances your only point of reference would be VLOS.
I make no excuse for pointing out to people (many of who are new to this hobby) that they should be maintaining VLOS on their aircraft at all times. Educating individuals who maybe unaware of RPAS laws and regulations is preferable to having them getting themselves into trouble, losing their aircraft or worst of all, causing incident or injury to others.
I would venture to suggest you look closer to home at your own posting on this thread which is far more off topic and distracting than the flow of information contained herein.
Thank you once again for your contribution to Mavic Pilots.

Last edited:
No problem with disconnects or distance. I can vouch that battery is the limiting factor for range. Incredibly solid downlink. It's amazing.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Update and a few facts from my side:
had the last disconnect on friday (18.11.). Here app disconnected from controller, I used RTH button on controller and all was fine.
- I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7, side USB port to controller
- Mavic is on current firmware
- on the same day I noticed a DJI Go app update (android now on 3.1.0(7))
- since this I didnt have an disconnect (had 4 flights since then, on different locations)

what I'm trying on the phone:
- close all apps, clen up memory (with smart manager)

- GO INTO Airplane mode (this is my biggest suspect, could fit to a few guys here reporting they had it in very remote areas as well - remote area: low cell coverage - phone runs in high power mode?)

- try to have a fully charged phone (my suspicion here: if the controller has to charge the phone with too much amps the USB port is disabled from the controller side. this is why it only works again if you reboot the controller) That being said, this morning my phone was at 65% and I flew 12mins with great morning light... no disconnect.

I will continue to perform this steps prior to each flight and report if a scary disconnect happens again.
If no disconnect the next week, I will try flying and testing without airplane mode on the phone.

Would be cool if someone here that can "reproduce" disconnects would also try to see if airplane mode has an impact?

Hope this is fixed already with new app version? Thanks for participating in this riddle.

OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE?!?!
The only other little issue I found so far: obstacle avoidance freaks out if flying directly into the sun.
Had a high pulse moment shortly when that happend and I was quite far out, the drone wouldnt move fwd anymore :) I switched to Sportmode (which disables obstacle avoidance) and it was fine again!

greets, RCSchim

I'm using a regular iPhone 6. I haven't had a single issue . As always I update to the newest firmware as soon as it available. No problems to report. Still keeping the AC close on most flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121